The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussK1

Splendid

No. Background will disable and Windows update will not function.

Wowwwwwwww, I spent 95$ and had proof of my amazon invoice and the want me to spend another 130$?? Screw you microsoft! I guess I will live with it not genuine. Message only shows up when I boot up my pc anyways.

What copy did you have? OEM, retail, MSDN?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Didn't specify that anywhere.. doesn't say I need to activate it. Should I reinstall windows? That would fix the error, but I would need to reinstall my stuff. Could I keep my games and just reinstall windows?

edit-Did I buy a pirated or invalid key or something?????

This weekend's project is going to be to create a listing of spare parts for the "Deals" section, although I'll give you guys first crack at it. Some of it is older, and unlikely to be of interest, but one thing that may still be is a perfectly good AMD Phenom II 970BE.

RussK1

Splendid

That's what I'm referring to. MSDN licenses are notorious for being tied to counterfeit Windows discs.

What does the disk look like. An official Windows disc should have NO stickers. Hologram should be embedded within the disc...

Should also have made in Puerto Rico.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
ouch man. Tough luck. I'd reinstall it on a separate partition, then move your programs to the new partition, then erase the old one and merge it with the new one.

Memtest has run 1 pass, but 6 iterations??? In the last 3 hours. wow...

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
That sucks. should I reinstall or just live with it? I could just live with it until my PSU upgrade and do it all then. I am pretty syre. I am going with the xfx pro 650. Apparently tie 2a good for high end GPUs like a 780ti

Speaking of Phenoms, I have my parent's 960T up running at 4GHz. I unlocked it to 6 cores successfully earlier. But I rather have 4 faster cores than 6 running slower.

My brother and I are going to go half on a R9 270X to put in here for gaming purposes. We have over a year of coming over here taking care of my father so it will be put to use for gaming during down time.

Here are the parts and final product. I think I'm going to get that N200 afterall because the power button on this thing no longer works...

RussK1

Splendid

Depends... what type of error are you getting? No point re-installing if Microsoft blocked the license key. You could "Get Genuine" license key via Microsoft for $100 (retail).

Lutfij

Titan
Looks cramped. The N200 should alleviate the issues with temps and upgrades later down the road as I see you probably investing some more in the next year.

I hope everything is fine with family...?

g-unit1111

Titan

I need to do that too, I've got several things I can start selling and make some money. I'm also going to be upgrading my White Knight rig to Windows 8 (have a spare license and bought a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo through a Newegg promo code), and the next thing will be swapping the motherboard-busting heat sink for a closed liquid loop, I'm still researching which one will be the best one to get.

My dad has Glioblastoma, a type of brain cancer. A terminal illness but he seems in good spirit. He wants to go get some new golf clubs tomorrow, it's all he's been talking about all day. He can't walk on his own though. So we need to work on that first. :)

And yeah I need a new case for this machine, the main problem is that the power button no longer works. Second problem, no intake fan, third problem, no front panel USB 3.0. So I think $40 to solve all of these problems will be a good investment.

RussK1

Splendid

I wish the best for you. God speed!

TRENDING THREADS