The Maingear Drift Is A Steam Machine For 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I went to the site and configured a system.

They look nice but freaking graphics card upgrades are too high plus they only go up to a 500w power supply.

Lowest spec i5, 500w power supply, 390x, 256 Samsung SSD, and 2 TB Seagate HDD, base motherboard, 8GB ram, no other upgrades or add ons.

System cost was over $1800. Too much markup for me.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I just built a similar system on pcpartspicker and it came to $1655. I didn't use the same exact components as they didn't have the silverstone case, so I saved $50 on that. I also went with a cheap cpu cooler. So the "markup" isn't much to write home about. These companies make money by buying OEM parts at wholesale in bulk, they don't have to pay retail price, and most of the time will get surplus inventory (even cheaper cause warehouse needs to get rid of it). I see these claims a whole lot, of how it's cheaper to build one yourself. Unless you've got access to a wholesale supply chain, it isn't. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wxFjX

pitch4d

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I just built a similar system on pcpartspicker and it came to $1655. I didn't use the same exact components as they didn't have the silverstone case, so I saved $50 on that. I also went with a cheap cpu cooler. So the "markup" isn't much to write home about. These companies make money by buying OEM parts at wholesale in bulk, they don't have to pay retail price, and most of the time will get surplus inventory (even cheaper cause warehouse needs to get rid of it). I see these claims a whole lot, of how it's cheaper to build one yourself. Unless you've got access to a wholesale supply chain, it isn't. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wxFjX

You have a 980ti in your list, alot more expensive than a 390x. Not sure where you were going with this.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006

Disagree with you. I just built a system from parts at newegg for $1312 ($1265 after MIR) that is specd the exact same as a $1860 build from this place.

In fact it was:
AsRock M8 Mini ITX Gaming PC
Seagate 2TB HDD
Core i5-4460
16GB GSkill RipJaw DDR3
256GB Samsung 850 SSD
MSI R9 390x

That puts markup at ~$600 which is a lot.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I was going for the 4k requirement in the article. And that 200 dollar difference in gpu would be offset if I used the same chassis, power supply, and cpu cooler.

pitch4d

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I was going for the 4k requirement in the article. And that 200 dollar difference in gpu would be offset if I used the same chassis, power supply, and cpu cooler.

Just built your system on Maingear that you have in PCPartpicker and it came out to be 600 dollars more expensive. $1619 vs $2221. And that is without adding Windows 7 for $55 more and you didn't add an optical drive. Which i know if negligible, but still don't see where you are going.

Markup gets worse usually the more EXPENSIVE the system too.

*Also, building for "4K" is problematic no matter what the system. If you have a 4K HDTV then your system is preset to 4K so you can't change in-game like you can with a PC monitor (AFAIK).

Thus you need to tweak games to maintain 4K at 60FPS. To do that for many games you'll either need to drop the game quality settings or deal with lower frame rates.

So spending a LOT of money on a "4K" system to have a worse experience in SOME games than at 1080p seems a bit silly, but then most people don't have enough PC building and tweaking experience to understand this.

Put another way, I'd suggest for most people to use 1080p for an HDTV experience even if they own a 4K HDTV.

per above...
If not clear, I meant you can change settings to 1080p, 4K etc for an HDTV but I believe with an HDTV (via HDMI) you are locked to the DESKTOP setting for the games, so if set to 4K you'd have to change desktop to 1080p if you want the game at 1080p.

Also not 1440p middle ground option for an HDTV (AFAIK) unless you have one with a PC input option (thus a scaler solution).

db188

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
"dominate 4k" on a single 980ti or Titan X? i don't think so. cut back the hyperbole Tom's or are you a marketing shill for Maingear?

THEGTHATSME

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
These fools buy stuff on newegg just like anyone of us, you'd be surprised how certain parts are cheaper there than at a distributor especially when you need it in a pinch and the distro's dry. And yeah 600 markup is expensive to have an idiot out of high school building a pc off of a checklist. At least if you're gonna try to fcuk the customer, color match the dildo with the PC for free MAINGEAR.

Rob27shred

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Nobody has yet mentioned the PSU selection really don't cut it for the AMD GPUs, I have an XFX DD 390 & the minimum recommend PSU size is 750w. Sure you can get away with using a 600w one probably but being they are exclusive to the X99 Drifts I see a lot people who get these ending up with a 390X & 500w PSU. Not sure if that will cut it or not & who will foot the bill if it don't... :/

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
These fools buy stuff on newegg just like anyone of us, you'd be surprised how certain parts are cheaper there than at a distributor especially when you need it in a pinch and the distro's dry. And yeah 600 markup is expensive to have an idiot out of high school building a pc off of a checklist. At least if you're gonna try to fcuk the customer, color match the dildo with the PC for free MAINGEAR.

Yeah....how dare they try and make money building PC's for other people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS