The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bexx

Honorable
May 9, 2013
He's accepting everything he just said there was a lot of them and quite often lol his last count was about 200 all together

Decided to throw my rig in here. Specs are in my sig, these pictures are from the first boot, first install, cable management with new powersupply, and upgrade from a 7750 to a 760!
7JxUjgv.jpg

JPREv0t.jpg

7mhgkBT.jpg

Z3ggdYJ.jpg

8Xsungc.jpg

Prime95 on first OC
bFKWXgB.jpg

Any imput on cool things to do with the case/PC in general would be appreciated!

Panzer AppleHusky

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Putting this up here just because ^^
Finished sleeving the PCI-e power cables today and they're working perfectly. Probably gonna end up redoing em though, a little shorter and neater.

1016402_495871123866179_1052608673_n.jpg

Gam3r01 I'd look into hiding some of those cables. You've got a very nice rig so a little cleaning up would make it look very very good.

How did you get your sleeving gear so quick? Where and what all did you get to do the job. It looks really good by the way. You could definitely go a little shorter if you wanted to. But regardless, it looks much neater than before.

The picture I have with the panel off is as good as it can get it sadly. All the cables that can be, are shoved inside/on the HDD and drive cages. The rest are routed somewhere else, and due to no cable management in the case, I am stuck! I streamlined it as you can see, but there is no room left haha.

RussK1

Splendid

That is very impressive.

Panzer AppleHusky

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Stickg1 I actually haven't received the tools or supplies yet. What you see in the picture was done with stuff I had lying around the house and a spare pci-e cable I had left over from the build. I just took the cables apart, sleeved them and put them back together, snipping off any unnecessary connectors. What I want to do is completely fabricate my own cables with new pins and not reusing the old ones.

Gam3r01 That's when you start thinking out of the box ;) pun definitely intended. I'm sort of facing the same situation with my case.

Maybe if I had a modular PSU instead of this TR2 that would help relieve my issues haha.

Panzer AppleHusky

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

I used staples. Break one off from the bunch, bend one end so it's straight, then just stick it into one side of the pin, then do the same with the other side and tug. Not guaranteed to work, and might damage the pin (one of the wings on one of my pins broke off completely) but as a quick and dirty solution, it works pretty well.

Yep, that was pretty funny. Looks like he was closing the reservoir when he was starting the pump. The coolant needs to replace the air in the loop. The pump never got primed, started sucking in air, then it died. Poor kid. Famous last words "I'm really confident in my abilities"

Ok. Well since the Z87 GD65 is a gaming based MObo, i think they made it easier...not sure but someone told me ALL you have to do to OC is raise the CPU ratio (Ill start at 45 aka 4.5ghz) and voltage at 1.2v. Is that ALL? Ive seen many others have to change a lot of stuff but is it really that easy?

Oh and those are the two softwares you use? Is it really needed to use Prime 95 and run like 6 or 24 hours? cause a dude with a GD45 uses real temp and intelburn and he has 4.6ghz at 1.22v on a 4670k which is amazing and he only ran it for 10 minutes (10 times which he said only took 10 minutes)

Everyone has different interpretations of a "stable OC". To some people if it boots they consider it stable. Other people think 24hr stress test and several hour gaming session is stable. You can stress test only a few minutes if you want but then you go and play a game and you get crashes, blue screens, hard freeze, etc. And you know you have to go back to testing.

Since every chip requires different voltage for specific clocks, the simple answer is no. Setting multi to 4.5 and voltage to 1.2v will work for some people but not everyone. But it is a good starting point. Set it, if it stress tests fine then try lowering the voltage a notch or two at a time to cut down heat. If it's not stable then add a notch or two until you reach stability.

Ok so once you get a stable OC (to me stable is testing using stuff like OCCT, intel Burn test, etc and it Not crashing, ever, what is stable to you?) you lower the voltage to see if its enough to cut the heat but if it crashes, raise it again. But what if 1.2v and 4.5ghz is stable, i can raise it to 4.6 and make it 2.25v and so on. But did you run the tests for HOURS or like one hour? 2 more things, is that the only thing you need to change? Voltage and ratio? thats it? Nothing else? And finally, how many days did it take you to get a stable oc?

I use folding@home 24/7 (if I'm not gaming but that happens maybe 1 hour per week). So if my overclock is not stable I'll know. To me stability is important. I'd run IBT a few times to get close to the right settings and then run Prime95 overnight when I go to bed.

For a basic overclock like 4.5, manual voltage, turbo off, RAM @ XMP auto, and with that mid range MSI board everything else auto to start with.

Hey my MOBO is NAT midrange :p So..folding@home for 24hrs..IBT a few times and no need to game cause folding at home kidna does that for u right?

TOTAL, FOLDING@Home, IBT and Prime 95 over night. No need for 24hrs. 8 hrs is good right?

Ok, here is Phoenix. Yes, some of the cable management is sloppy. The last thing I added was the front card reader, and its white snake of a cord needs to be put away. There are also a couple of visible fan cables. One I could easily reroute, but the other may just need to be tied a little better.
It would probably look better if I removed the upper drive cage too. It is turned that way to allow better airflow from the front fans. You'll notice the silicon pegs on which the top and rear fans are mounted for noise abatement.