The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 590 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Downloading Ubuntu 15 right now for my laptop. I want to make sure that I purchase the Witcher 1 and 2 from steam on a secure computer since, well, I'm quite suspicious my desktop has some malware and I don't want to take any risks. I'll be reinstalling Windows anyway in a few days when I get my motherboard.

Basically, in task manager Service Host: Local System always uses 25% of my CPU.

My aunt just got hospitalized. She has rheumatoid arthritis. But, she recently got a sinus infection. But, today she collapsed, roughly 7pm PST. Just got back from the hospital, with the words that she would need to stay there for another 2-3 days. Sad part is, I am leaving to Prague, as a school trip on the 1st of january. Damn...

Lots of people are idiots. It amazes me how many people I see texting and driving nowadays on my commute to/from work.

I do generally drive faster than the majority of traffic, but I am never in anyone's way or put anyone in any danger or anything like that.

I get annoyed by the people who drive 25 in the 35 zone and then once it turns into a 25 zone they all drive 40. There's this area by me where that always happens, because the 35 zone is more residential and the 25 zone is more commercial.

We have an issue on the highway I take to/from work where the speed limit is 70, but the on-ramps are short as it passes through many densely populated areas. This causes people to not be at highway speed when they are merging, because they underestimate how fast the need to accelerate. Realistically traffic is usually moving about 80-85mph and then people try to merge in doing like 45-50. It's awful and TONS of accident happen as a result of it. They need to put in signs that say highway speed limit is 70, please merge accordingly at the beginning of all the on ramps so people will know to hammer it and get up to speed.

I doubt it. The ramps are not THAT short. People are just uncomfortable with accelerating quickly. That is the issue. I recently had a rental Chevy Spark base (CVT, 84hp, 12 seconds to 60mph) and I had no issues, you just have to wring it out and you will be fine. I have no idea why people have an issue with this.

I've never been able to figure out how people can text and drive at the same time. I hated to even take calls while driving, and never make calls. I've got Bluetooth now, so taking them isn't so bad, but I will either pull off or at least wait for a long stop before trying to call someone.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Tiny - I agree with you. People merging in 20 KM/H under the highway's 100 km/h limit is really stupid, not to mention, people are going a lot faster then the limit. I see it all the time. Gotta give them the flash, or a honk to tell them to go faster.

In my opinion, if you're not comfortable with driving at higher limits, you shouldn't be driving on those roads.

Onus - EXACTLY! I was driving somewhere right now (taking my mom so she can shop) and I set up the GPS and I found it very hard to change stuff to it while driving (It was my phone in a small cutout covering a screen)

My dad texts and drives a lot and im like how can you do that??? Its hard and scary! Sure id probably set up bluetooth to the car to take calls but id never even voice text....