The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 248 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
For individual parts (e.g. a couple of graphics cards) I have used ebay. Entire PCs I generally hand down, since UPS is notorious for banging them around, but I've thought of using Craigslist for local sales.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Looks like another day to play around with my H100i. I woke up, and turned on my PC, and the h100i was making this buzzing noise. It was acting normal yesterday, I don't know why today it started doing it.

The buzzing noise happened before when I installed it. I just loosened the screws, and it fixed it. Tried the same fix, and it didn't work. I might have to use the stock cooler today, and order a CM hyper 212 evo.

The Hyper EVO is a bang/buck Loser. It has many competitors, including NZXT, Enermax, Rosewill, Masscool, and Gammax; at least one of them is almost always as much as 40% less expensive, for similar performance (+/- 1C-3C, which makes no difference; if it does, you need a 140mm Phanteks or Noctua for 3x the price). Even the older Hyper212 Plus qualifies as a better deal.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I definitely want to look at upgrading my cooler on my Dark Knight rig but that's a low priority for me at the moment. I'll look into the Phanteks and I'll also look at the Noctua. I also have my old EVGA cooler but the clips on that thing make it a pain to use so I'm not using that anymore.

g-unit1111

Titan

I've had Zalman fans before, I'm not really that big of a fan, I would rather buy the heat sink and use my own fans in order to get the color scheme I want.

How's the Deep Cool Lucifer? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-856-002

Is that a good cooler or should I stick to the Phanteks or Noctua?

g-unit1111

Titan

That looks awesome, I believe that's what I will get, along with an extra fan to match the color scheme I've set up.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Holyyyy crap, I put some new fans in (2 AF120's) and plugged them into my CPU fan headers, and they are spinning SO fast. I went thru my bios settings, and changed the fan speeds, and nothing. They're spinning like there isn't a fan in the CPU header.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Sadly, no. But I guess the extender I found didn't read on the motherboard, so I took them off. My fans are spinning at 1600 rpm, for no reason lol.

Honestly, no idea why I choose AF's, I guess to try different fans, so see if my other fans were the problem.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, you can't adjust the fan speeds, you need to be like me and get a fan controller lol. It sucks, but either that or get a resistor of some type. The issue is that the fans actually don't have the built in pwm components, so an adapter won't work, think of that more like an extension. The old ones were probably very old, or just special as some work fine with fan adjustment on a 3 pin.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Yeah lol. The H100i was causing the problem. Don't know how it did, because the fan header wasn't connected to the motherboard.

Luckily, I have a stock cooler from my CPU, so I decided to take off the h100i, and it fixed the problem. My room is really damn silent now lol. That was a awful experience with a AIO cooler, I'm never going to think about them for my future builds anymore.

The phantom 240 has a fan controller? I thought NZXT just replaced them with something near as the NZXT grid. My old phantom 410 had a 3 way fan controller, and my define R4 has one as well, but only 3 fans.