The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 245 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
"Rooting a phone" bears no resemblance to what certain individuals have been recorded doing with their goats. Are we missing something here?
I want complete Administrative control over what runs on my phone, and when.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

HeHe, finally someone gets it! jokes in poor taste people, jokes in poor taste.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Onus, what version of android, what phone, and what carrier? I can help you. And panda button, what's wrong???? It's loke jail breaking

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Here ya go.

http://www.droidviews.com/update-t-mobile-galaxy-s4-to-android-4-4-4-kitkat-and-root-it/

It's very easy. Just enable developer settings, turn on USB debugging, download some software, boot into the new recovery and flash a rom. Really fun to do, but just be careful, to download the right stuff

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah, CYNANOGEN FTW. Working on my friends phone right now, and he wants CYNANOGEN as well. His other phones are rooted so something happened with this one... My plan is to flash back to stock(for backup), then cynanogen

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I did, I said Verizon S4 unless the forums deleted it. It is currently recharging after flashing it back to stock. It was stuck in a bootloop, so was pretty easy. Now I need to do cynanogenmod

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMVLH66/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_5882_192f8eae?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1MCTB8D4HZN8RB7S97B6&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1920875882

That looks fun.

UPDATE: So I flashed a stock ROM and rooted it using TowelRoot. Funnily enough, his pictures and other stuff stayed after A FULL ROM INSTALL. Didn't think that would happen. I am planning to install Cynanogen tomorrow. However, I have my doubts due to Verizons Bootloader and Kernel and it being a long process. If Cynanogen mod just does not work, AOKP is my next bet. He tried to install Cynanogen that was made for a different Kernel and bootloader, which is why he soft-bricked his phone.

g-unit1111

Titan