The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 349 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Thanks ;D

Really, doing cable management in this case, is really nice! It's really hard to screw up, because of the PSU and HDD covers hiding everything + the huge amount of space in the back too. I might post this tomorrow at Reddit on pcmasterrace. I would like to do a /r/battlestation post as well soon :)

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
So should I go for the Toshiba Satellite P50-B for $1100 which comes with Office 2013, case, mouse and 8 gb flash drive or should I go for the ASUS ROG GL551JM-DH71 which is $1070. Would still need to get Office 2013 which is $117, wireless mouse, case and a flash drive

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-Black/dp/B00MMMMMX2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422662434&sr=8-2&keywords=gaming+laptop

Toshiba:
Processor 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
Microsoft® Operating System Windows 8.1
Microsoft® Office Software Office Home & Student 2013
Memory 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)
Hard Disk Drive 1TB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
Wireless LAN & Bluetooth® Intel® Wireless-N 7260 Plus Bluetooth 4.0 (300Mbps)
Anti-Virus Software McAfee Live Safe™ (30-day trial)
Standard Limited Warranty 2 Year Standard Limited Warranty (1 Year on Battery)

Its an extra $200 if I go with the Asus because of the extra stuff I have to get

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Awesome! R/cablemanagment might really like it aswell! Make sure to link us :)

Just about to die. Stayed up all night because i procrastinated on schoolwork; slept 1 hour: 5AM to 6AM. Drank an entire cup of coffee before school, go to school tired but alive, and i die now. God i can't even keep my eyes open.

On another note, damn that case looks nice.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Sounds like a nice idea too. I really want to get sleeved cables for my power supply, but I can't fit the kits. Corsair makes their own PSU cables for AX series.

I'll come back after work to fix some cables in the back, so they're being held by the zip locks.

@Lutfij - Thanks for the write-up! All those cases look awesome! I would definitely look into one if I were using it for my main rig. But this will be more of a budget build. It's still in early planning stages so we'll see where it goes!

Well the ASUS actually has a discrete GPU in case you use it for gaming. It also comes with more RAM and a better HDD. But you didn't mention what the laptop is to be used for, so it's hard to say what the right one for you would be.

Well....Cant really talk about PCs cause I DONT have mine now. Phoenix is very nice! Heading down to the grand canyon today.

On a side note, What I REALLY need for my build is an SSD, K70 RGB, M65RGB, um like 3 AF140 fans NON LED with teh red rings c: and red sleeved cables for my PSU

I've found with these two more or less air cooled rigs that there's a point of diminishing returns cramming your build full of fans. One 140mm or bigger in, one 120mm or bigger out, and you're pretty much good to go. [:stickg1:2]

Lutfij

Titan
Stickg1,
Don't mention it mate! ;) Don't get me wrong, I thought you were looking to downsize on your S3(now sold)/350D/matx unit and go custom watercooling inside it thus the mention of watercooling in the suggestion. Fret not bud if and when you think the itx project is coming to a point of realization and funds need allocating - just gimme a buzz and we can hash out the details.

itx builds can be possible for a budget build though as stated before the key word with SFF is compromise. Storage, cooling, noise etc etc etc.

You should know I also sway towards limited run hardware/products for the sake of a unique limited edition erm build and ofc a little bragging right albeit I don't proclaim that I own something superior.

* I'm on the same boat with fans - don't have too many fans as intake or exhaust if the case supports it then always have intake = exhaust but don't overdo that bit either. With the advent of more and more 140mm fans in availability and popularity you get less turbulence and therefore noise when pushing equal volume of air on a 120mm fan.

I just saw that Hex Gear in B Negative's hands. Looks like that's going to be his next build. Should be interesting, I really like his work, he can be kind of rude and short on the forums but that has nothing to do with his art! Looking forward to seeing what he does.

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah he and 9 others were chosen by EK to build and mod inside the Vulture chassis. I think that in itself is a very high accomplishment to be taken notice by such a reputed brand. Deserving if anything!

Regarding his attitude, he has been that way from the get go - once you warm up to that you can actually get some very useful info out of him ;)

There are a couple of more in the works but I can't put my finger on them - you would be best served to sub(or lurk, whichever is easier) on the scratch build section on OCN - can turn up a gold cherry every once in a while :lol:

Hex Gear is really new to the scene and they broke into the market via Jameswalt+B neg's build logs - well chosen candidates IMO!

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Thanks! It is a nice case. I'm going to fix some of the cable management in the back, but the build was really easy.

My sister wants to transfer her build to the C70, so maybe I'll do that today, or tomorrow.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Im going with the Asus laptop. For $200 more i can play all of my games with no problems, with the Toshiba its hit or miss if I can runs some games. Laptop is primarily for schoowork, recording/streaming xbox one/pc gameplay (need that i7 to be able to do that) and some gaming.

MrRockyboxer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015

Didn't like it after a few days, the Define R4 was IMO a lot better. Me and my friend were at the local store, and I saw a case I liked (I think haf 932?) and the store didn't have any on stock. They wanted to sell the display at full price, even thou it looks like everyone touched it. Then I saw the C70 box in the shelf, and decided on that. My friend told me not to rush it if there wasn't something I liked. I didn't listen, and got the C70 instead.

The front panel is held by using metal tabs, and that was a awful design. The clips came off after 2-3 days? Because some fans were loud, and I tried adding a NZXT fan controller. The side panels are a pain to back, and the NH D15 didn't fit that well, even thou the case said it did, and the cage and the HDD sleds weren't isolating the noise properly. All the time, I kept hearing vibrations. The looks after, started getting boring. IMO, the Phantom 240, and 410, and the enthoo luxe look a lot better.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

When is the Asus 120 hz QHD monitor coming out?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/?gclid=CjwKEAiAgfymBRCEhpTR8NXpx1USJAAV0dQy9WCGQ7dQhWcC58SnkcHZuJn_tBOBE6-jAQlARZwvLBoCbNHw_wcB/

Already Out for a while. Prices were stupid high, now still stupid high, with catsup on the side.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

lol dont know why I quoted you but thanks anyway. My god thats 1 expensive monitor too bad its a TN panel