The House Agrees: ISPs Can Sell Your Data Without Permission

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Unfortunately, people have to learn somewhere. Personally, I voted for Regan in 1980, and when I found out that he trashed all the alternative energy programs the govt had started at that time, it became obvious what he and his party supported. Never again!

Except that the ISP has no idea who the request came from when it pops out of a VPN, which is the whole point. The line of connection between you the person and what sites you are browsing is broken by the encrypted VPN. So all the data the VPN ISP collects is essentially useless noise since the value is in attaching a specific request to a specific people for the purpose of advertising.

This of course assumes that a) The VPN is setup correctly in the first place. b) the VPN isn't betraying you and selling your history on its own. c) that your ISP isn't launching a man in the middle attack and stripping away the encryption between you and the VPN in the first place.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Given just how prevalent Google, Facebook, and Microsoft among all the other smaller companies that have all been doing this same kind of things for years now the selective over dramatic fake outrage over this is hilarious to me personally.

Yeah it's not great that ISP's are doing this, but none of it was great to begin with so to me really it's just more of the same damn thing. Seeing as I use MicroSpies Windows 10 like many others I just don't see the outrage. Also these tech sites pumped up Windows 10 in the first place and largely overlooked all the telemetry they pointed it out sure, but largely concluded as a consensus upgrade anyway because reasons.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Politicians are filtered at the base, and are hooked up in leverage scandals they did or did not. Even if they make it through (a lifetime of hiding while being part of the system that mediates this, practically helping the system get rid of disruptive elements), elections are too few and far apart to keep up with tech. This, and many other issues, need a revolution to get through. The elite need to realize that, and weight keeping milking the same old cows vs. the guillotine prospect as happens in revolutions, even if the guillotine will be used on the facade and not the actual puppeteers. Also puppets can be removed if they deviate too much (even assassinated), for a new facade to be presented to the people and grab their 1-person-1-vote.
Mechanisms, such as FightForTheFuture, ready, with sharp shared attention looking for when the system goes for profit at the acceptable risk of getting caught... good when calling 'bad' the other side. So, this 'bad' other side, the system, is our enemy, and it should not be like this.
baunic.blogspot.com/2017/02/lend-me-your-rage-finger.html

santiagodraco

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Trump is really working hard for his money. He's expecting a big windfall after he leaves office (which will hopefully be soon by impeachment). He's taking using political office for future financial gain to new heights. And we thought Russia was corrupt.

Nothing to see here people...it was a new regulation that Congress over turned...in other words tomorrow will be just like yesterday. Google is an ISP also but nobody seems to care that they read your emails and can sell the info per the user agreement ? Why is everyone so worked up about placing new restrictions on ISP's ? Is there a story about ISP's violating peoples rights over the last 25 years that I missed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.