The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I would say you can get more for your money.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Why do you think I'm running 3 drives in comparison to 1 single huge drive? It's not as black and white as this costs less if you understand storage.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

You can also have the HDD be in different partitions, and will be cheaper :)

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Why would I do that? You know the purpose of running Raid 5 right?

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, I'm not familiar with Raid sadly, but I guess if that's how you set it up, then my bad. Didn't see the other reply.

RAID-5 on a mobo controller seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth, and you can't use cheap drives in RAID-5, you need TLER / Enterprise class drives.
I'd suggest a RAID-1 setup instead, with a pair of 2TB drives. With RAID-1, you can even use LP or "Green" drives.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Personally as long as I'm building a computer I'll never run a single HDD drive again. Basically I can lose a drive without data loss. Between the performance and the redundancy its a good route to go. Sorry if I was short with you but that's the quick run down. So far the array has been working perfectly.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

I'm running Raid 1 in my brothers computer. Works fine for what he is doing. Raid 5 is actually pretty easy to set up on the newer motherboards.

g-unit1111

Titan

Ideally that's what I want. Realistically... fat chance. :lol:

Especially with the cost of DDR 4... :ouch:

RAID-5 is not difficult to set up, but: 1) you NEED drives with TLER, otherwise your RAID will drop a random member from time to time, degrading until it is rebuilt. If two members drop, you're hosed; and 2) mobo RAID-5 is [very] slow compared to using a dedicated controller board. The performance may be a non-issue on a desktop, but then you're back to #1.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

The performance isnt an issue at all. Well ofcourse if two members drop your hosed. If you drop a single HDD drive in some of the systems I'm seeing built on here your cooked. But that's one point of running Raid. You also certainly do not need a TLER drive to run Raid.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah and the motherboards and CPUs will start trickling out tomorrow... seems like poor timing on the manufacturers' part.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

I mean I may buy it in bits and pieces...but for 160 bucks you can get 16GB of DDR3.

2TB of space requires either 3x1TB TLER drives in RAID-5, or 2x2TB [any identical] drives in RAID-1. Omega, Phoenix, Abomination (yes, even that one), Greenhouse (my wife's PC), and Piglet (my Dad's; he's the family Pooh, so he needed a Piglet), are all running RAID-1. I've had a couple of crashes on my systems that have caused rebuilds, but no drive has failed, and no one has lost any data.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Good..that's what I like to hear. But seriously you dont need to run enterprise grade drives for Raid 5 to be effective.

A primary reason to run RAID (other than 0, which is for speed) is to get data security. Using non-TLER drives in RAID-5 entirely defeats the purpose. I used to be a Netware Administrator, and wasted multiple consecutive weekends fighting with a constantly-degrading RAID-5 because the boss' boss micromanaged my drive choice. Finally after the second weekend my boss convinced the guy to relent. I got the drives I'd wanted in the first place, and the RAID became rock solid.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

It doesnt defeat the purpose at all. Especially for what people want to do on this website.

USAFRet

Titan

For most users on this website, RAID (0 or other) should be considered nothing more than a hobby.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Exactly

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

What we're doing on here is a hobby is that I wasnt kind of pointing towards. I must say I got a big laugh around the office when you said we had to use Enterprise grade drives for Raid 5. I'm interested in what lead you to that conclusion.

You'd have big cries around the office if they had to waste their weekends rebuilding failed RAID-5s. I have. If you're interested, read up on RAID levels and on TLER; wikipedia actually has some good articles on the subject.