The Kilogram Has Excess Mass, Could Cause Scientific Havok

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ien2222

Distinguished
edit: To the down-thumbers, this isn't The Kilogram that's stored in Paris. Even then, it's not like they arbitrarily made a ball of metal and said, "Welp, that's a kilogram, hopefully it never changes mass or we're effed." A kilogram is the mass of 1.000025 liters of water at 4C. In otherwords, it's possible to recreate a kilogram.

Wrong. The kilo is the last classical measure that hasn't been standardized. There's been more equivalents than just water, but they are not an exact measure. The kilo in Paris is the standard, and only standard in the world.

And yes, they use the replicas quite a bit for calibration, especially for instruments that require extreme precision.

johnnyevil

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
This...this is why I love humanity so much. Absurdity. If you can't laugh at this then I fear you may be missing some of the point of being alive in the first place :)

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]Kand[/nom]but the americans and other british related copuntries still use pounds for mass and FEET for lenght.the FEET didn`t change it`s length?[/citation]

Pound is weght. Slug is mass.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
That means only that UK should do something about the SMOG (as we can all see its negative effects), on the other hand... they never get used to metric system and may just be an excuse to keep their imperial system!

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]I don't quite get why they don't define a kilogram by a specific number of atoms of some isotope of an element, say carbon.[/citation]

Its much easyer as 1kg = 1 liter of pure h2o ...

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This has been a Known Problem for as long as these kilograms have been around. The news here is the suntan cleaning method that is an improvement over the approved polishing, at least for carbonaceous compounds. And, yes, it affects all of the copies, not just the UK one.

ludarabota

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I've always thought that 1 kg = 1 liter of water = 1cubic decimeter of water - which is really close enough i guess. It's not like I ever weight something on a perfectly accurate scale.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ludarabota[/nom]I've always thought that 1 kg = 1 liter of water = 1cubic decimeter of water - which is really close enough i guess. It's not like I ever weight something on a perfectly accurate scale.[/citation]

just to add to your point that the water has to be pure H2O not H3O which is also water but heavier and can create small fireworks off the cost of florida.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

your mass doesn't change if your on a different planet or the moon. think if it like atomic attraction of atoms

Status
Not open for further replies.