The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 400 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
019c3a7fd91c2cfd11957fd45f0e199d.png

3.7ghz at stock? Don't know if thats decent. I just slapped on the multiplier

D

Deleted member 217926

Glad I don't like GTA. 60GB is insane.

Bossyfins this your first time overclocking? Use the Intel Temperature Guide in my sig for safe temps and voltages.

g-unit1111

Titan

I pre ordered it, been waiting for this for a while, got my 970 just for this game. Although buying this off Steam - probably not the best decision I've made lately. :lol:

D

Deleted member 217926

GTA games are fun for about an hour to me but I hate driving games so that might explain it. They are just so repetitious and boring. I don't even like what I consider to be the GTA clones like Sleeping Dogs, Mafia II and even Just Cause II. They just get boring quickly to me.

I have a huge backlog of games on Steam. Not sure if I want to try out the Arma series or the Witcher series next.

Indeed it is.. I was watching an OC guide to the 5820k on Tech YEs City, but he lost the silicon lottery so I ended up learning OCing off Linus....

Also, thanks for the reference. Ill book mark it.

I think I'm going to go with a Maximus IMPACT mITX board, an i5-4690K, and a 500GB SSD, possibly M2.
I'll re-use my SG-650, GTX970, Define Mini case, Xigmatek Gaia, 8GB of RAM, and a pair of 1TB drives in RAID1.
The first upgrade will likely be to 2x8GB of RAM.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's just so close to desktop Broadwell being released why not wait a couple of months and see if they are anything special? That's what I'm waiting on to finally upgrade my 2600K although it will be more of an upgrade just to upgrade than anything necessary.

It's not CPU performance I need; if that's all it was I wouldn't get the ROG board. I want to see if Sonic Radar will allow me to enjoy FPS titles, and I'm also really irritated by a power/sleep issue with my AMD system. If I put it to sleep, it continues to draw 126W from its UPS. If Windows puts it to sleep due to inactivity, it draws zero like it should. I took a look through power settings, and didn't see a reason for the discrepancy; that's a huge waste of power though.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah I looked at that when you mentioned it above. Looks like it might just work for you. It's just an odd time to upgrade with a new arch coming out so soon. And who knows Broadwell might be a huge enthusiast disappointment. If so I'll go with an i7 4970K.

I was hoping GTAV would be done by the time I got home. Still 8GB to go, somehow my internet reset or something and it stopped downloading. GRRRR, I'm going to play some Far Cry 4 until it's done.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Bought the game last night, and took two hours to download. Good thing I got new internet, would've taken like 3 days on my old one. Anyways, this looks AMAZING compared to the console verisons, really need to play to beleive it.

have you looked at the phanteks evovl? or is it to big for you?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
It is VERY well optimized. I don't use triple monitors for much besides productivity. Really a huge help with editing videos/audio for some stuff I do with friends, and for writing essays. I usually just play with my center monitor. It runs very, very well. With everything maxed besides tesselation on high, 2x antialsing, and reflective msaa off, I get between 50-60fps for the most part (v-sync on). It is DEFINTLEY very well optimized considering how pretty it looks/well it runs on my system.