The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 239 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan

Honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've only ever used cheap speakers or the ones built into my monitor, so it's nice to finally get a real set of good speakers. These things are very well made and I eventually want to get the subwoofer. And I've been really testing them with some of my favorite albums like Iron Maiden - Brave New World, Black Sabbath - Dio Years, and Katatonia - Viva Emptiness, all of which sound amazing on these. Even some of my favorite non metal albums sound really good, as do movies.

g-unit1111

Titan

Beats headphones = $20 in raw materials, 450% markup because... name recognition. :lol:

I'm planning on buying a 970 soon as well. I will, more than likely, be getting a blower card though.

I recently blew out a tire on my car and wound up replacing all four of them, so that set me back a bit from buying my 970, Oh well.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I had these $10 sony's, which blew out after a month. I found that weird since Sony's normally last me a while, even at that price. I have been using the Samsung ones since I got my new phone several months back. While they don't have as much base, the sound is much clearer.

g-unit1111

Titan

I want a new phone very badly (I like my HTC, but the cameras on HTC phones suck so bad it's hard to recommend them). The nice thing is though, I'm not eligible to upgrade until March. But when I'm eligible, I will get to pick from the Nexus 6, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and whatever else comes along. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between the Nexus 6 and Galaxy Note, but the Nexus is losing due to lack of removable storage. The non stop, and increasingly lame advertising of the iPhone 6 is making me want to get one less and less. :lol:

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

I miss my M50s. I traded them for a HD 7950.

Once you upgrade to something decent from regular earbuds, trust me you will NEVER want to go back.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I know, but at this point, I don't see the need to pay 20+ for a pair of earbuds at this point.

I paid 1.04 including tax and 15 a month for the phone, it's an s4. I use the google launcher as touchwiz is somewhat laggy sometimes.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
lol, I compared my s4(technically 2 years old) to a iphone 6. My screen was bigger, better. I had more storage(SD + Internal), mine was cheaper, and mine is ANDROID 5.0 LOLLIPOP.. I need a new siggy..

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that is also the one thing that's turning me off the Nexus 6 - it's an incredibly sweet phone spec wise and includes the latest version of stock Android, but fixed storage is a deal breaker.

MAD respect for replacing all 4. I can't begin to tell you how many cars I see rolling around on all different tires. So dangerous and AWFUL for the car. I just put new rears on my G35 to the tune for $220 per tire so I know that feeling.

g-unit1111

Titan

Well when I took it into the mechanic he told me that I could only replace two at a time because one of the tires was completely destroyed (and I mean completely - hit a nasty pothole), but the mechanic told me he could cut me a deal if I replaced all four and it was cheaper than buying two at a time.

I never have, but I have seen the youtube videos where people do it. The only time I ever had a dent, I just removed the fender and popped the dent out properly and reinstalled it.

I have used brake cleaner and a blowtorch to mount tires though.....:lol:

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
For as long as I had my s3 (october 2012 to november 2013), for about 6 months as it being my first smartphone it felt super fast, but at the time got cyanogen mod 10.1 nightly, clockworks recovery, and overclocked that phone like crazy. The screen got destryoed and still haven't gotten around to replacing it. I've said this earlier, but I love my moto x but the screen is far too easy to scratch so an upgrade might come along

I've always replaced tires in pairs, I believe with one exception, a blowout on a relatively new tire (and I was traveling; probably 800 miles from home).

I'm considering a much dumber phone, but I want it to have a camera. Otherwise, my most important criterion is probably battery life. Suggestions? The smaller, the better.

I used a toilet plunger once to pull out a dent, I believe from some clod on a bicycle hitting my [parked] car.

RussK1

Splendid

Oh the ether and lighter method... very common "on the job" wheel bead fix! I've done it many times and it works. :)

Eye protection and compressed air is good to have on hand.

I wish I could rotate my tires. I would probably get 2x the life out of them but I have different width wheels in the back and front and directional tires so I cannot rotate back to front or side to side.

Russ, We do it all the time. It is usually hard to find a shop that will stretch tires for you so we do it ourselves. :lol: