The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 321 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I decided on the Vengeance C70 black. This case is pretty nice, I like that it has handles to carry it around. Sadly, I had to take off one of my Noctua fans off the D15. placed it on the top of the case, to help out still.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm personally not a fan of cases with handles but Corsair makes solid cases, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I don't mind the handles. Actually, its really nice to carry your computer to friends houses, or lans in the future. I was going to go with the haf 932? But the store didn't have them on stock, and they wanted to sell the display to me, at full price.....

Im heading to Nigeria falls again. I would of taken my computer as well, but it's to big haha.

And my friend got pretty interested to build a PC, so in a few weeks, I guess I'm helping him out haha

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
:)

Wlt8PmD.png

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, them memes doe. Anyways, I download in steam at 7.5 MBPS and got csgo in under 12 minuets. This is amazing. Anyways, Mirka, my dad got me an xbone as a surprise yesterday, and while I prefer pc, I have to admit both the ps4 and xbone are nice little machines. You have the ps4, no? How are you liking it?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Guys, in your experience, can WiFi slow down speeds by as much as 5 mbps going thru 3-5 walls and a tub? We actually pay for the Extreme plan(I think I said Standard before), and thru WiFi, my Speed Test is this:

Up to 30mbps Down and 5 mbps up on Wifi. Wish I had wired, because that would mean my PC would be in my rom, not the dining room. But alas, My room is a 10 by 10, and I have the boon and curse of a queen sized bed and two bookshelves. If I didn't have the shelves, I could have the desk in my room.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I have questions for amd GPU owners,

1. Are you guys OK with the software, and drivers for your cards?

2. What brands are the goto cards to get? I have seen sapphire, and xfx as good brands.

I have been looking around for a new replacement, and I have been interested in the r9 280 dual x from sapphire (224$) and the gigabyte windforce is 199$

1. Not really, and you never know who to blame. Because the developer blames AMD and AMD blames the developer. Crossfire for FC4 does not work, the game has been out for a while and had several patches. Still nothing. But then there are other games where an AMD GPU will actually perform better than an nVidia counterpart. You just have to suck it up before you commit to either side that sometimes games aren't going to work properly, no matter what type of card you own.

2. For AMD GPUs I look at (Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS) then if there's a killer deal (XFX, HIS, PowerColor, Visiontek). I used to love XFX cards but then the last few I bought had that aluminum or metal alloy shroud with the fans, and it always rattled, or it was always really hot out of the box. Then to change the paste you have to document a request with customer service before you break the seal, otherwise your warranty is void. They could have fixed some of this stuff in the past 2 years. But I've been buying mostly Sapphire and Gigabyte. I had a few Visiontek cards (7970 reference and R9 280X) and they worked great.

That said I would go for it, but since you're looking at cards in the $225 range it might be worth noting that R9 290 4GB cards with dual fan coolers are starting near that price now. I saw one the other day for $239.

If you're going to get a 280X, I wouldn't spend more than $200 on it.

EDIT:

Hmm it looks like the prices I quoted were temporary sale prices. I would wait for one of those deals again, Newegg Shellshocker or something of the like. The dual fan XFX 290 was reduced to $249.99 and then a rebate as well.

Right now the going rate on a 280X looks to be $250 which at the moment I don't think is a very good deal. Of course it really all depends on the resolution. If it's 1080p or less, get yourself a GTX 960 for $200. Performs equal or better to a 280X in most every game at 1080p.

On #1, I agree entirely. Neither vendor is perfect, and each has had issues. Lately, AMD is having a harder time of it, perhaps because they're trying to catch up in some ways (e.g. frame pacing) and it might be introducing other "difficulties."
On #2, I loved XFX until I got their HD7970. It was hot and loud, even underclocked. None of my XFX cards rattled, in fact I think their aluminum shroud is a big step up from the more typical cheap plastic ones. Anyway, I returned that one for the Gigabyte Windforce 3, and that one stays cool and is usually quiet.

I did have one XFX cooler vibrate, but it was an all plastic 5770 stock cooler. They sent be a replacement and it was all good.

The EVGA ACX cooler has had some issues with vibration/buzzing as well.

Kind of a pain, but these things happen.

titan.jpg

No, this is not a mistake or anything like that. Yes, my local Microcenter actually had a complete open box TITAN for $103. I called as soon as I saw it and they said a store employee had already bought it and that I was 20 minutes too late. The guy told me it was not a mistake, and actually was a brand new, never been used TITAN and because of some weird loophole about being openbox and not on the shelf but in the back, that it had to be moved to the floor at 10% list price. He also told me this happens decently frequently and to check open box things alot. He said that last week he sold someone a gtx780 for $145 because it was open box and missing the CD, and a Corsair 750d case for $25 because the box was all torn up.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's exactly why I switched to NVIDIA. I am tired of the AMD infighting and Mantle doesn't even really do anything except speed BF4 up faster. Plus I have set my rig up now in a way that it's finally capable of game streaming and that's something that AMD just doesn't offer, even if you have a top of the line R9-290X.

2. For AMD GPUs I look at (Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS) then if there's a killer deal (XFX, HIS, PowerColor, Visiontek). I used to love XFX cards but then the last few I bought had that aluminum or metal alloy shroud with the fans, and it always rattled, or it was always really hot out of the box. Then to change the paste you have to document a request with customer service before you break the seal, otherwise your warranty is void. They could have fixed some of this stuff in the past 2 years. But I've been buying mostly Sapphire and Gigabyte. I had a few Visiontek cards (7970 reference and R9 280X) and they worked great.

Yeah Sapphire makes some pretty solid GPUs. I've owned a couple of them throughout the years and they've all never had a single issue. I decided to go NVIDIA this time around though and went with Gigabyte, and my GPU arrives today. Woohoo!

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
So, you guys think it's not worth testing out a AMD card? The 960 gets outperformed / and even power with a r9 280 in some benchmarks, and it's cheaper. I was looking at the R9 290 as well, and prices look pretty good too.

Damn, hunting for a new card isn't easy lol.

If you read up on the nVidia 3.5GB bug, you'll see that not all graphics card problems are owned by AMD. Both companies have their "gotcha!"s which are probably more important than their respective merits. AMD has more driver issues, and nVidia has an assortment of gimps; pick the one that matters least to you.

Nvidia had over 9 months of unstable Windows Vista drivers.

I can see why that OS launch was so hard with such a high number of companies not ready with stable drivers. Nvidia took top place for this in my mind.

No lie, my 8800GTX took almost a year to even become usable(and this was AFTER waiting for the first service pack). I was ready to dump the OS and for the hell of it tossed in my old X1900XT to test(ALL problems went away). I went AMD for a while after that issue(I mean the 8800GTX was not exactly a cheap card) and only came back to Nvidia on the 6XX cards.

This is not to say AMD has not has issues. I think they are both about on par with one another these days.

g-unit1111

Titan

I actually wouldn't get a GTX 960 if you're wanting to spend around the ~$200 - ~$250 mark, that is one price range where I would actually prefer to go with an R9-285 or an R9-280X. Those are better suited performers than the NVIDIA counterparts are currently.

RussK1

Splendid

I agree.

PCB - I love the PS4...but I havent touched it since I got my PC :( But my brother uses it from time to time and so WILL I so it wasnt a waste. I like it a lot

Sore throat, runny nose, cough, stuffy nose, BLOCKED EARS AND EARACHE....ON BOTH....LIFE CANT GET BETTER, HUH?! Gosh :(