The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 350 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan

There's really no standard for car navigation operating systems as far as I know. I have the Nissan one that's built into the center console, although my brother insists that Google Maps is better for navigation.

I cannot stand built-in NAV. Sucks. They go out of date WAY too fast and then you are left with antiquated junk. I replaced my ENTIRE center dashboard section for one without NAV in my G35 because the stock NAV sucked so bad. Yes, I paid $150 for a dash insert with a simple pocket cubby to replace a NAV system. Nissan has some of the worst NAV there is, ESPECIALLY in their 02-09 cars. I ALWAYS stick to external NAV as it is just SO much better. My Garmin even tells me where red-light cameras and speed cameras are. That coupled with my Valentine V1 and I am basically invisible on the road.

g-unit1111

Titan

The '13 one is a huge improvement over the 2007 one, which I agree sucked. Although this will definitely be my last Nissan, I am seriously thinking of going with a Chevy Colorado for my next car.

i would get an android based double din head unit and use the app store to get your google maps or other popular gps software. just make sure it has a gps sensor and also a wifi sensor if you intend to use your phone as a hot spot or want to run xbmc on it.

I do not like the new Colorado. There are ALOT of issues with it. I would wait at least 3-4 years of the redesign before buying one. People ALREADY have ECU issues with the current one.

I actually quite like nissans. They were MUCH better in the 90s than they are now, but they are still up there. I am actually considering buying a Honda Ridgeline as a Daily driver as soon as I move to Denver in May.

g-unit1111

Titan

Really, good to know. I've only had sedans and I want to get a truck or SUV for my next car. One of my buddies got a Chevy Silverado and he loves it, which is why I'm considering going with a truck / SUV. The Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Jeep Cherokee are on my list.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm not due for a new car any time soon, I still got 2 1/2 years left of payments on my current loan, and then I'll wait it out for a year while I rebuild my bank account before I am ready to buy a new one.

Wow, the grand canyon was amazing! This whole not having a phone for a while thing is nice :D Being away from the PC is pretty nice too. (Ok i have a laptop that Ive opened twice in 4 days lol)

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I used to live about an hour away from there for four years. Have you been to the bottom yet?

I set up my VPN, works, then I try to post here and get "You have been Banned!" Then I turn off said VPN and it works...

After the endless attempts of getting my dad snd uncle to get a betetr computer with wind8 or something, I think they are gonna listen. They use old XP computers for work, but the problem is one of those pcs are at risk because they use it to make online purchases. So I finally got them to get this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $159.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $15.00)
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $40.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $399.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-14 21:00 EST-0500

PS: they lost everything because of a virus for some reason.

g-unit1111

Titan

Using a PC to make online purchases isn't going to put your PC at risk for viruses. Hacks can happen but as we learned with Target, Home Depot, and Sony it's more of a result of extremely poor security on their end, not on your end. And with Home Depot their solution was to buy $3,000 custom-equipped iMacs because... Macs don't get virses (not true). :lol:

Don't macs have the ability to get malware and stuff?

g-unit1111

Titan
I know that, but if you NEVER scanned your system for viruses etc, obviously your at risk :p

Not gonna argue with that one! :lol:

Oh yeah absolutely. *ALL* operating systems are not 100% immune from hacks, malware, viruses and other security threats. Doesn't matter what operating system you are using - Windows XP, 7, 8, Mac OS, iOS, any Linux distro, Unix, Android, Chrome OS, WP8, Blackberry OS, I could go on and on. The fact is we're all on the same internet. Some operating systems are less likely to be subjected to hacks, viruses, malware and security threats, but the keyword is less. The people who say things like "Oh Mac OS X doesn't get viruses" - they just do not know what they are talking about.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah, I lived there. Good place, good people, until you get 5 feet of snow.

Without VPN:

With VPN:

Major Loss, but I am anonymous.

GA-Z87X-UD3H for $15? Where can I get a few of those?

I really like our Santa Fe. It's the larger one, with a 6cyl motor, and AWD. I've been on some gravel/mud mountain roads and had no trouble at all. On the highway, I'm getting better than EPA estimates (27+ vs. 24), although I try to run untainted fuel (i.e. no ethanol) in it. It has a 5000 lb. towing capacity, which could turn up very useful.

Suppose you had decided to build a mini-ITX rig. What would you most want to know about the motherboard before buying? # of fan headers? Overclocking? BIOS options? Ports? What would matter most to you?

I cannot stand how most all gasoline in the US is like 10% ethanol. Terrible for cars. My supercharged G35 won't even run on it at all. Goes straight into limp mode. It also sucks that no-ethanol gas is considerably more expensive. There are a few stations around me that have low ethanol (less than 3%) and some shell stations that have 0% ethanol V-power (what I always use). I have been on trips before where I have had to manually use the boost controller to lower the boost because all I could find was 10% ethanol and needed gas. Ethanol is proven to be very bad for internal combustion engines that are designed to run on normal gasoline.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I saw a Double DIN set that can house a Mini-itx system in it... and a PSU... hmmmmm

VPN Doesn't let me post here :( I have to fix THAT and my Avast, it doesn't scan and doesn't display results like I set it too.

Took the car to a car wash and the driver side door started leaking because the seal was broken last year because my mom left the keys in. Anyways, its a DUCT TAPE JOB!!!

g-unit1111

Titan

I am currently researching those options myself, I want to get a Z77 mITX motherboard so I can put my i5-3570K to use in a Silverstone RVZ02B when they are available. I have pretty much everything else needed to make a system like this work.