The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 238 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
This?

c04420214.png

Really good for maybe a budget build. Only a 100$ and seems half decent.

I have these two little Dell 21" monitors I got locally. The guy wanted $40 for them and when I got there, it was an old friend I hadn't seen in a while and he just gave them to me and wouldn't take my money. He had just opened his own bicycle shop so I brought a couple bikes down to be fixed and paid him for that.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm loving my BenQ monitor that I got a couple months ago - very nice, clean display no dead pixels and I can watch HD movies on it. The only downside is I can't figure out what that weird green piece of plastic that comes with it is used for. :lol:

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on my PSU upgrade for my Dark Knight rig, though I'm having a hard time deciding if I should go for the EVGA 850W G2 or the 1KW P2. I know the 1KW is overkill for dual GPUs, especially since I plan to upgrade to the 970, but Platinum would be a major upgrade from the Silver I'm using now.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

realistically, what are you going to save? 5 bucks a year?

Any PC left on 24/7 will be idling much of its time. From a purely cost-saving perspective, the Platinum isn't worth the difference. If the PC is used for Folding, scratch that, as it won't be idle; I still think it will only be a few dollars a year, likely not even $5.

Agree with this 100%. For a 'normal use' computer, the efficiencies don't matter because it will be at idle (WAY out of range for good efficiency) for the majority of the time.

g-unit1111

Titan

It's probably not going to save me anything because energy prices in California are borderline insanity, but it does allow me to go for a triple SLI setup, if my motherboard allows for it! :lol:

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm waiting for the EVGA ACX model myself, but I'm definitely in no hurry to get one. I need to upgrade my PSU first and that's a much higher priority before I start upgrading the graphics.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014
I saw the 1000W G2 gold on sale today G-unit...I would go for that

For the GTX 970s use this

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx970/

Show's when and where they are in stock

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh really? Where at? I'm definitely interested if I can score a good deal.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014
On Newegg it's a little off the regular sale price plus a 30 dollar rebate. Making it $144 which I consider really good for the price. Probably the best thing I've bought for my computer.

g-unit1111

Titan

NCIX had it for $144 according to PC Part Picker but I've never had good luck ordering from them - my credit card company doesn't seem to think it's a legitimate sale because the company's headquarters is in Canada. Argh, frustrating. :lol:

Although Newegg has it for $10 more and it comes with a $30 rebate so it's about the same price. Not too shabby.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014
Really? That's weird. I've only ordered from Newegg...TigerDirect has some interesting deals sometimes but nothing to really jump on. Also why the EVGA model? You want the non reference design right?

g-unit1111

Titan

I've always been partial to EVGA cards. Maybe that's because where I work is literally right next door to their headquarters. :lol:

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014
Oh ok I was just curious. The coil whine is real though...I've heard it...I like blasting metal music but I dont want my hearing gone this early just to cover up the sound lol

g-unit1111

Titan

So do I. My A2s have been getting a lot of workout playing lots of Katatonia, Mastodon, Dio, and Iron Maiden lately. :lol: