[SOLVED] The i dont think the PSU Im using is compatible with my GPU

Jul 2, 2020
So im at the end of my build then i run into a problem. I dont have the wire that is for my gpu.(I have a CX500M BTW. and i have a Radeon 7870.)i think it nees a 6+2 PCI-E plug but i dont have one and looking around i dont know if the GPU is even compatible with the GPU i have.Anything will help just need answers. (my first ever build )

Slow down. You sound panicky.

So you have a new build, but with an old PSU (CX500M was discontinued about 5 years ago). If it's your "first build ever", how is it you're using such an old PSU? Did you get it used or something?

CX500M came with a PCIe cable with two 6+2 PCIe connectors on it.

Are you saying you LOST that cable and need to know where/how to find another?

Jul 2, 2020
Slow down. You sound panicky.

So you have a new build, but with an old PSU (CX500M was discontinued about 5 years ago). If it's your "first build ever", how is it you're using such an old PSU? Did you get it used or something?

CX500M came with a PCIe cable with two 6+2 PCIe connectors on it.

Are you saying you LOST that cable and need to know where/how to find another?
Well to put things short yea i would like to find a pci-e plug for the CX500m. And one that also works with a AMD Radeon for a 7870. Cause im looking around the web and i cant seem to locate one.

Jul 2, 2020
You can find a replacement PCIE cable, but honestly, I'd have zero interest, in your case, of going with an old, apparently used, PSU like this.
Im just going with what i got at the moment I will upgrade soon. It just a starter build for now. Im new with building this stuff
Ok. So you bought the PSU used and they screwed you out of the PCIe cable, right?

You can buy one here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-4-Sleeved-black-PCIe-cable-with-pigtail-connector-and-capacitors-for-Type-4-PSU/p/CP-8920143

The PCIe cable used on a CX PSU is the same Type 3 or Type 4 cable used on any other Corsair PSU or Cooler Master V-Series or Enermax, or......

Is that what you're looking for?
It should be i think because the GPU im using has 6pin connectors. So i think it should be ok

Jul 2, 2020
ICYDK: 6+2 means it works with 6-pin or 8-pin.
so i would plug that into the 6+2 PCI-e port? . and also the PSU only has 3 6 pin ports my brother was trying to tell be to get 2 6+2 cables and put them in there instead. Should i go with his decision on yours ?Cause IDK what 2 do here im kinda stumped

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The ports on the PSU are just the ports on the PSU, those are not standardized on that end; you buy specific cables for specific PSUs because the pinouts are not the same on the PSU side from PSU to PSU. As JG told you, this PSU came with one PCIE cable with two PCIE connectors for GPUs. That's the only cable you install for PCIE and you only install it where the PSU tells you to.

Your description is a little confusing, but from what you've said, I have the impression that your brother doesn't have the foggiest clue what he's talking about and you should not listen to his advice at all in this manner.

Jul 2, 2020
The ports on the PSU are just the ports on the PSU, those are not standardized on that end; you buy specific cables for specific PSUs because the pinouts are not the same on the PSU side from PSU to PSU. As JG told you, this PSU came with one PCIE cable with two PCIE connectors for GPUs. That's the only cable you install for PCIE and you only install it where the PSU tells you to.

Your description is a little confusing, but from what you've said, I have the impression that your brother doesn't have the foggiest clue what he's talking about and you should not listen to his advice at all in this manner.
Oof, OK Thank you guys so much! this kinda was a roadblock for me nice to see its gone.I will definitely be back with a update on the current situation.Im gonna go ahead and buy what he told me to get.

P.S : even though this is my first build i want you guys to know i have gotten everything i have in the build completely FREE or from my old Dell optiplex. Build below excluding hard drive

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTKs3t

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($219.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $361.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-02 02:50 EDT-0400