The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 401 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Ok, I've ordered the Maximus VII Impact, an i5-4690K, and a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, which for the next several hours includes a free 128GB USB3.0 thumb drive.
Edit: Future upgrades will include a 2x8GB RAM kit and a similar-sized M2 SSD, and possibly a miniITX case. It needs to fit the Asus Strix GTX970, which is a huge card.

D

Deleted member 217926

Another example of why I haven't upgraded my 2600K. And I've had it since the week it was released in January 2011. I hope desktop Broadwell gives me a reason.

my 2500k@4.5ghz is still going plenty strong 3.5 years later. i dont foresee any reason to upgrade my base setup for at least a couple of years. i will retire my 780 classified when i can get my hands on a gm200 or amd equivalent at the $450 price point.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Yep, I really hate this cpu, I think that my amd cpu time is approaching a quick end... Also, I think i'll be going for a 4690k at this point with an msi krai edition z97 board as the price dropped to $110 and seems locked there. (Also, in everygame but skyrim and jc2 from what I've seen, the cpu maxes out). That includes far cry 3, battlefield 3/4, gta 5, gta iv, and so on. Always over 90ish percent

Also, is there any point getting a 2500k at this point or should I go z97?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, I too am in California, but not near where you showed me. Thanks, gave me ideas. But considering how old those are, I really don't want to deal with any limitations down the line so I might just go z87/97 and get either the krait or a board that supports usb 3.1 as those have been rolling out.

Found a 4690k for $175, but he upgraded to an i7 for csgo? That sounds unbelievable, I easily max it on my 4300 hahaha.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Maybe he thought a better CPU would help even though the i5 doesn't even try

Looks like I will have to do a COMPLETE reinstall of Windows D:

The sound will just not work. My thread is dead to :(

Ohh.. The pain. 4 days of downloading games, and contacting Riot Support because LOL won't download...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I NEED a complete reinstall, but I have to figure out a way of backing up only my data and reusing this key...

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
oh, and if I change platforms, I need to reinstall windows too.... AHHHHHH, last time I did this I lost SO many game saves because I thought they were cloud saves... Basically all of the games except what I played. Abandoned like 6 games because of that haha

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Yes there's a point, that's why tiny suggested it lol. The last three generations offer nearly the same performance. Sandy Bridge makes up for its lack of IPC with its great overclocking capability. Besides m.2 and SATA express ports I believe there isn't any significant advantages using a Z97 board... there's Broadwell support but if you already have a high end i5 I doubt you would need to upgrade.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
You really don't need much. The 212+ I had could do 4.5Ghz easy. I guess you could say it depends on the luck of the chip, but a lot of these chips can reach that speed without a huge voltage bump and a cheap aftermarket cooler.

If you're going for a higher overclock, then I would look into beefier cooling like a dual tower heatsink.

It all depends on the chip, as stated above. MY 3570k will do 4.5ghz at 1.16v and will do 5ghz comfortably on air cooling. Some other 3570k's I've seen struggle to get to 4.5ghz period with like .15 more volts than mine. It is all about luck.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Nope, if I got one I'd have to buy it.. Hmm, and for overclocking, what kind of intervals do you recommend going in? Like how much would you increase the multiplier at a time before increasing the voltage? Is it based on how it performs under stree tests?

My 3570k was easy. I got 4.5ghz on my old board on auto voltage.

My old Phenom 2 x4 965 BE was NOT easy. It took a small amount of voltage for EVERY freaking step. It was very painstaking.

Basically I would just leave the voltage at auto (assuming a good board) and go straight to like 4ghz. Test that as stability and see what kind of voltage droop you get. Then go back and add volts if needed (shouldn't need any) and bump the multiplier up again.

With a very good board, really all you need to do is set your offsets and set the clock speed you want while leaving the voltage set to auto.