The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 268 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Mostly the reason I suggested these phones are because of lolipop. Haha, really makes a difference, but it's coming to others slowly, but kind of surley? Lol, anyways, not bad choices either

Rammy

Honorable
I'm currently phone shopping myself but struggling because most of the options are insanely expensive right now.

I'm currently on a £26/month unlimited data plan and I had to pay nothing outright for my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note, which at the time was still £500+. If I'd upgraded after the minimum period (22 months I think), I'd barely have paid off the cost of the handset if I'd bought it at retail. Approx 2year cost - £624

I like my Note so I was looking at getting a Note 4 as it seems a really nice phone, but current UK prices are utterly insane. It's not vastly more expensive than the Note 1 - £575 to buy if you can find one, stock levels have been terrible - they've been going for £600+. Despite this, all of the networks are charging somewhere in the region of £100 outright and a minimum price plan of £38pm. Approx 2year cost - £1000-1100 (and most of these plans are not unlimited data).

So I've been looking at alternatives. My girlfriend has an iPhone6 Plus, which is nice enough but I don't like Apple stuff very much and it's even more expensive than the Note. The Oneplus One has been tempting but I've heard very mixed things about the software and I really can't be bothered with the hassle, but the price is very reasonable (£269 for a 64Gb version). Then there's the Nexus 6, looks really nice and should be a pretty decent phone but again it seems incredibly expensive. It's cheaper than the Note/iphone but it's still £500-550 depending on which version you get and that just seems ridiculous for a Nexus device.

It's a very odd situation. There's no way the market could genuinely be running at what, 30% inflation every year. It's likely that I got a very good deal last time out and this time I'm going to get stung like everyone else. Due to the way these things work I really should get out of my current plan asap as I'm just paying for a phone I'm already paid off, pure profit to them.

Nice monitor Omar, I think I probably recommended that to you, I have a very similar LG 24" IPS monitor. I love it. I love my new 55" LG LED TV as well. So crisp and clear.

I got my FX-8320E today. (Well yesterday but have been at my Dad's the past few nights)

It worked no problem with my board, a did a little overclocking, the fan I'm using is a 92mm TX3 styled cooler (it's a Rocketfish rebranded cooler from Best Buy) and when I get above 55C the fan gets a little loud. So I'm keeping it low at 4.3GHz until I get a new cooler. Unfortunately this motherboard doesn't allow me to control the fan speed curve effectively. I found a CM Seidon 240M AIO cooler for $50 shipped and will put that on. It fits the case (CM N200) easily and I can put some nice quiet fans on it. I plan on folding this CPU 24/7 but it is also the family HTPC that is connected to the new big screen. So quiet would be a huge plus. I was planning on buying a nice $30-$50 air cooler but saw this used AIO liquid cooler for so cheap that I had to take a stab at it.

In case you were wondering, this is what my main system looks like these days. That's right, I game on an i3, and yeah, I overclocked it by 70Mhz because why the heck not!?!

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Whats the plan with the multiple rigs? Near the beggining of the thread last year, weren't you going all out? Now aiming more budget orientated? Also, hows the 8320e w/ the ga78lmt-usb3. I am doing a cpu upgrade sometime, and that seems like a viable upgrade. Doesn't overclock much b/c the vrm's but oh well.

g-unit1111

Titan

I like my HTC One for the most part, I do find that the cameras on HTC phones really suck (as evidenced by the photos I've posted here :lol: ), plus I find the 32GB storage very frustrating. I really want to get a Galaxy Note 4 with a 128GB micro SDXC card, that will be sweet.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Kinda random, but thought this shot was pretty cool
DcMuaUW.jpg

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hello! Finished the robotics pc today, and wow is this thing a beast. Just waiting on the cm v550 and the monitor and done

1230v, 16gb hyper x white, spec 02, v550 gold, Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, firepro 5900 crossfire w/ 5800 (run as indivuals, but ahd two so why not), 480gb crucial ssd, and overall awesomness

I was wondering if I ran an ati v5800 firepro in crossfire with the amd v5900, what would happen? Worst case, they will run as separates, no? Had only one issue, and that is that one of the usb 3.0 pins got fuully bent down, after someone trying to help me foreced a cable. Ugh, have to order a usb 3 to 2 adapter now, but oh well.

Also, tok that through the mesh on the top of my case.

See if you can pry it back up with the tip of an exacto knife and then use an empty mechanical pencil to bend the pin back into position. As long as the pin hasn't snapped off, it could work.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

128GB does sound pretty sweet. That's like the storage size of small netbooks. My 4s is 16GB and is doing good for me so far. Really the only thing that takes up space is my music collection, but even then I have a few gigs left over. It would be nice to have a few movies on there though. I can't imagine what I would do with 128GB of space.

Entertainment wise I have crunchyroll and netflix so there kind of goes my storage needs.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that is the one thing that I've found that takes up the most space on my phone is the media - my music, photos, and video. The Galaxy Note 4 is the most appealing out of all the phones I've looked at because of the 2560 x 1440 screen, 32GB of onboard storage, and 128GB micro SXHD card. So looking forward to not having to pick and choose what I have to keep and delete on my phone. :lol:

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

If it has the same chip, and the same amount of memory, you can crossfire it.

For a example, you can crossfire a R9 280x and a HD 7970 together, because they're the same chip, but different names. Even the HD 7950 and HD 7970 crossfired together, but the 7970 would drop to the same performance as the HD 7950.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hmm, so specifically the ati 5800 and the amd 5900 would work together? If not, and I power up what is the worse thing that could happen? (considering I have a sufficient power supply, and a motherboard that supports crossfire). No display?

Is there even a crossfire finger on those cards? The worst case scenario is you have two independent GPUs, best case scenario they are compatible and have two GPUs working as one. It's not going to blow up or catch fire or anything, lol.

Speaking of crossfire, I had a 7870 fall into my lap so I tried crossfiring it with my R9 270x last night. It works, but whatever card I place in the top shoots up to 75C-90C under load, which is understandable because it has much less room for airflow, but it's too hot for me to game or fold on, so kind of pointless. Looks like I'll just put it in my HTPC so I can play certain games on the big screen. Mostly just games that I use a controller with, sports or racing.

I assume you messed with the fan profile?

I have two 2gb 7850s in CF right now and my top card (ASUS) was hitting 75c under load (hot for a 7850). Turns out the stock profile for that card only had the fan spinning at 35% at 75c. Re-mapped the profile to have it be at 50% at any temp over 60, and now it sits perfectly cool at 64c at 100% load.

I have had this happen with most AMD cards I have used. VERY low stock fan profiles.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I installed the low noise adapter and a two fan splitter on my tx3 and put the coolermaster fan on there. This should be okay, right? My hw monitor readings are SO off (idles at like 10c and maxes at like 42 so doubting that is real, but this setup shouldn't be bad, right?

Like you added the stock fan to the other side and kept the noctua? That will only result it worse temps. It will definitely not help at all. Coolers like the tx3, 212 EVO and most other single heatsink coolers either gain nothing or lose a bit from adding a second fan.