The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 249 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

No returns? You could just buy new fans, you know. Anyways, I actually had to buy a nzxt sentry mesh, the case didn't come with one. Stupid thing is either it's defective or the fans suck at over volting because at anything except min or max, they make a vibrating-ish noise. Kind of weird, but oh well. My room is usually freezing anyways because I only use my pc in the evening/night and have a room fan and a window open so temps are ok.

Anyways, what are your specs Daniel?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Wow, maybe try making something like a big diamond of fans on the wall. Can't find the picture, but I remember it being somewhere on jayztwocents setup videos. Anyways, if you wanna make the room look a little fancier, maybe try a literal wall mount

I live in an apartment at school where I can't mess with the walls until the end of December when I move back home with my parents after graduation. In may I will be moving to Denver with my GF to start work so I will be able to do neat decorative things once I am settled there. Lol

I have been through 5 cases in the last year so that's like 12 fans right there. I have only bought like 5 of them, 2 came with 2 different AIO coolers I have had (used), 2 came from Air coolers, and I have been given the rest by friends/ people I have done builds for.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Had it for 2-3 months. I had different fans, but I guess they also didn't work.

My specs are:

i5 4670k
MSI Z87 G45 gaming Motherboard
GTX 770 EVGA ACX SC
8gb of g skill sniper memory
128gb ssd samsung 840 pro
1tb hdd WD black
and The Fractal design Define R4 case

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Hey Onus, if I'm looking for a new heatsink, is there a recommendation that is better then the Hyper 212 evo? I don't really have a budget, and either 120mm or 140mm fans would be great. Would like something pretty quiet.

I bought mine when I built my PC, it costed 10$ less here in Canada lol, now they cost 35$

i3 for sure. Yeah there are some games where the 6300 holds it's own, but there are also many games where the i3 beats even an overclocked 8350. The 6300 gives VERY inconsistent performance over the range of games where the i3 is VERY consistent and generally better overall. Plus it uses less power, makes less heat, and is not on a dead end socket. No brainier.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Alright thanks, just wanted to confirm. Someone tried arguing that an overclocked fx 6300 can out perform a locked i5 and claimed he had real world experience with the hardware. I don't know whether this is true or not.

Out of curiosity would there be a noticeable performance gain on a FX 6300 going from 4 Ghz to 4.5 Ghz?

That guy was full of it.

In some HEAVILY CPU threaded games, you might see 2-6fps from that .5ghz overclock, but nothing more and that is ONLY if you have a very high end GPU that is causing a CPU bottleneck. With a normal GPU, no, there will be no gains at all.

Can you link to the thread? I'm pretty sure I have dealt with that guy before.

Lutfij

Titan
Remember to contact the mods by using the report button on the lower right hand corner. Thank you for using Tom'sHardware :D

:lol: jokes aside, I've seen plenty of them threads - best is to provide links when you are going to go head first with them. They would be the DUI guys while you are the innocent bystander driving home after a long day at the office.

Speaking of which, how many of you eventually dropped in a higher performing CPU into your rig without swapping a mobo you bought initially when assembling a rig for yourself (or your mates/family members)?

With the way it works in here getting to change hands with CPU is a very far fetched idea.

Take a look here:
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/07/07/review-xigmatek-gaia-sd1283/7/
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/11/27/review-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus/4/
It's not that the Gaia was better (although indeed it was), but that the fans used made a difference. This tells me that most any 120mm tower cooler will perform similarly, so just look for deals.
If you don't care about price, and just want better, look at Noctua or Phanteks. They're going to be up in the $65-$80 range, but are as good or better than most AIO liquid coolers (and without the noise).

g-unit1111

Titan

I took out the stock fan that came with my 212 Evo and replaced it with a Cougar TC12 and it made a huge difference in cooling. Which is why this has made me reconsider the cooler I've been using in the first place. I thought about getting an AIO like an H100i but I think I want to stick to air.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Ah, thanks for the links :)

What's your take on the Noctua NH-U14S? It's 69.99 on newegg atm.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

The lowest I can find it is for 88$

It's not a concern, but I think the D14 is made for serious overclocking. The highest I'll ever clock is 4ghz lol.

TRENDING THREADS