The Longest Journey 2 in-depth preview!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Here, E-Cie <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote:

> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> schreef in bericht
> > http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dreamfall/597464p1.html
>
> Thanks for the link. Seems like it doesn't look too bad after
> all....hopefully!

I have my usual reservation about games that try to offer several
different approaches to solving problems. (I.e., that they wind up
being unfun for *both* kinds of players.) However, I don't think it's
impossible, so we'll see.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

"Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
> Here, E-Cie <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote:
>>
>> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> schreef in bericht
>> > http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dreamfall/597464p1.html
>>
>> Thanks for the link. Seems like it doesn't look too bad after
>> all....hopefully!
>
> I have my usual reservation about games that try to offer several
> different approaches to solving problems. (I.e., that they wind up
> being unfun for *both* kinds of players.) However, I don't think it's
> impossible, so we'll see.

For me, it's all about the story.

Jonah Falcon

Here, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
> > Here, E-Cie <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> schreef in bericht
> >>
> >> Thanks for the link. Seems like it doesn't look too bad after
> >> all....hopefully!
> >
> > I have my usual reservation about games that try to offer several
> > different approaches to solving problems. (I.e., that they wind up
> > being unfun for *both* kinds of players.) However, I don't think it's
> > impossible, so we'll see.
>
> For me, it's all about the story.

Remember, I thought the story of _The Longest Journey_ was a failure.
Not *bad* (the way the line-by-line dialogue was bad), but shallow and
uninteresting.

This preview doesn't tell enough about TLJ2 to give me an idea if the
story will improve.

--Z

*

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
>
>>Here, E-Cie <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote:
>>
>>>"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> schreef in bericht

>>>Thanks for the link. Seems like it doesn't look too bad after
>>>all....hopefully!
>>
>>I have my usual reservation about games that try to offer several
>>different approaches to solving problems. (I.e., that they wind up
>>being unfun for *both* kinds of players.) However, I don't think it's
>>impossible, so we'll see.
>

> For me, it's all about the story.
>
> Jonah Falcon

For me it's all about the gameplay.

Jenny100 wrote:

> For me it's all about the gameplay.

I agree. It's a game. If I wanted a good story I'd read a novel. :)

Look, a game's story is important, but many people who criticize games
because they personally didn't like the story IMHO wouldn't know a good
story if it bit them on the ass. Whether or not you liked the story is
often simply a matter of taste.

I loved Longest Journey, I trust this sequel will be great.

Here, ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
> Jenny100 wrote:
>
> > For me it's all about the gameplay.
>
> I agree. It's a game. If I wanted a good story I'd read a novel. :)
>
> Look, a game's story is important, but many people who criticize games
> because they personally didn't like the story IMHO wouldn't know a good
> story if it bit them on the ass.

How does that differ from gameplay?

> Whether or not you liked the story is
> often simply a matter of taste.

Or that?

--Z

*

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dreamfall/597464p1.html

"Fortunately for those of us who believe video games can and should be more
than pixilated breasts and digital explosions..."

they state right above a screenshot of a hot babe in a skimpy outfit with
breasts the size of Jupiter.

Two seconds later that room gets blown to smithereens, you wanna bet?

> Here, ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
>> Jenny100 wrote:
>>
>> > For me it's all about the gameplay.
>>
>> I agree. It's a game. If I wanted a good story I'd read a novel. :)

Then play 7th Guest. (rolling eyes)

Jonah Falcon

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
>
>>Here, ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>>>I agree. It's a game. If I wanted a good story I'd read a novel. :)
>

> Then play 7th Guest. (rolling eyes)
>
> Jonah Falcon

Unfortunately most stories in adventure games aren't much better
than the one in 7th Guest. I'm sure you can find a handful of
exceptions, especially if you include text adventures. But for
the most part stories in games are not great. They don't have
to be because there are other elements of the game to distract
you.

Look at the Gamespot article that interviews five
"master storytellers" in the computer game industry.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6120427/index.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click

Check what Tim Schaffer has to say, specifically on this
page of the article
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6120427/p-6.html

If all you're interested in is a great story, you're better
off looking somewhere other than a computer game. You'll
have a lot more to choose from.

vinCe

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"BuckFush" wrote
> Jonah Falcon wrote:

>> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dreamfall/597464p1.html

> "Fortunately for those of us who believe video games can and should be
> more
> than pixilated breasts and digital explosions..."

> they state right above a screenshot of a hot babe in a skimpy outfit with
> breasts the size of Jupiter.

I think they must have replaced the picture.

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "BuckFush" wrote
>> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>
>>> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dreamfall/597464p1.html
>
>> "Fortunately for those of us who believe video games can and should be
>> more
>> than pixilated breasts and digital explosions..."
>
>> they state right above a screenshot of a hot babe in a skimpy outfit with
>> breasts the size of Jupiter.

Huh? Zoe does not look at that. What are you talking about?

Jonah Falcon

Jonah Falcon wrote:

>>> "Fortunately for those of us who believe video games can and should
>>> be more than pixilated breasts and digital explosions..."
>>> they state right above a screenshot of a hot babe in a skimpy
>>> outfit with breasts the size of Jupiter.
>
> Huh? Zoe does not look at that. What are you talking about?

Are you guys saying that the link you posted above does not take you to a
page with a game screenshot showing a woman in a room wearing tiny blue
shorts and a pink t-shirt?!? It's right there, in the middle of the page -
if not what I described then what exactly are you seeing?!

Could the page be loading different pictures for different people?! I'm
totally confused.

BuckFush wrote in news:_BM0e.43920$rB3.7557455@twister.nyc.rr.com:
> Jonah Falcon wrote:

>> Huh? Zoe does not look at that. What are you talking about?
>
> Are you guys saying that the link you posted above does not take
> you to a page with a game screenshot showing a woman in a room
> wearing tiny blue shorts and a pink t-shirt?!? It's right there,
> in the middle of the page - if not what I described then what
> exactly are you seeing?!

We're just not seeing the breasts the size of Jupiter. Your
exaggeration confused some people. It's true that she doesn't wear much
in that screenshot, but her breasts seem fairly normal-sized.

Rikard

Mary

"Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> BuckFush wrote in news:_BM0e.43920$rB3.7557455@twister.nyc.rr.com:

> >> Huh? Zoe does not look at that. What are you talking about?
> >
> > Are you guys saying that the link you posted above does not take
> > you to a page with a game screenshot showing a woman in a room
> > wearing tiny blue shorts and a pink t-shirt?!? It's right there,
> > in the middle of the page - if not what I described then what
> > exactly are you seeing?!
>
> We're just not seeing the breasts the size of Jupiter. Your
> exaggeration confused some people. It's true that she doesn't wear
much
> in that screenshot, but her breasts seem fairly normal-sized.

All this talk about breasts - tsk tsk.

Mary

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> "Fortunately for those of us who believe video games can and should be
>>> more
>>> than pixilated breasts and digital explosions..."
>>
>>> they state right above a screenshot of a hot babe in a skimpy outfit with
>>> breasts the size of Jupiter.
>
>Huh? Zoe does not look at that. What are you talking about?

"According to FunCom, the point of adding in the mild fighting and
stealth elements is to give the player choices. Rather than putting in
"puzzles" that the player has to get past, the game instead offers
"challenges" that can be approached in variety of ways. Since the game
is a linear story with a definite beginning and ending, the types of
choices a player makes will have more subtle effects than altering the
storyline the way games like Knights of the Old Republic did."

So it's an interactive movie with scene selection. Not a game.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> I loved Longest Journey, I trust this sequel will be great.

DITTO!

No, DOUBLE DITTO!

DE