The HP Slate is Finally Official; It Costs $800!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
If I had plenty of money I would buy it if I needed something of that form-factor. But for less money you can have a netbook with keyboard and same (or more) functionality.
This is for executives so they can show off their new toy, just like iPhone was at the time (now its a war)

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]dkant1n[/nom]If I had plenty of money I would buy it if I needed something of that form-factor. But for less money you can have a netbook with keyboard and same (or more) functionality.This is for executives so they can show off their new toy, just like iPhone was at the time (now its a war)[/citation]HYPOCRISY

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
That damn thing looks ridiculous. No one in their right mind would agree with using a fully featured OS on a MOBILE DEVICE. It's like putting a Yugo motor in a Chevy Suburban.

G

HP has never been a good experience with me. Their software is like a parasite; its there doing something worthless and very annoying to remove. I removed their software a month ago, but i found out last week that it was still in the kernal program hogging cpu performance. After removing it my computer, it runs as fast as it was new. Sorry guys, but i just don't like HP at all, software and hardware.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Looks like a semi-decent value proposition from my end. Come on, Atom Z540 (dual core!) @ 1.86 GHz VS A4 single-core ARM 1 GHz, 2 GB RAM VS 512 MB, Broadcom HD video chip @1080p VS PowerVR SGX 535 @720p. Beats the living crap outta iTampon 64GB for 100 bux more, that's for sure. iTampon's stand + case + stylus would run for more than $200 from the fruity-themed toymaker, so there is your price difference. I'd guesstimate the power of the cpu to be about 3-4 that of A4, 4 times the RAM, similar screen size. However, this tablet is an actual computer (capable of compiling its own programs), something an iTampon is most definitely NOT. And if I can get the refund for Windows, then it will be even cheaper than that too. I could run Ubuntu 10.10 (with touchscreen support) and/or compile Android for it from git (come on Intel, make that x86 Android!). Just hoping that Broadcom put out a good driver for their chip for linux... However, it does nothing useful to me that my Aspire One 8.9" (with Ubuntu) doesn't do already, touchscreen is useless when editing documents for school but can be fun for the web, and lack of included keyboard is a put-off for me, so you got some work cut out for you HP!

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Wow that $599 iPad is so overpriced. Apple is always overpriced. I'm gonna buy an $800 HP tablet instead so I can save money and get better value.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dkant1n[/nom]If I had plenty of money I would buy it if I needed something of that form-factor. But for less money you can have a netbook with keyboard and same (or more) functionality.This is for executives so they can show off their new toy, just like iPhone was at the time (now its a war)[/citation]
Huh? So you belittle the product by saying it's an overpriced toy for executives..... but in the same sentence, you admit that you'd buy one if you had the money. Sorry, but you are a joke.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
this would be a great tool for inventory management in any business (among other things), right now a lot of company's use the symbol scanners that sell for over $1200 a pop. and all they do is scan an item, print a label, add/remove form inventory and look up stock. i can see a employee walking though a store with one of these printing new sineage to the printer in the office, scanning bar codes (camera can scan bar codes with the correct software), making lists of what they need (invintory, to-do lists, etc), can email quickly from the floor with pictures. really there is a TON these can do, for a business. granted for $800 i would not buy one for personal use.

and using full win7 over a modified OS for a tablet is the way to go for a business it keeps the development costs of new software down as much as possible).

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Why would anyone want this instead of an iPad? iPad has a better operating system (anything is better than Windows moved to a device it wasn't intended for), is larger, and has much greater market presence and acceptance.

HP needed to price this lower to gain traction in the market. I guess they don't really care about this piece of crap. It shouldn't have been released. It sounds like they'll get serious when they release then WebOS version next year.

Jobs is probably laughing at this junk from HP. But, next year, he might be crying.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hey you psychotic Apple haters, can you now see what a marvelous piece of engineering the iPad is? It's cheaper, thinner, lighter, uses less power and has a larger screen.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Hey you psychotic Apple haters, can you now see what a marvelous piece of engineering the iPad is? It's cheaper, thinner, lighter, uses less power and has a larger screen.[/citation]

But it doesn't run a REAL operating system.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Well I was hoping the Slate would be something that would directly try to challenge the iPad, but I guess it won't be. As the article states, this device is clearly aimed at the business market. I can't see an average every-day home consumer spending $800 to buy this product, just business people and gadget gurus with too much money. But then again, I couldn't see an every-day consumer buying a $500 16gb iPad, but they did.

On a side note, their commercial is crap. Super boring and a part that showcased the tablets inability to zoom in on an xray image without looking jumpy? I don't get it.

PepiX

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Trueno07, you wouldn't be that much wrong if you had told us 'But it doesn't do anything REAL.'
Apple fanboy, is that iPad of yours capable of doing 30-40% of the things shown in the commercial? (and this is a very limited set of things the slate would do..) Now please.. go sit in the corner and think about what you wrote..
Cheaper, thinner, lighter, uses less power and has a larger screen, but.. is pretty much useless.. just an accessory to match your clothes..

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
What a daft commercial. Really, I tried to come up with something insightful to say about this tablet, but man... What a daft commercial. It only misses golf clubs and a yacht to completely fill out white upper-class civilised impotence.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
too expensive, they can't compete against Apple unless they are priced lower. At best they will find a niche market with corporations that need to use windows-based software.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

I don't see why it couldn't. It can connect to the web and web applications can do everything I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.