The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 219 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

That's what I thought he was saying but just wanted to make sure. This is something I'm actually purchasing.

T-V I agree about Linus. I've watched a few of his videos, but tend to find them awkward.
Those new 980 and 970 cards look amazing. I'm going to try to sell Omega with its HD7970 but without its RAID1 pair (it will have a 250GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black) and get a 970 for Phoenix.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014
Well I'll be honest with you everything except the graphics card(270X) and the CPU Cooler is up in the air right now. Now with that being said everything will fit into the case that I've been looking at so its narrowed down quite a bit. Really I'm looking to do either a FM2+ config(AMD 860K) or a G3258. Really what I'm worried about with the G3258 is the overclocking feature at some point being disabled on the H series boards.

g-unit1111

Titan

And I've never quite understood that either. I think this is a very underrepresented market here, motherboard manufacturers are missing out on this segment.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

Honestly I was really surprised when I looked for them yesterday. I saw how well the 8370e was overclocking and the power it was using so that may have been a route I would have gone. But there arent any boards and combined that with the minimal FM2+ mITX boards I have no idea what AMD is doing. But the flack that the 8300e processors was getting doesnt seem to be justified now after looking at how well they are doing.

g-unit1111

Titan

What's funny is that there's a ton of motherboards out there that are AM3+ and mATX, I've even built a couple of systems with FX CPUs in small form factors. But there's no mITX motherboards out there that are AM3+ compatible, but there's tons of Intel boards out there. I would think with the trend moving toward small form factor PCs that AMD would be jumping to capitalize on this market, but they must be leaving it up to the manufacturers.

Although a plus - the GTX 970 and 980 are now available. I will be buying one in the next couple of months, selling my 7870s to pay for a second: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600536049%20600536050&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20980

Debating whether or not to get the EVGA or Gigabyte models.

g-unit1111

Titan

The P2s have been around for a while. The 1KW P2 is the PSU that will be powering my system next. My Silencer MKII is kind of on the fritz.

Evga is making me mad with their PSUs. They are pulling a Corsair. Perfect textbook definition. Some good PSUs that review VERY well, then some other junk in the same series with the same name to confuse people into thinking they are also quality units.

Corsair RM series is a great example. 450,550,1000 are all VERY good units. But the 750 and 850 aren't even better than the CX line. WHY? Marketing.

Look at the Supernova NEX650G. Oh its a G unit so it should be amazing right? Nope. Although not bad, it is not great either. Many review sites claim it can't even reach GOLD efficiency, which it claims to have.

Then look at the B series units. Average quality budget units. But then the supernova 750 B2 is really good. About the best cheapest 750w unit you can by which blows away all its direct competitors (cx750).

I'm sick of all this marketing and naming trickery crap.

g-unit1111

Titan

EVGA isn't the only one that does this, though - there's so many of these where they have some products that are great, and others that are flat out terrible *COUGH* Cooler Master *COUGH*. It's all about the marketing.