The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Yup. I got a bsod on that and even on 4.2 so I raised I am starting at 4.2ghz with 1.25v...Running Prime 95, So far is has gotten up to 62c...No crash so far. I will run it for 15 minutes i think.

If your PC runs what you need it to, it's a good CPU.

Please don't turn a good CPU into a bad one by feeding it too much voltage.
My overclocks are mild-moderate, but I've never smoked a CPU.
I'd judge its merits on how high you can go on STOCK VOLTAGE, which should be safe.

If your PC's performance is meeting your needs, all an OC does is use more power and create more fan noise and heat.
I would not increase the voltage above stock at all, or maybe a single .1v increase.

Intel burn test 10 times, and Prime 95 15 minutes, No crash. 1.25v and 4.2ghz...Gonna raise to 4.3...at 4.4 im done. Max Ill go is 4.4, Dont need more than that.

Onus - I know you are right, but OCing so something a lot of people do, even you, I am not going for anything extreme. I really need to sometimes just let myself decide if I want to OC or not rather than bother people about it.

That same process goes for any overclock. Pick your clock speed you want if in this case its 4ghz then find a voltage that 4ghz is stabke at the slowly start backing the voltage down until it becomes unstable. Then you will have your lowest stable voltage which will keep heat down and yes possibly increase lifespan of the cpu

Hey the more tests the better I guess. But if a program such as prime stresses ur cpu to max just like ibt does then just run prime twice lol. The more you run the better I see why you run both. I normally just run prime once or twice then try gaming. The constant fluctuations of usage seem stressful on the cpu as well. Or so it seems from what I have read.

Tiny - Its just a modest OC. I know you really dont want me to OC for some reason but its just a modest OC. Plus, Even if I gain a bit, temps are still the same and PC didnt gain sound.

Still lowering the voltages to get as low as possible.