The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Do you really think a 290 will run hotter and less efficiently than dual old generation GPU's? Keep the 660ti's. Really nice GPUs. Maybe wait a for an 870/880 and look at new ones then. The 660s looks so awesome, but a 780/290 will run quite a bit quieter and cooler. Maybe get dcu2 290 if you really want. It will not be faster (nearly just as fast), but it will be quieter run cooler but also won't look as cool lol.

I would be getting a gigabyte Windforce or a HIS IceX due to cheapest.

The 800 cards will be overpriced for at least a year. I'm not willing to wait that long just for prices.

I'm not concerned with looking cool to be honest. My cards individually are not nearly as hot as a 290, but combined, they probably emit more heat.

Again. I play some games where SLI is not supported.

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm going to be putting my 7870s up for sale once the new round of NVIDIA GPUs is unleased. I'm definitely going for high performance and want to go the GTX 880/980 route. I'm interested in mainly setting up the White Knight for game streaming.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Some good news! My aunty is getting internet in the next couple of weeks (200gb ADSL2 monthly) so I will actually be able to see all your wonderful pictures. (I use my laptop at school, and they have set up their filters to not allow most pictures.. pricks) so because of this wonderful thing I will be rebuilding my rig!

specs:

i7 2600k
GA-Z68XP-UD4
16gb 1600mhz ddr3 (corsair vengeance, ugly but better than my KVR sticks)
GB Windforce 780 (OC ed)
512Gb Adata SSD (XPG 900 I think)
3x3tb HDD (2 in raid 1, other as cold backup)
Hyper 212 evo
Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1
PSU: either my AX850 or Silverstone strider gold evo (1kw)
(and my little TP-link wireless nic :p)

words cannot describe the excitement I feel... to finally be able to play games again... I really miss world of tanks and DayZ
(hehehe not to mention ill be able to finish watching season 3 of my little pony :p)

Holy crap I just looked at the prices of haswell-E and ddr4 :ouch: wtf!?!? definitely skipping this gen

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Oooh I might be interested in a full rig. :p

I won't be on since I have a seminar and have a job to dual boot a PC with Kali Linux and other distro of my choice. hmmm, Ubuntu, Min, Debian, Elementary OS, SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. Might do quad boot if this HDD is big enough... Just because...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I was wondering the same thing to.
happy page 101
lmao, this is post 5000... [strike]Any help with deciding on a distro for Linux?[/strike]

So I have installed Kali on a 40 gb partition, and am setting up a live USB for one of the many distros I have on my regular use PC. The PC with the Linux Dual boot is going to a very special project of ours... The PC is the one I recieved from my teacher. This is a thank-you gift for how much he has done for the students in his classes, including the many boxes of donuts he brings on finals :p

I have to re do the partitioning as I decided to do a tri boot because I couldn't decide between Ubuntu and Mint. Why choose when you can have both.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Yaayy 101! Wish you luck with the whole ubuntu thing. What are the specs on the machine? Hard drive size?

Anyways, was doing hw for a few hours on my pc and my gpu is idling at 36 degrees, cpu at 40, and vrm's all under 41 degrees. Finally got all my temps right!

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

So this PC... is using the Prescott Architecture on LGA 775. VERY OLD. That said, I got Kali to work, and all tests on all OS's run fine... until I realised my partitions are the wrong size. So time to restart from step one, or step 4 if I don't have to do the full installation.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Nice. For the most part, (From what I have heard) Kali isn't very resource hungry, so congrats on that. Hmm, I think that I should stick with my tx3 until I get a new cpu/motherboard simply because I invested like 20$ in the noctua fan and it fairly quite and performs pretty okay. Eventually I want to go aio liquid cooling in this case because of how cool it looks.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Nice! Full atx? This case is pretty awesome, especially considering the price. I had two issues (Front panel and window), and both were replaced. Really nice cool case and has great 120mm rad support up top due to the round design (enough for push pull on most medium thickness rads), support for almost 15" gpu's without the top drive cage, and excellent drive support and HUGE power supplies (ax1500i can fit without bottom 120mm fan).