The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 202 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
He is using:

i7 2600k
Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
Can't remember motherboard but it is an ASRock Z77 board. Yes it is full ATX. Maybe Extreme 4?
8gb RAM (2x4gb)
gtx780 (replaced gtx570)
XFX650 (replaced OCZ something 550w)
Phantom 240

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Have you ran CAD/ Inventor on your Dark Knight system? Currently have a 7950 and I'm thinking of trading it for a GTX 760 and then buying an i5/i7/Xeon, however I've heard the performance gain isn't worth it for the premium in price since AutoCad and AutoDesk Inventor do not support multithreading. Not sure if this is true or not.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
It is true. In my school pc's the 4770's vs one of the ones with i5's (two i7 4770 rigs, two xeons (Soon to come), and one i5 4690 rig), there is absolutely no difference in performance. Instead of the 760 I would get a quadro. Inventor professional and other cad software run much better on intel and nvidia quadro cards.The firepro is fine because cad is mostly cpu bound, but I would go quadro. (I am actually running a full amd rig in my personal pc, so no bias here, just facts)

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Hmm well from the benchmarks I've been seeing to get a workstation equivalent of the 760 I'd have to pay 10x as much. Since he said he uses CAD just thought it would be nice to ask him since he has the parts I'm looking at buying. I guess he's not online right now so I might pm him later.

g-unit1111

Titan

Don't exactly have the $1400 it takes to get an annual Autodesk license subscription at the moment. :lol:

I'm thinking for my White Knight rig I'm planning to run this as my final setup that will last me several years:

- Intel Core i7-5820K
- EVGA 1000W P2
- Asus X99 Deluxe
- EVGA 880/980 SLI
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance XLP DDR4-2800 MHz RAM

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I don't think 32gb of memory is needed really. My system currently uses 12gb, and it doesn't really go higher then 4gb. From what I saw when I did some small testing, the xeon CPU runs at 100% load for my program to verify a tool path at 2D or 3D. I'll have to talk with him, and ask him what's his daily usage.

I would loveeeee 3 monitors :3 3 Mastercam files open, and a lot of multi-tasking.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Verifying tool paths at 2D and 3D CAD, I believe it's more CPU+GPU power hungry then memory hungry.

Speaking of Sketchup, how did you guys learn how to use it? Just messing around or practicing, or classes? Are there any good guides? I made a plan for an entertainment center I built using Layout (part of Google Sketchup bundle), and it's only 2D and took me over an hour just to draw a wall of cabinets and shelves. I understand practice makes perfect but when I get stuck I look at YouTube videos and everyone is so quick like it's second nature. I would really like to learn to make 3D models in Sketchup to present to my clients before I start building for them. It proves to be really helpful in having us both picturing the same product in both of our minds instead of me guessing what they've envisioned and trying to build it for them.

USAFRet

Titan

Just play with it. Building in 3D requires a certain mindset, and how to visualize what you want the end thing to look like.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I had a school licence and got like a year free (works with basically all highschools and colleges if you visit the autodesk student page), and just messed around with 2d stuff, extruding, and all the basic and now advanced functions.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Heck 8Gb is 40 dollars more than what it costs now for DDR3

Well the point I'm getting at is I wouldn't spend $600 on a three year old chip when there is a new 6 core for $350. Even with the higher prices of ram you would have a faster system for cheaper. Also features like M.2 and SATA Express become available.