The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 312 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Alright I guess Ill just leave it at OC gene....

Anyway I Bought another game. I have a lot more but some are free like off steam like loadout and planetside but My main 4 games are BF4, Garrys Mod, Minecraft, and my newest, CS:GO

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
It doesn't seem that fun, but once you play it is actually surprisingly fun. It is decently challenging, and the combat is nice and fast paced, and requires a fair bit strategy, unless you want to go crazy

RussK1

Splendid
Been getting key a lot of of key "chatter" on my Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 and short of taking it over my knee I decided to dump 91% Isopropyl alcohol in ALL of the key switches and crazily enough it worked. :)

BTW - my soon-to-be new house is just out of their network. :(

http://www.vermontel.com/

Verizon FiOS who?

g-unit1111

Titan

Tough call, you can't go wrong either way.

Looks like the Phantek and Noctua you are looking at perform very similarly, with the noctua (with the dual fan) having a slight advantage, but the difference in sound is a large gap. The Noctua is much quieter.

CPU_OC_max.gif

fan_noise100.gif

g-unit1111

Titan

I replaced the fans that came with my D14 with some blue Cougar TC12s - looks amazing!

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Tough call, but I can't get the nhd14/15/u14s because it doesn't fit in my case with the side panel on. I really think the looks of the phanteks one might win me over, because I don't really see the point of getting the noctua that performs slightly better, and much quieter and spending extra on some prettier fans that give up on the noise.
Also, if I do get the phanteks, it'll likley be this one because it matches my color scheme so well:http://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-U-Type-Heat-Sink-Cooler-PH-TC12DX_BL/dp/B00AXUTKE4/ref=sr_1_27?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421725418&sr=1-27&keywords=phanteks
I would go witht the zalman but even though it looks like really futuristic and unique, I'm not really fond of the looks (that's just my opinion)

It's all pretty much the same. Pick up a decent tube of TIM with it and apply it properly and you'll be good to go. I typically just buy heatsinks for the heatsink itself and use my own fans. Unless the stock fans are something special, but they usually aren't. If they were, the cooler would cost $10 or $20 more.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Just finished overclocking my 4670k, I could not get up to 4.6Ghz, I think due to the motherboard, as it was not recommending I go above 1.3v core and 2.1v Input, but I got 4.4Ghz Easy with IntelGods Quick and Dirty guide, 1.25v, but I did not overclock cache as I could not find ring Voltage anywhere.

It is not stupid. It is just isn't great for overclocking. BUT, I think you can get further than you think you can. You said you didn't even mess with offsets or LLC or anything besides voltage and multiplier. You have alot to read up on. With proper knowledge of all these different options, I'm POSITIVE you can get more than 4.1 stable. I couldn't get passed 4.4 with just changing the voltage and multiplier alone, but with everything else set properly, I get to 4.8 without even trying.

g-unit1111

Titan
So here's how my Raven rig is stacking up:

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ02B
PSU: Silverstone SX600G
Motherboard: TBD
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600MHz
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4
Storage: 750GB Seagate 7200 RPM
GPU: Probably Sapphire R9-285X mITX, but that is also being determined.

These are mostly leftover parts from previous builds - the only thing I would buy new (used) would be the case, PSU, and motherboard.

Hmmm, I'd probably want a bigger SSD, at least 120GB.
Unless it has a blower, I'd be very careful of the heat that graphics card can add to a small case. Will a reference GTX970 fit?
If you can still find one, an ASRock Z77E-ITX would be a nice little board. It includes a mSATA slot (e.g. for a SSD) on its underside; just make sure the mSATA hold-down screw does not short to the case.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's the board I want but I can't seem to find one on eBay or Amazon right now, but I'll keep checking.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap which is why I'm using all leftover parts. The only rig I'm buying a GPU for at the moment is my White Knight rig and I'm pretty much settled on getting the Gigabyte GTX 970. If my GTX 760 fits I'll most likely use that until I can afford the 1/2 height GTX 970 Gigabyte model.

This STRIX card is great; it stays silent pretty much all the time, which I like. I have yet to play any really demanding games on it, but hope to soon. The internet troubles I was having (recently resolved) delayed my download of FC4.
So far, the MagicJack seems to be working.

TRENDING THREADS