The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 242 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan
What would be a good case suggestion for a low profile, Linux-based HTPC? I've got most of the other parts except the case, I also have a low profile GPU that would be used just for delivering a picture to the monitor. Primary usage would be movie watching and online content streaming.

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163239

Or:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112403

I don't want to buy junk like Apevia or HEC if I can help it.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
lol, we will be showing people 2 minute computers (mobo on box + CPU + RAM, turning it on, hooked up to a dvd drive and monitor with LINUX in less than 2 minutes (less that 1 in some cases)), a tree on loop(lol), and maybe my matrix batch program. :p

g-unit1111

Titan

The bad thing about that Lian Li is that it's more than twice what the Silverstone costs. I've generally had pretty good luck with Silverstone and their cases are built like a tank.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

I agree with window, but little amount L.E.D is nice

looking at picture, Lian-Li quality not so high... looks cheap and flimsy.

I like the small InWin "BP" cases, like the one I used for Gypsy. My only real complaint about it, easily fixed, is that its power LED could be used to perform laser eye surgery. I was in and out of that case many times while dealing with an initial no-boot issue (mobo's fault; mSATA hold-down screw shorting to the case, fixed with a piece of electrical tape) and it continued to fit together perfectly. I'd buy another.
Furthermore, the included PSU was reviewed by c.hegge at HardwareInsights (actually at my request!) and while not 80+, it's otherwise mostly decent, although it does have some Samxon caps in it. For a HTPC, that should be a non-issue.

That bright huh?

I think you will be fine since those caps are not great with heat and I do not think you are abusing them.

@ all
I quite like SilverStone cases. decent quality and a good price. I will admit that thicker panels on some cases would be nice and locking panels on the FT03 would also be welcomed.

g-unit1111

Titan

The bad thing about the In Win case is that Newegg only has one model and it's a mITX, and I need at least an mATX since the motherboard I have (EVGA P67 SLI) is an mATX motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
G-unit,
You considered looking at the Node 604?

Nuke,
I've bought the same case as Onus and I can vouch for the laser treatment LED up front.

I'm currently contemplating doing something like this:
IMG_0176.jpg

as a workaround for the LED. Currently it isn't causing an eye strain due to the orientation of the case. It's about 2 feet away from my right corner of the eye and with my dual monitor setup I'm mostly working off the left portrait 23" monitor but it'll need to be dealt with as it shoots a blue orb across the room and gives a Twin Peaks kinda misty-cism vibe :p

g-unit1111

Titan

I've sliced quite a bit off this year already. :lol:

I need to start selling some stuff to recoup some money that I've spent over the last few months. Plus I'm also now planning on downgrading my PSU and getting a 850W G2 instead of the Platinum P2.

g-unit1111

Titan

Well I would like to go SLI with the 970 since I want to set my rig up for game streaming and for that purpose I will definitely need a higher wattage PSU. But for a single card I know I don't need that much.