The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 222 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah as much as I want X99, and in particular the Asus X99 Deluxe, the sheer cost is bordering on ridiculousness and it's not worth it for a few minor tweaks in performance from the 3570K I have now. I have no plans to upgrade the CPU and motherboard until at least Skylake, or maybe beyond. I will be upgrading and selling the GPUs I have to the 970 because I want to set my rig up for game streaming. But otherwise I'm fine with the hardware I have now, the way my White Knight rig starts up is near instantaneous. Pretty much all I've been buying lately are peripherals. I will be getting the Corsair K70RGB to complete the setup I ultimately want to have.

g-unit1111

Titan

GTX 970 SLI and Corsair K70 RGB will be my last purchases for a while. I need to pay down my credit cards and save some money. Going X99 will definitely not be the way to save money as I'd be spending at least $1200 minimum on the setup I want so that's out of the question right now. :lol:

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I need a 970 and a new cpu/mobo/ram (probably a new platform, at this point am3+ is dead to me) and I think I'll be done in terms of hardware but of course audio, monitor and peripherals are all still needed. Not that they are bad, but not as good as I would like.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I kind of agree that AM3+ is becoming a dead platform. Until AMD actually releases a new socket (AM4, something else?) with DDR4 capabilities, Intel is going to continue to destroy them in the benches anyways. I've just been buying peripherals lately since I've only ever had bad / cheap ones and I'm seizing the opportunity to get some good ones to match my H440 in the process.

My thoughts exactly. Even my 280x, I might get in an hour a week of gaming if I'm lucky.

What I do want is to be able to record and stream any TV program on or to any of the TVs in my house. What would I need? A tv-tuner and decent LAN setup? Or is there an easier or better way? My options for TV service are a local cable company, Hargray, or one of the satellite providers (DirectTV or Dish Network). I have to get my internet through Hargray regardless, so I got the "bundle" that includes cable TV as well. The DVR kind of sucks, it's really slow and only holds a dozen or so recordings. And you can only watch them on that specific TV. I would get one for each room but it's $15/mo more expensive than a standard box. So I only have one, for the living room, and two standard.

I'm looking for a different solution because I've had this setup for a few years now, the price continues to go up and I don't really feel like the experience we're getting is really worth the money. I know DirectTV has a package that will probably work for me with better receivers. I just wonder how much my cable company is going to gouge me for internet once I break the news to them.

RussK1

Splendid
Yeah as much as I want X99, and in particular the Asus X99 Deluxe, the sheer cost is bordering on ridiculousness and it's not worth it for a few minor tweaks in performance from the 3570K I have now. I have no plans to upgrade the CPU and motherboard until at least Skylake, or maybe beyond. I will be upgrading and selling the GPUs I have to the 970 because I want to set my rig up for game streaming. But otherwise I'm fine with the hardware I have now, the way my White Knight rig starts up is near instantaneous. Pretty much all I've been buying lately are peripherals. I will be getting the Corsair K70RGB to complete the setup I ultimately want to have.

I don't foresee replacing my i5-3570K either. Nothing I have struggles in the least. The $600-$700 it would probably take for a platform upgrade just doesn't seem like money well-spent.

Both of you have fully capable machines so there's no reason. I can see wanting the 5820K for the six cores @ $350 but the price of RAM is beyond ludicrous at this point.

What I do want is to be able to record and stream any TV program on or to any of the TVs in my house. What would I need? A tv-tuner and decent LAN setup? Or is there an easier or better way? My options for TV service are a local cable company, Hargray, or one of the satellite providers (DirectTV or Dish Network). I have to get my internet through Hargray regardless, so I got the "bundle" that includes cable TV as well. The DVR kind of sucks, it's really slow and only holds a dozen or so recordings. And you can only watch them on that specific TV. I would get one for each room but it's $15/mo more expensive than a standard box. So I only have one, for the living room, and two standard.

Hargray has some some serious negatives against it. I would look into satellite TV or Time Warner.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3890/~/how-to-watch-movies-and-shows-on-your-computer,-tablet,-and-cell-phone.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I'd seriously love to have a six core CPU but the cost of DDR4 is what's driving me away. Although right now I'm heavily contemplating switching my HTPC to a Pentium G3258 after seeing today's System Builder Marathon article. $59 for CPU + $44 for motherboard doesn't seem too shabby.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

I'm really tempted to pick one up tomorrow

The SBM build was a lot more impressive than I'd have expected. Still, I don't see buying one, with a pair of i5-3570Ks and an unopened i3-3240...
If I want to experiment, it will most likely be with lowering power, such as AM1, but I'm not sure how useful that will be, so I've not pursued it.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I am planning on installing windows on the spare parts build pc sometime. I can't believe it still works, before I put that motherboard in the build it was laying without protection in a plastic box for almost a year... Those core 2 duo's are really are something. I think i'm just going to use it as an htpc. The c2d is not bad, but the 6gb of ddr2, and the nice psu and upcoming gpu should treat it well. Maybe eventually an ssd might go in after my 7770 gets moved over. Before that, I really need an ssd for my laptop, though. The laptop is really fast, but has a crappy 5400rmp hdd.

I think I'm going to downgrade a bit. I have that AM3+ board and 270x at my parents that isn't getting the amount of use I originally planned. Probably just put a 8320e in that board and bring the PC to my house. Part out my watercooled rig and keep some of the drives and RAM. I haven't really gamed at all recently, and I've gotten really busy with work and family issues. The money would be better used elsewhere and I might as well get money for it while it's still relevant.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I would not put waste 100 for a spare parts build. Use linux.. or dare I say it OS X(*gasp*)... If you don't use the dvd drive of the laptop(assuming there is one), take it out and put a HDD in place of the DVD Drive, and an SSD in place of the regular HDD. It should work since the drive still uses SATA... or IDE if it is really old

FX-8320e
Gigabyte mATX AM3+ board
270x or 280x
128GB or 256GB SSD (either Crucial M4 or Muskin Enhanced)
Seasonic X-650 (will ride this thing until it dies, no signs of it yet)
CM N200 case
And I may or may not watercool parts of it.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
It's actually a pretty new laptop. Quad core a10 5750m, radeon 8750m in crossfire with the onboard gpu, 6gb 1600mhz ddr3, it's the envy 15z j000. its slimline, so no chance of that

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
+stickg1

Still a very solid build. If yous still have the itch go for the watercooling overtime. You might want a better mobo if you want to watercool, this ga78lmt-usb3 isn't very good for oc'ing

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

custom made waterblock anyone? Hearken back to the olden days where car radiator cores were out PC watercooling cores? That would be a fun retro project....

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

huh. I read multiple times it was car radiator cores... wierd..