The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 230 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Compared to a Caselabs it's flimsy and cheap feeling. For air cooling or an AIO cooler this case would be sweet. Especially at a sub $100 price point. The cable management holes are in the perfect spot, they leave enough spacing for a radiator (<40mm thick) with one set of fans at the top which is nice. If I want to get everything inside the actual case I will need a smaller res and some modifying.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

For $20 I wasnt going to pass it up

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Right it was originally that price but I had some coupon codes

Lutfij

Titan
Stick,
I haven't worked with a Caselabs case and I am very interested in working with one. Only gripe would be: how do I find someone crazy enough as me to ship a 10lbs+ case all the way from America while I'm charge $10 per pound of shipping.

I've had the fortune of working on a 350D myself:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2163688/gaming-build-brother-law.html

and building in it was an absolute joy! I'm very certain the cons you've pointed out will be evident should I choose to watercool it the right way but since I spec'd out a CLC this won't be an issue and I don't just prescribe proper watercooling to anybody merely because it has responsibilities of its own.

I'm also definite your case will look the part after you've reworked the internals :)

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
So I just finished installing the windows 10 technical preview. I love it. This is what Windows 8/8.1 should have been. Easy to use, start menu is back, cleaner multi tasking, and fast.

I just hope they offer it as a free upgrade for windows 8 users...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I was doing to do it in a VM, but my machine crashed due to lack of RAM... My machine is throttling and has temps upwards of 50 Celsius so I am going to open it up and dust it out with some compressed air on the fans and in, you know, the case.

I don't think I'm going to do too much with it. It's not my showcase, but an avid workhorse. My cables are out in the open, but I custom cut, crimped, and sleeved 90% of those wires. I'm gonna leave them right out in the open for everyone to gawk at! :lol: I'm not cutting or sleeving anymore wires for the foreseeable future.

They are leftover from when the PSU was in the S3. But everything still reaches in this case, just not tucked away behind the motherboard. The res/pump combo wont fit in the case with two radiators and a long GPU like the 280x. Something would have to swapped. I might be going to a GTX 970 of which some models resemble (if not identical too) a GTX 670 and are short PCBs. Then I could probably get that big ole res and pump inside the case. I could just seperate a pump by getting a new top and a smaller res or single bay res. But I really like this res/pump combo and don't really mind it being outside the case. It actually makes it easy to drain/fill and swap things out (which I've done a lot of in the past few days). I still have another 3.5" drive and a 2.5" drive to put in there.

That 350D build for your brother in law is wonderful. Very clean and concise, I like it a lot.

Lutfij

Titan
Stick,
You could also explore this mounting option?
uni-pump-holder-120mm-ddc-v2.jpg

but in your case the D5 would be dangling at the bottom and depending on which level you mount it on the front 240 rad you may need to drill a small hole to insert a screw driver to tweak the pump dial.

That 350D build for your brother in law is wonderful. Very clean and concise, I like it a lot.
Thanks for the kind words buddy! I'm just waiting out for the GPU to be purchased and ofc sleeving inside that case but with my brother in laws patience meter almost expired I don't think he'll give me time to sleeve (with care).

I understand, showcase rigs are always wort the extra mile or so... :) I actually love the sleeve theme going on in your build. Too bad MDPC-x is closed for business indefinitely and I'm not too keen on getting LutroO's Teleios Sleeve anytime soon since the color vibrance isn't on par with MDPC-x. Moddiy and their China grade sleeve isn't that desirable either.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

I wouldn't install it as a main OS since it's still in it's test stage. The last thing you want is for it to randomly crash and take any documents you were working on with it. I installed the preview to a partition I made.

Upgrading to 8.1 would be a better idea.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I checked my temps after cleaning, and hey, no surprise, the temps dropped... By 10 degrees. I can barely type it is so dusty.
Before
auh69v.jpg

2kpo3q.jpg

after
ejg0h4.jpg

Had to work in the living room, only place with non carpeted floors besides the kitchen. Can anyone confirm for me how weak my psu is? If at all possible, I want to run the Galaxy low profile 750 ti unless Nvidia makes a 950 with even less power consumption.. I doubt it, this has 16 amps on the 24 volt rail though
k21pjs.jpg
errr, sorry for it being sideways, had no clue

192 watts @ 12 volts is pretty low.

The GTX 750 should take under 60(MAX load unless you run furmarks, you may be able to adjust the card with afterburner to keep it lower), so it depends on what else is in the system.

It would be close for sure.

If i trust my UPS my media center system(i5 750 + 650ti + 3tb WDC red/1tb WDC blue[1.5 inch] and 128gigabyte ssd) was not passing 150 too often(it could if I pushed it). These are after power supply losses.

Truth be told, I think it is just within the green. All systems are a bit different. I know that from my own SFF system, the power consumption should be within spec.

If you happen to have or have access to a power utilization meter you could see how much it uses at the wall. At the wall is always higher because it also reads the loss within the power supply it self.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

I would rather save some money and get a R7 250 instead, unless you plan to upgrade your cpu/mobo later on. I have an A6 5400k atm which is similar to your CPU performance wise and a while back I had a 9800GTX+. I don't play TF2 but I did download just to see how it would run on my system. I ran it maxed out.

So if light games like that is all you play there's really no need to spend more on a 750ti.

Here's the cheapest one I could find after rebate:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250 1GB Video Card ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 12:13 EDT-0400

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

FPS like cod should be playable, but games which are more cpu demanding like BF3/BF4 will not be playable.

I don't know how well GTA V will be optimized for pc so I can't say whether or not it will run on your system.