The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 252 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I've got a friend who does a nice blues/jazz "booze cruise" streaming audio program, with somewhat of a pirate motif. Well, every pirate needs a parrot, right? So I built "Parrot" from mostly spare parts (only the mobo and case were new) and sent it off to him yesterday.
Warning on the Fractal Designs Core1100: you can't really tell from the pics, but the circle below the power switch is NOT a reset button; it is the HDD LED. This case has no reset button, which would have been a dealbreaker had I known. It is well-made, but the material is thin, and cable-management is non-existent. Also, if any drive is 3.5", you can only mount two drives unless you use a 5-1/4" bay.
Anyway, it's an i3-3240 on an ASRock B75-PRO with a 120GB AData SSD, a 320GB WD Blue, 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM, the HD6850 I got from ColGeek, and a 550W Antec TruePower New. I found a great background image online with a pirate with a cutlass and a parrot on his shoulder. I think he'll like it.

g-unit1111

Titan
So I got my Silverstone ML04 today in order to build a second HTPC and as I'm putting everything together (mostly from left over parts) I realize the case only takes low profile graphics cards and I don't have one. Looks like I'll be ordering a GT730 ASAP since the motherboard I'm using doesn't support onboard graphics.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
The UPS man came, and drop off my D15 :D

This thing is huge! I was really impressed with their packaging, and how they labeled all the parts. Installing it was REALLY easy, better then the CM hyper 212 evo. But being it's big, it was hard to fit my hands to fit the fan headers, so I oped to use the y cable instead for both fans. The fans ARE SO QUIET, they're running at 200rpm, and they're keeping the temps at my acceptable standards. (27-30C) I'm not using the LNA adapter, but I'm seriously impressed, good job noctua.

Money well spent. It really destroys my old h100i.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I wound up getting a GDDR5 version of the GT730, it's really only used to deliver a signal to the monitor since the primary use for this box will be used for online streaming content and that's about it. The only 7750 low profile card I could find was from Visiontek and it was way out of my price range.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I saw that one but it too was a bit out of my price range, this computer is not going to do anything taxing graphics wise, so just having something that displays a picture from the PC to the TV is all I need for this.

g-unit1111

Titan

That one isn't a half-height graphics card. My case can only accept half height GPUs. I already ordered the GT730.

Here's a picture of what the case looks like:

IMAG0172.jpg

I bought a GT 640 the other day. Unfortunately it's the DDR3 version. However, similar to G-unit, it's only used for video streaming and light gaming. It was on clearance at Best Buy for $40. I figured why not, I was going to have to order something that would have cost a few bucks more anyway.

g-unit1111

Titan

All I really need it for is to deliver a signal from the PC to the TV, a 750TI is a bit too much. I will be getting a 750TI for my Pentium G system but that won't be for a while.

Hmmm, interesting. I can't help but think someone will buy their product portfolio and name. They're too well-known for someone to not see enduring value in those. We'll see. In the meantime, perhaps there will be some discounts?

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Well now that you've heard the bad news, here's some good news. If you happened to own a Pentium 4 system for personal, family or household use between November 20, 2000 and June 30, 2002 you can get $15 cash as part of Intel's settlement for their ten year old manipulated benchmarks.

It's not much, but at least you get some compensation rather than nothing at all. A little late though.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2842647/intel-will-pay-you-15-to-settle-claims-it-fudged-pentium-4-benchmarks.html

Claim site:

https://www.intelpentium4litigation.com/Claimant/ClaimForm