The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 390 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Went back to the 300r. The Vulcan was just not cutting it.

I had to change the CPU cooler from the Ibuypower unit (which lived up to it's brand name and failed (pump)) with the CoolIT ECO II-120 (old style H60) I got for $17 some time back at microcenter. Sitting happily at 4.1ghz (had to back off from 4.5 because of using a much lower end board now) and never going above 52c.

I also threw in 2 SP120s I had (had 4 but 2 had failed bearings) just to see how long they last before the bearings on these go. One is already developing a small tick.

The VP-450 fan bearing also decided to go causing a very loud rumbling/grinding noise, so I soldered a new fan in place with the PSU still in the system. I guess I should have disconnected the motherboard, SSD/HDD, GPU power cables before I started working, but where is the fun in that. I now have a fan in there that is dead silent but moves the same or even more air. It is actually a Rosewill case fan I had lying around.

DSC_01421.jpg

IMG_14931.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
When I look at your fans I'm reminded how many times I'd dodged more than 3 bullets in a row - suggesting fans for my client compact splash builds.

Sorry to hear about your vulcan. Is it going into permanent retirement?

I suppose a new monitor is a possibility, but I've been able to do very little "serious" gaming lately; I've been quite busy getting in better shape with and for some outdoor activities now that Spring is here; I'm also doing some writing. On 04/26 I'm going to give a short class on basic solar power systems (not whole-house; hundreds of watts rather than kilowatts). This weekend I may actually have a little more free time, but some of it will be spent on a pack-hike.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I know I haven't had much quality time either which kind of sucks because I've been meaning to break in my GTX 970. Although Saturday I'm going to see Tenacious D so I won't have much time Friday or Sunday. :lol:

Which also explains why I haven't been here as much as I'd like to lately.

Definitely has poor cooling. The ENTIRE side panel is mesh, so it is basically impossible to get any circulation at all.

D

Deleted member 217926

I still have the 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 I bought in 2010 and there is very little difference in noticeable day to day use from that old Sandforce drive and my 500GB Samsung 840 Evo. Any SSD is better than no SSD. I use it now as a no lag drive for my 80+ GB of MP3s.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'm using a pny optima 120gb ssd on sata 2, and so is (sorry keep forgetting who) whoever is using the ga78-lmt-usb3. Boot times are defintley slower than intel sata3 systems I've used, and I get 238.9 read and 117.8 write... wow, never noticed how hard this bottlenekcs, should be around twice as fast, but WAY faster than a hard drive in real world usage. Still a noticeable difference in boot times between 2/3 for me (crucial mx500 sata 3 is 5-10 seconds faster than another 840 evo using sata 2, from what I've used)

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Compared to my friend with the same ssd on sata 3 (he has more stuff on his ssd and but is only under a month old), and while I wait for the windows logo to spin 3 times on windows 8 (I have more optimization, and less startup programs), while his just pops up and goes straight to the log-in

I have been using a SATA III drive(M4 128) on SATA II without issues.

As others say it still blows normal HDD's away. The big reason is the fast random access times more so than the overall top speed.

I am still running the same load of Windows from about 5 years(the SSD has about 2.5 years of 24/7 runtime on it) back(while "not recommended" I have cloned it from drive to drive).

That system has no SATA III ports :( . Not that it matters for that kind of system

But the other one does have SATA III and has M4's(the 256 version) as well. Can not complain they have been very solid so far. In my gaming system they get almost no use since it is on for mostly games and back off(vs the 24/7 of the other system). At this rate, the system will be obsolete before i even wear out the flash :)

M4 owners unite!

Lutfij

Titan
M4 owners unite!
:lol:

Well I might wear down my drive as its almost on for 12hrs in a day. Renders, here, mail and ofc other work related duties. Gaming on the side as well :p Critical data backed up so if it does fail I'll cry because of it being such a good buddy to me :'(

I think I'm going to buy an airless paint sprayer. All the painting contractors I've tried recently are either pokey, incompetent, or just not very reliable. I keep getting these little repair jobs where I'll have to paint but using a brush or roller on rough sawn cypress is practically useless. OR if I build a cabinet or shelving unit, touching every single surface once with primer and twice with paint using a brush TAKES FOREVER!!! It looks like I can spend $500 on a machine and make that money back after 2 of these small jobs. I just worry about durability and longevity of the machine.

A friend of mine is a painter. No, he's not near you, but he might be able to recommend a machine. His name is Richard Meier, and his number is [will PM]. If he wonders who you are, tell him a mutual friend, Joe, gave you his number.

I suspect I'll be doing a lot more testing, so I ordered a 12g tube of AS5 last night. That ought to last a while...