[SOLVED] The maddening switching of displays- Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebannist

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
Hi,
I run an RTX 3090 connected to a 2k 165 hz monitor via DP and also connected to a 4k 120 hz LG CX- Via HDMI 2.1.

Now my 3090 which is PNY- Helpfully only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port and 3 DP. Great.

My issue is that when turning the TV on, not every time, but most of the time, windows automatically defaults to the TV as the display. I don't want that. The TV is for controller couch gaming. The monitor is for pc use.
Now when i run things in Steam big picture (On the TV for couch use) the default display turns to the TV once i exit almost all of the time (Save for 1% of the time and I can't work out why).

Is there a way I can fix this issue? I ordered a HDMI cable and was willing to drop down to 2k 144hz so as to not to confuse windows between the different inputs any more, but then i realised my card only has the 1 HDMI port.

I've looked into active and passive DP to HDMI adaptors- But then this bodes another problem for when I eventually buy a 4k HDMI 2.1 monitor.

Are the splitters decent for HDMI 2.1? Are they even in existence yet? I check Amazon and don't trust most of the sellers. I doubt the people selling HDMI 2.1 cables actually know why it's even desired in the first place.

Is this a potential fix? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPortTM1-4-HDMITM-4K120Hz-Active-Adapter/dp/B08BC8LV3M

But then will it be ok to run HDMI 2.1 at 4:4:4 and not have that silly Chroma Subsampling?

I ultimately want my system to be ready to have x2 HDMI 2.1 but from a card that only has one port.
So it's either a splitter or adaptor.

Anyone have any experience with this? Im off work over xmas and regularly dip between couch gaming on the tv and FPS on the monitor. It can't continue with this [redacted] display switching. I've read up and nobody seems to have a permanent fix. I actually fear turning on my tv because i know it'll mess it all up. (Causes crashes when I launch a game on the monitor because it thinks theres another display- (EVEN IN FULL SCREEN MODE!).
It also sometimes minimises games on the TV, presumably because of the other display turned on and connected by a different input. (It doesn't do this when I unplug my monitor).

I do see why sometimes people love the draw of turning on a PS5 and it just [redacted] working. .. but PRAISE THE 120 FPS SUN.

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If I were you, I'd get an adapter as opposed to a splitter since the splitter can and will cause mishaps. As for your issue, something tells me that you're suffering from either an OS or a driver issue if your displays are alternating when the TV is fired up.

Might want to see what OS version you're on(if on Windows 10) and what your BIOS version is for your motherboard. Speaking of which, make and model of our motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? If your OS and BIOS aren't pending updates, you can turn your attention to your GPU drivers. Use DDU to uninstall all drivers from your platform, boot to Safe Mode, download the latest driver off of Nvidia's support site, then manually install said driver in an elevated...

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd get an adapter as opposed to a splitter since the splitter can and will cause mishaps. As for your issue, something tells me that you're suffering from either an OS or a driver issue if your displays are alternating when the TV is fired up.

Might want to see what OS version you're on(if on Windows 10) and what your BIOS version is for your motherboard. Speaking of which, make and model of our motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? If your OS and BIOS aren't pending updates, you can turn your attention to your GPU drivers. Use DDU to uninstall all drivers from your platform, boot to Safe Mode, download the latest driver off of Nvidia's support site, then manually install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS