The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 368 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Yay, I helped my friend build that pc over skype for 1.5hrs last night, and it went great, only thing left to come is his gpu, and that should hopefully be here this week. I'm surprised it booted, basically all the parts were bought used. Will post pictures after it is complete, but so far it is really solid.

Also, the weird thing is that used parts (psu and monitor) don't seem to come with power cables, but I have some extra, and a sata cable so it should be fine.

I have a file box full of cables of all sorts; power, LAN, VGA, audio, telephone, USB, even a parallel; an old motherboard box with SATA cables in it, and another box that includes a couple of IDE cables and even a floppy cable or two.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

We use floppies to copy the boot sector of our HDD's in case the Master Boot Record gets screwed up.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
My teacher autocrossed a stock Chrysler Laser with a turbo(something like that, he was in stock C(I quote) so...)... This is the guy who has three servers, and is a complete nerd. He also shoots bows rated for bear and higher... Who said nerds can't have brawn...'

My friend doesn't know the difference between drag racing and regular racing. I cried, then my phone restarted, which made me cry more since I was studying for vocab, then an article came up about someone crushing a PT Cruiser with a hummer, which made me laugh... xD

A BASE Yaris is in my budget... barely... not sure about that.. way too small from what the older models look like..

Lutfij

Titan
I apologize for not coming down here sooner;

You all might already know there is an Ask Me Anything going on with EFF and if you guys would like to read through the comments and/or ask questions of your won then feel free to hit this link

I don't know about saying "hi" or anything but the questions are impressive to say the least.

The yaris is a very good car. Nothing wrong with it at all. The only other car in that class I would buy, besides the yaris, is a mazda 2.

Some people just aren't into racing/ cards at all so it is understandable that they do not know much about it.

Most people wouldn't be able to differentiate between dig racing and roll racing, even though they are VERY different things. Most people would call them both "drag racing".

This RAJINTEK AIO looks really nice... Looks you can also expand to it as well..
f42a8346_DSCN1762.jpeg

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Holy crap! I have been driving my brothers car (Acura TL) without knowing, that his tags were expired for 3 months! I'm really happy that I wasn't pulled over for the expired tags. Maybe the dealership cover the plate is covered by was blocking it by a bit, but the 2015 tag had a different colour, vs the 2014 tag.

Also, has everyone heard about the Titan X? Interesting card, but I feel that people who bought the Titan Z, got a bit ripped off for the amount of memory it has. 12gb of memory in a single card, holy crap!

RAJINTEK Triton. I have seen some reviews and they look promising. It is only $99 on newegg for any of the 3 colors. It benchmarks between the H110 and H100i but it is as loud as the H100i.

I'm not sure how I feel about the tank on the CPU block like that.

I actually like it. Replace it with some noctua fans, aww im drooling ^.^

I like the tank on the CPU block as you can upgrade it i think

Not an SRT8? Just a normal 5.7L? If he had mud tires on it, then that makes sense. I cannot stand people who take an SRT8 and set it up to off-road. Yes it makes alot of power and is VERY fast, but it is not designed for off-roading at all. Wrong gears/trans/engine. I love seeing a 5.7L with a suspension lift though.

I couldn't figure out what it was, the only insignia's were the 4x4 and 5.7L HEMI, it looked like they keep it clean, no off-roading. Probably just a nice Grand Cherokee.

I think I'm going to do a mid range touch screen BT ready head unit for my truck. Should I bother with navigation or do the navi's in those $400-$700 touchscreen units kind of suck? I don't have a problem using my phone, but it would be nice to have it on a 7in screen that I don't have to hold on to while I'm driving. The bluetooth is a must, and I need a few more watts going to the speakers, the stock radio doesn't get quite loud enough when my jam comes on. I was thinking of replacing speakers, not sure yet.

Any particular manufacturers or specific products I should either familiarize myself with or steer clear of?

The navis in those suck. Every single one of them. Skip that for sure. Buy a $150 Garmin or Magellan with maps-for-life. MUCH better use of money.

Look at Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony for headunits. For speakers, I strictly stick to Alpine for upper-mid range speakers. Cheap speakers will be worse than what you have stock.

Any aftermarket headunit should have more power per channel than your stock one for sure, but if you want, a 150w amp would not only GREATLY improve the sound quality, it will make your ears bleed. I put an amp in my G35 to go with the stock BOSE system and even though I listen at the same volume, the clarity is MUCH better with the stock speakers. Sort of like how even $65 headphones benefit greatly form an amp.

There's two little cubbies under the rear bench seat that could easily house an amplifier and possibly a subwoofer if I wanted. Even on my old Toyota Tundra, I put in a $150 Sony headunit and those stock speakers sounded way better than on the stock radio. And the stock radio in my new Dodge sounds decent so I can only imagine what a decent built-in would do. I could always leave the speaker and amp upgrade for later and still be making a considerable upgrade. I just feel kind of jipped that I have a new truck and no hands-free.

I was thinking about getting something like that for my phone even. We don't go on trips often, but it would be handy when we do.

I read something about mainstream unlocked Broadwells today. I'll dig up the link, but it gets me excited about building a new system for the first time in a while. Maybe in time for Windows 10?

g-unit1111

Titan

That does look pretty bad ass actually. Can you expand that to a liquid GPU water block or add more fans or what else does it offer in terms of expandability?