Question "The installer.exe file is not marked for installation" error ?

Nov 6, 2023
Hello,

I want to install the latest version of the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI driver 10.4.1.0 Rev.A on the driver update page of my HP Omen 17.3 inch laptop , but the update cannot be completed. The reason for not completing is this error "installer.exe file is not marked for installation" .

what is the solution, can you help me, I cannot update the driver.

Nov 6, 2023
what is in the package? no readme or help file?
As the friend with the nickname "ashstone" said, there is no file in the setup or in the zip, I already download the current driver from the original HP site myself, that is, I do not download an incompatible driver to an incompatible computer, in fact, I think the driver offered on their site through the computer's own serial number is most likely problematic.

Nov 6, 2023
I registered because of this problem. exactly same(even laptop model). can't solve T.T
I thought my computer was the only one with this problem, but I'm not alone. Probably the driver is faulty because I can't think of any other explanation.

I thought my computer was the only one with this problem, but I'm not alone. Probably the driver is faulty because I can't think of any other explanation.
Can you show screenshot of the error ("The installer.exe file is not marked for installation") ?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Generally -
you download package file,​
run it,​
it extracts contents to a specified folder​
then runs setup.exe from the folder.​

You get following info, when running the package.
If you do not get the info, then probably package has not been properly downloaded. Size should be 56.8MB.

TITLE: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI For FTP only (Win7/8/8.1/10 32/64-bit)
VERSION: 10.4.1.0
DESCRIPTION:
This package provides the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI version 10.4.1.0 in supported models that are running a supported operating systems. UEFI and Custom Imaging

PURPOSE: Routine
SoftPaq NUMBER: sp151612
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/01/2024
CATEGORY: Diagnostic
SSM SUPPORTED: No
DEVICES SUPPORTED: N/A
PREREQUISITES: None
LANGUAGE(S):
English (US)

ENHANCEMENTS:
- Improved UI
- Improved Audio Test
- Improved Battery Test
HOW TO USE:
1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to unpack the files to C:\SWSETUP\SP151612 or another directory of your choice.

3. Run the setup program from the directory that contains the unpacked softpaq files. Use the -? to list the command line options for the setup program.

NOTE: After double-clicking the downloaded file, select "This program installed correctly" on the Program Compatibility Assistant screen. This message is provided by the protection mechanism of Microsoft Windows.

This installer provides users the option to install to the HDD or a USB drive.
The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI must be run from a FAT or FAT32 partition with a partition name of "HP_TOOLS" or "EFI".

- If installed to the HDD and the HP_TOOLS or EFI partition is not present, the installer will prompt the user to create the partition.
- If installed to a USB drive, the installer will rename the partition on the USB drive to "HP_TOOLS"
- If installed with a custom image, the user can create the HP_TOOLS partition manually with type FAT32 and name the partition "HP_TOOLS"

Caution
- The HP_TOOLS partition is not protected and can therefore be deleted.
- Backing up the computer using the Windows Complete PC Restore and other backup software does not back up the HP_TOOLS partition.

HP recommends users not place additional data on the HP_TOOLS or EFI partition. Because the partition is not backed up, corruption or failure of the partition will result in loss of all data on the partition, plus loss of UEFI functionality.

For more information, see www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Copyright (c) 2024 HP Development Company, L.P.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023
Can you show screenshot of the error ("The installer.exe file is not marked for installation") ?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Generally -
you download package file,​
run it,​
it extracts contents to a specified folder​
then runs setup.exe from the folder.​

You get following info, when running the package.
If you do not get the info, then probably package has not been properly downloaded. Size should be 56.8MB.

The installer.exe file is not marked for installation

I downloaded it from HP's original driver page and tried to install it like that, it gave a warning like this again, and when I downloaded it via HP Support Assistnat, it still gives the same error.

Nov 6, 2023
what version of windows?
check the temp folder for the unzip file?

run the exe as admin?
23H2 (IS Build 22631.3374) I also tried to run the version as administrator several times, but I did not try to run it from the file in temp, how can I do that?