The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 380 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lutfij

Titan
Anyone who likes reality television would love the mishaps and adventures they've shown on the Scrapyard wars+Whole Room watercooling initiatives.

Issues;
The whole room watercooling idea was brought up here on Tom's and on OCN and the main issue that was discussed widely was use of biocidal agents no matter what size of a loop you scale to. The use of anti freeze inhibits water flow and also impedes pump performance and subsequent damage/wear meaning often maintenance and repairs = loop down time. The fact that Linus wasn't educated enough to know that the anti freeze doesn't contain any anti bacterial agent shows how much he knows about watercooling and also the bacterial growth in the loop would've found its way inside the blocks restrictive areas not to mention the tubing. I won't even talk about use of water from the faucet in that loop as that is a clear no-no in the watercoolers handbook. So in short all the tubing has to go, all the copper pipes need to be flushed instead of treated with iodine and the tubing work has to be streamlined around every build and external radiator+tear down all loops and blocks and clean with fine soft brush and elbow grease if there are signs of damage or clogging. To add more salt to the wound, the filters he used were connected in the wrong way. Watercooling is best achieved when you plan it thoroughly instead of adding on more components and compounding costs. So it either means he's distracted by his perverted puns and comments or he knows nothing about the subject matter aside from babbling.

If he put some thought into it he could've easily accomplished the whole room watercooling feat with a peltier cooling unit similar to 4Ryan6's setup.

There is no hate towards him(honest) its just that the time and effort invested in pouring out knowledgeable info is gone to waste when newcomers to the scene view his work as Picasso and Michelangelo. They're(the former) not even close to a masterpiece.

It's only some of his earlier reviews found a year or more ago were good but like I also mentioned before the squeaky voice gets to my ears and apparently I need to stare at the reviewed product to distract myself.

/rant off/

+ 1 Tiny!

The B2 units are also VERY good. They are what I would look at.

PCbuilder, I have watched every single LTT video made in the last 6 months, and many of his early videos. I do not pass judgement based on hearsay or popular opinion. I do my own research and come to my own conclusions. I even we as far as to join his forum/community. What a mistake that was. Immature and ridiculous. Even mods berated me and told me straight to my face in threads I STARTED that Tom'sHardware is full of "crap, liars, morons, etc." and that I would be ashamed to be part of the community.

Linus, very clearly doesn't give a s*** about any product he reviews. He never even seems to want to do it. Like he rolled out of bed, put those ridiculous earrings in his head, and said "what product do I have to do now and where is the script?". He then makes some clearly poorly scripted jokes about the company/product, says it's pretty decent but could improve xyz, and the review is over. EVERY SINGLE REVIEW HE DOES IS THE FREAKING SAME.

HE doesn't care about anything he does. This is very obvious. Look at the water cooling room part I think. Maybe part 3. He straight up says, when he gets frustrated, this project is stupid and I don't want to do it anymore but we said we would so we have to. AND THEY LEFT IT IN THE VIDEO. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What kind of message does that send?

I have absolutely no respect for Linus or his community. He is a money grubbing, biased, ignorant, arrogant jerk who blatantly doesn't care about what he is doing at all.

Also, he is pretty clearly high in many of his videos.

/rant

D

Deleted member 217926

The new EVGA GS models made by Seasonic are every bit as good as the SuperFlower made units. They either are now or will soon be available in 550, 650, 850 and 1050 watt versions.

850w model review.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=414

Not sure why you would need to replace an X-650 though unless you need more power. That is an excellent unit. The basis for the EVGA GS series.

Lutfij

Titan
+1 to B2's. If I'm not mistaken the P series incorporates higher wattage units, correct?
I'd have suggested another brand but you'd dislike them :D

+ I thought I was the one who'd have a rant here. I'm also skeptical about his in house design, video and graphical productions...surprisingly they were supposed to be quality work by Linus and his team. One of which was the Func mouse video.

EVGA B2 & G2 are Super Flower; GS is Seasonic.
Linus just grates on my remaining good ear, and I'm not sure I care to risk it. Rather than the uber-techie he thinks he is, he may be a marketing droid, with enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I would most definitely want fully modular, and I don't need 1000w+, so it looks like the G2 850w and GS 850w would work for me. I don't really have a need to replace my current PSU. I do wish I could find a set of replacement cables for it though. The X650, I think it's the 2nd version. All the stuff I find is for different revisions.

RussK1

Splendid

I think I mentioned that previously. He's a bit of a wanker... somebody I'd want to wedgy. He's a joke... I'd rather watch Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/user/paulshardware

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
I tried Waterfox but it was very buggy and slow for me. This is not a placebo as I could see the lag happening in youtube videos, opening a new tab, loading a new page, etc... I'm not sure what's wrong. I reinstalled it three times to no avail.

Also updated Adobe flash/shockwave, didn't change anything.

I haven't figured Paul out yet. In general I like him, but I can't tell how well he really knows his stuff. He certainly isn't a goober or drone. He may be a highly skilled Marketing Droid with a sincere interest in technology, but I don't know if he's an original thinker. I've watched a number of Newegg TV videos, and none of them were bad.

Could be anything from plugin's to drivers to the kinds of surfing they do(maybe many tabs).

I personally only used Waterfox for about a month and found it had similar issues to the ones mentioned by RazerZ(slow than expected performance). It seemed to happen with the browser left on for days on end. I leave Firefox open for weeks on end without these issues. I am not saying Firefox is perfect, it has its moments(but it is still my browser of choice).