The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
No not the full atx case. The same one you have. the mid-tower.

A buddy bought a new PSU and GPU and decided to upgrade the case as well from some ancient PSU-on-top case. I did all the moving over and assembling for him.

this was like the second to last week of August right before I left for school for my last semester.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
My brother finally spoke out, and said he wants me to build him a workstation PC....but the problem is....I don't know much about work-related hardware lol.

He asked me how much roughly a workstation pc will cost him, and I said maybe 1500-2000$ (I honestly think more) for the top of the line PC. Since the new intel CPU's have been released, I checked them out, and god damn it'll cost a lot!

400$ for a i7 5820k

300$ for a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 motherboard

and 270$ for 16gb of DDR4 memory

God damn. I think it'll just go with a i7-4930K instead, i don't think DDR4 for his programs will make a differences, and it's too early. Got a lot of research to do.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

i7+ Titan or 780ti(or r9 290(x)(295x2)) or Quadro/ Firepro if he needs it...

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I actually just did a workstation build for my school and have another coming. A decent xeon, reliable psu/motherboard, good cooler, quadro k2000, enetrprise grade hdd (4tb+) with a decent size boot ssd should be very good. I would get a xeon. We use both firepros and quadros at school for cad, and autodesk inventor byfar takes advantage of the quadros features.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

No gaming cards sadly. The programs he'll be running are mainly CAD software (Mastercam, Solidworks) He needs a Quadro.

I was thinking a Quadro k2000 first, since he does a lot of 2D work, and a small amount of 3D work. I use a Quadro 2000 in my workstation.

If we were in the movie making business, a GTX titan would make more sense.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Yeah, I also have a Xeon and Quadro 2000 in my workstation. Adding 16gb of memory, a 120-250gb ssd, a 2tb hdd and a psu gold from Corsair, or Seasonic.

The CPU + Mobo I have to look at, but I do have a general idea. His programs are CAD related (Mastercam and solidworks)

g-unit1111

Titan

Mine is Intel X79 with an i7-3820 and a GTX 660, it gets the job done, I mainly use it for basic CAD software (Autodesk and Sketchup).

Looks like I might be getting the P2 sooner than I think - my current PSU is dying and I need a replacement. It's failed on me a couple of times lately.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
For advance cad, my school is also using i7 4770's with some kick-ass silverstone cpu air coolers, quadro k4000's, 32gb 1600mhz, and some asus workstation class board w/ rm 750's. Also, not sure what case but there is dual 120mm intakes, a 120mm exhaust on the back, and a 200mm exhaust up top

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Lol, we are still trying to find out how big our budget is... I thought it was 25k, could be more...

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
The college I visited when I was at high school had a bigggggg tall stage-like-room (Not a stage, but a size of a stage) of macs.....

The one I went to had computers from Dell with dual cores lol..... I felt bad for those poor dual cores trying to process Mastercam with a ton of tool paths D:

Of course they did it, but very slowly, and the 60mm fans would be crying in pain haha.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Lucky... I remember, our old school (elementary) has "top of the line Macs". This was when the "new" flat-screen macs first came out and we got a grant of something. So we got around,, 70-ish Imacs. This was from hte old Bondi-Blue macs. Where I learned HTML. To bad all we used them for was internet activities and typing programs. Also, they had the lowest specs possible, more than enough for us.

Currently, we are on i3's and gt 230's, but an upgrade is due soon. We need a hot-swap bay, but the mobo does not support it, so we got screwed over.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

0.o, beverly hills? Yay, I am officially older that someone here :p

@daniel

Total overkill, but SOOOOOOOO worth it IMHO. What kind of guy would pass that up...

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

For some reason, PCpartpicker doesn't list the K4000 on their site, only the K2000. I'm not sure if my brother actually needs 32gb of memory.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
True. 16gb ram and a k4000 should be good. Just get some nice positive air pressure, and keep the fan running at either 7 or 12v. As long as it is cold and reliable he should really like it.