The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 309 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lutfij

Titan
MDBA,
I'd be going for a 4.4GHz overclock while maintaining stock/default voltages. I'd First check CPU VID to gage the chips prospective overclock and then overclock it. What you're doing isn't bad either just a different way to work through a BIOS and settings similar to how people work from the ground up...I work from the top down :)

Oh and some helping info for you regarding BSOD's;
http://www.overclock.net/a/common-bsod-error-code-list-for-overclocking

Lutfij - " CPU VID to gage the chips prospective overclock and then overclock it" No IDEA what that means XD But I dont know man.....All i want is 4.4 max, I wont push for more.....
Status : 9 times intel burn out of 10 so far. Wont go over 71/72c, 4.1ghz 1.2 v

edit - Success!

EDIT 2 - Just did 4.2ghz 1.2v and BSOD less than 1min into burn. Raised to 1.205

Omar just use Intel's XTU that I had you download the other day. You can test, monitor, and control everything with one app. And it was made by the manufacturer of the CPU you are using!! Temps don't get nearly as high as IBT, but I've never seen anything make my temps go as high as IBT, so I stick to other simulations like XTU.

OMG you got a BSOD at 4.2GHz @ 1.2v? That can't be right. You want 4.4GHz right? And you have a $100 CPU cooler right? This is what you do, go into BIOS, set multi to 44, set voltage to 1.275, test. Also make sure your vDroop is set appropriately..

BSOD on lock screen.....1.3v now? Ill test 1.280

edit - BSOD 1.280 4.4ghz, stick.
Edit 2 - 4.4 1.285 I set it to and its preparing automatic repair on boot AND it BSODS on that....I guess its no good for 4.4 :( I should try 4.3 1.275v...or 4.4 or 1.29 or 1.3...Ill wait to see what you say

Edit - I saw one of my older posts and it said I got a BSOD on 4.4ghz 1.29v...Should I just try 1.3v or give up on 4.4? Just sitting here in the Bios.......

Ok at the lock screen 1.295 4.3ghz

Wait.....It says 3.6ghz....or so on CPU z but temps are like 74 .......1 time into Burn test so far. Also it says 1.312 bolt 3.6hz, has to be wrong.....

edit - ill let the burn finish and go to bios to check what it was on.

Ok test is a success but I DOUBT it was on 4.3 ghz, but it was at 1.295volt...let me check in the bios now

yeah it wasnt at 4.3 i wonder why.

OK WE HAVE LOCK SCREEN. Lol CPU Z now says 4.3. Lets get going.....

What do you mean turbo? You probably missed the part where the 4.3 now shows on CPU Z, about to run test.

NO bsod but screen froze........had to turn off via psu swtich....Ill try one more time.

I didn't miss anything. There are different ways to overclock. Sounds like you have your turbo off. I personally leave the CPU clock stock and overclock the turbo on my i5. I find it works better for me. That way I still idle nice and low.

Ill do 4.1 1.2v and run a burn test on 20 runs one last time and just use that if it works.....Im sure I could do like 1.280 for 4.2 but thats not worth it right? first let me reset to defualt. How do I reset bios settings?