[SOLVED] The Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
Hello,

I would like to ask if why my CPU Speed changing when PC Restart and PC turns on. For example when I turn on it and CPU Speed shows 2.13ghz only but the base clock of Q8400 is 2.66. Then if I go to bios it shows 2.66ghz and the CPU Host Control is enabled and I put it in (333x8), if I save this changes when PC on and I open task manager it shows 2.66ghz.

Anyone please tell me what is happening?

Thanks.

Solution
Thank you so much sir for helping me, and I guess I already found out to how to fix this, by increasing my CPU VCore Volts. Because I saw the Q6600 on it's specification of Intel Website and its using 1.3xxx volts something at 2.40ghz so I did it the same way to my Q8400.

Thank you so much :D
You're very welcome.

Yeah, it seemed (from the way you were getting a "Failed Overclock" message) like the BIOS was setting the CPU Vcore too low (and down-clocking the CPU as a result). I didn't know if it was just the age of the processor or whether updating to the newer BIOS, which has updated (more accurate) Vcore and memory voltages was the way to go.

Glad to hear it's fixed. Happy computing!

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
333mhz x 8 = 2.66 ghz so its reading right.

not sure what the concern is here
My concern is why my CPU Speed drop downs when I open my PC to 2.13ghz but the base clock is 2.66ghz, and I needed to restart my PC and go to BIOS settings and adjust on the CPU Speed but since I entered the BIOS Settings it tells that " We change something in your bla bla I forgot it" like that.

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
Where can I turn off that SpeedStep?
There are two different technologies which were used on Intel LGA775 processors to adjust clocks(/save power):

The first is referred to in BIOS (of that era) as "BCLK Spread Spectrum" and varies the speed of the base clock by a few percentage points. This is mostly to prevent RF interference with other devices and is unlikely to cause the type of clock difference you're referring to.

The second, which actually changes the multiplier used by the processor (according to workload) is most likely referred to in that era of BIOS as "EIST" or "Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology". You can disable that in BIOS, but Windows can, through it's ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) override that.

If you really want to verify that your CPU is running at proper speed, launch something like Prime95 (use version 26.6 as it will not try to utililize AVX instructions), then open a utility like CPU-Z. You should see your CPU running at or around 2.66GHz.

If you don't want your CPU to ever drop below that (even when running light tasks where the extra clock speed will be of little to no benefit as the CPU is waiting for memory or PCIe bus response most of the time) you can change your "Power Plan" in Windows. The default is "Balanced" and will allow the CPU to reduce to as little as 800MHz during idle periods. "High Performance" mode maintains a 100% clock multiplier at all times, but can cause your CPU to run hotter overall (as it's not "throttling down" during lesser workloads and idle periods) so it's probably best not to leave it that way if you're running a stock Intel cooler.

Before addressing any of that, though, I would ask: Where are you seeing the 2.13GHz figure?
On the POST screen? In Performance Monitor? In a monitoring utility like CPU-Z or HWiNFO64?
The problem may be a misreporting of CPU frequency rather than an actual speed reduction.

Reactions: WilfredDrake

CompuTronix

Intel Master
launch something like Prime95 (use version 26.6 as it will not try to utililize AVX instructions)

The Core 2 Quad Q8400 isn't affected, as AVX Instruction Sets weren't introduced until Core i 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge, so even the latest version of Prime 95 (30.3) will show the same results.

"Balanced" and will allow the CPU to reduce to as little as 800MHz during idle periods.

Minimum frequency for the 45 nanometer Core 2 Quad Q8xxx and Q9xxx processors is 2000MHz:

Core i

10th through 5th Generation 14 nanometer ......... about 0.7 Volts @ 800 MHz
4th Generation 22 nanometer .................................... about 0.8 Volts @ 800 MHz
3rd Generation 22 nanometer .................................. about 0.9 Volts @ 1600 MHz
2nd and 1st Generation 32 and 45 nanometer ... about 1.0 Volts @ 1600 MHz

Core 2

Core 2 45 nanometer ...... about 1.1 Volts @ 2000 MHz
Core 2 65 nanometer ... about 1.25 Volts @ 1600 MHz

WilfredDrake,

Your Core 2 Q8400 is a 45 nanometer processor, so it's behaving normally. There's no need for concern regarding frequency.

CT :sol:

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
I have here a photo when I enter the BIOS Settings
View: https://imgur.com/c5tJYAJ
< please open this link to view the picture ( I can't upload a photo here or insert a link it shows an error)

Before addressing any of that, though, I would ask: Where are you seeing the 2.13GHz figure?
On the POST screen? In Performance Monitor? In a monitoring utility like CPU-Z or HWiNFO64?
The problem may be a misreporting of CPU frequency rather than an actual speed reduction.
Whenever I boot my PC well you will see the very first screen on your monitor which it shows your "Processor and RAM" like example
"Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.13ghz"
"Memory Interleaved" 8192MB
"Hitachi HDD"
Something like that and under are the options when you go BIOS like "F2" "DEL" buttons. It shows me above the speed of my Processor @2.13ghz, then I will restart my PC and go to BIOS Settings I am receiving that message "photo is on the link I put there above please check it".
BTW my motherboard is G41M Combo Rev 2.0 GIGABYTE. My ram is HyperX Kingston 4GB DRR3 1333mhz (4*2).

Thank you guys for putting a information above there.

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
The Core 2 Quad Q8400 isn't affected, as AVX Instruction Sets weren't introduced until Core i 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge, so even the latest version of Prime 95 (30.3) will show the same results.
I'm aware of that. That's why I usually recommend 26.6, as it's actually better optimized for LGA775 CPUs, since it doesn't utilize operations which won't affect outcome anyway.

Minimum frequency for the 45 nanometer Core 2 Quad Q8xxx and Q9xxx processors is 2000MHz
Now that I had forgotten — (it's been a while).

Last edited:

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
I have here a photo when I enter the BIOS Settings
It looks to me (based on the "failed overclock" message) like the BIOS may be resetting your CPU's multiplier to a "failsafe" value.

A couple of possible reasons for this:
  1. Your CPU may need slightly more voltage to cold-boot to 2.66GHz (possibly due to elctromigration or gate oxide breakdown which may have occurred over the years)
  2. Your CMOS battery is low and the BIOS is "dropping" settings
When you set 8×, then boot, you say it comes up at 2.66GHZ, correct?
What happens if you restart (as opposed to powering down/powering up)?
Are date, time (and all other settings) within BIOS consistent, or have you had to re-enter any of them?

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
A couple of possible reasons for this:
  1. Your CPU may need slightly more voltage to cold-boot to 2.66GHz (possibly due to elctromigration or gate oxide breakdown which may have occurred over the years)
I tried to change the VCore Voltage to 1.3000 something is this correct? if its not correct me please.
Your CMOS battery is low and the BIOS is "dropping" settings
I guess so my battery is kinda like 3 years or 4 but my father is checking this thru a tester.
When you set 8×, then boot, you say it comes up at 2.66GHZ, correct?
Yes it shows 2.66GHZ
What happens if you restart (as opposed to powering down/powering up)?
When I boot it up it will off like for 10 seconds and it will re-boot by itself.
Are date, time (and all other settings) within BIOS consistent, or have you had to re-enter any of them?
I didn't touch any of those, I changed date in time thru Windows settings.

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
I guess so my battery is kinda like 3 years or 4 but my father is checking this thru a tester.
If checking it with a meter or tester, it's best to put a (5mA-10mA) load on it, as almost any battery will test "high" when unencumbered by load – (most Digital MultiMeters have a test lead impedance >1MΩ).
Try testing it with a 300-600Ω resistor across it (or just replace it with a fresh one, and see if it makes any difference).
That being said, CMOS settings require very little current and those CR2032 batteries do last quite a while!

When did this behavior start (i.e., has this always been the case, or did it just start recently)?

Also, have you tried reflashing(/updating) the BIOS?

Last edited:

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
When did this behavior start (i.e., has this always been the case, or did it just start recently)?
It started since I change my CPU from Core 2 Quad Q6600 to Q8400. Well the Q6600 works fine at 2.40ghz it doesn't act like the Q8400.
Also, have you tried reflashing(/updating) the BIOS?
No because I don't how to update the BIOS.

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
No because I don't how to update the BIOS.
Download the latest BIOS from this link:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-g41m-combo_v2.x_fb.exe

It's a 7-zip self-extracting archive. When you run it, it will ask where you want to extract the files to. Plug in an empty USB thumb drive (or a blank floppy disk if you still have a floppy drive) and tell it to extract the files to it (or just download the files to a folder and copy them to USB flash drive or floppy).

Insert the thumb drive/floppy and set it as your first boot device (in BIOS).

Reboot, and the BIOS update will begin automatically. Wait for it to finish, and remove the flash drive/floppy.

Reboot again. If successful, your BIOS version should now be "FB" — (there is no risk in doing this, as the GA-G41 Combo has dual BIOS. So, if the update doesn't work, it will just boot the backup BIOS and you can try again).

I'm guessing this might clear up your problem — (it's certainly worth a try!)

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
Sir just a little correction my motherboard is "G41M-Combo Rev2.0" not "GA-G41M Combo"
Just a little correction to your correction: the full model name of the motherboard is "GA-G41M-Combo". There are three revisions (rev. 1.3, rev. 1.4, and rev. 2.0) but they are all functionally the same.
If you look at your motherboard (just above the RAM slots) you'll see this.

"GA-" was Gigabyte's prefix for all of their motherboards at that time, and subsequent revisions of a given MoBo will be basically the same as the original.
Motherboard revisions ("rev. 1.0", "rev. 1.1", "rev. 2.0", etc.) are typically small part changes – one chip becomes unavailable and another (from a different company) is substituted in it's place, changes in PCB layout (to enhance stability, performance, or manufacturability), or other small enhancements. Any change to features or functionality (at least in Gigabyte's case, and I think all manufacturers) necessitates a new model .

...and the BIOS link I sent you is in fact for rev 2.0 — (that's the "v2.x" part of the link).

BTW, if you'd like to update chipset (or any other) drivers, you can find all the downloads relevant to your MoBo here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-Combo-rev-20/support#support-dl-utility

Last edited:
While quality cr2032 batteries can last a long time, in today's fake and cut-corner world, I can see your cmos battery being the root cause of the issue. Even if it supposedly tests fine, just replace it with another one first and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
Just a little correction to your correction: the full model name of the motherboard is "GA-G41M-Combo". There are three revisions (rev. 1.3, rev. 1.4, and rev. 2.0) but they are all functionally the same.
If you look at your motherboard (just above the RAM slots) you'll see this.

"GA-" was Gigabyte's prefix for all of their motherboards at that time, and subsequent revisions of a given MoBo will be basically the same as the original.
Motherboard revisions ("rev. 1.0", "rev. 1.1", "rev. 2.0", etc.) are typically small part changes – one chip becomes unavailable and another (from a different company) is substituted in it's place, changes in PCB layout (to enhance stability, performance, or manufacturability), or other small enhancements. Any change to features or functionality (at least in Gigabyte's case, and I think all manufacturers) necessitates a new model .

...and the BIOS link I sent you is in fact for rev 2.0 — (that's the "v2.x" part of the link).

BTW, if you'd like to update chipset (or any other) drivers, you can find all the downloads relevant to your MoBo here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-Combo-rev-20/support#support-dl-utility
Thank you so much sir for helping me, and I guess I already found out to how to fix this, by increasing my CPU VCore Volts. Because I saw the Q6600 on it's specification of Intel Website and its using 1.3xxx volts something at 2.40ghz so I did it the same way to my Q8400.

Digitrax

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014

You're very welcome.

Yeah, it seemed (from the way you were getting a "Failed Overclock" message) like the BIOS was setting the CPU Vcore too low (and down-clocking the CPU as a result). I didn't know if it was just the age of the processor or whether updating to the newer BIOS, which has updated (more accurate) Vcore and memory voltages was the way to go.

Glad to hear it's fixed. Happy computing!

Last edited:
Solution