The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Well that just about sums it up.

I used to use raid0 for years, then SSD came out :)

Now days it is just a WDC Red for my files a Blue(2.5) for my media center recordings and a green and seagate lp external for my backups.

On the other hand, my girlfriends system has been running raid0 for 4 and a half years(did have one of the drives start to go, but was able to clone it to a single drive and back.).

While RAID5 may work fine with normal drives, you can run into lots of trouble. I would take note of some of the warnings here for sure.

USAFRet

Titan

Can it be done? Sure. Is it actually beneficial, apart from a "lookie here!"?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

That either:
a) He's rich as all-out.
or
b) The tech companies must love him a lot to give him free stuff worth thousands of dollars
or
c) His friends must me nice to give him such stuff.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, yeah. He owns his own company, and electricity costs alot less up in Canada. He gets alot of engineering samples, may not be all-out rich, anyhow. He worked at a well respected company for 7 years, though.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not happening on X99. 240 pin DDR3 will not be compatible with 288 pin DDR4. You're pretty much forced to buy new RAM for that setup.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

I know I was just pointing out the price difference at the moment between what's currently out now and the A Data DDR4 I'm looking at. I'm sure they will fall in a few months.

Lutfij

Titan
Being careful with downloads isn't the only thing you should do. In essence your venture on the net would need to be cut down to mere minutes since there is the opportunity for someone or something to take over your computer.

Even having a free version anti-virus is worth it however a licensed software pays off dividends. Imagine down time when a virus infects your system and you have to format the said machine...too much time to fork out.

:)

RussK1

Splendid

Security Essentials.

But if you install Bitdefender Quick Scan you'll get a free 6 months of Bitdefender Internet Security 2014.