The 'Modbox' VR Trailer Reminds Me Of 'The Construct'

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I've seen quite a few tech demo's with the high degree of interactivity that we're seeing here (which is cool enough I can live with the terrible graphics), I'd like to see a developer like the Minecraft team (who proved that terrible graphics don't matter if the game is awesome) tease how they're going to add those interactive elements to their fully formed game. Seems like either we get a tech demonstrator like this one or a ported game... not someone fusing the two worlds.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
I've seen quite a few tech demo's with the high degree of interactivity that we're seeing here (which is cool enough I can live with the terrible graphics), I'd like to see a developer like the Minecraft team (who proved that terrible graphics don't matter if the game is awesome) tease how they're going to add those interactive elements to their fully formed game. Seems like either we get a tech demonstrator like this one or a ported game... not someone fusing the two worlds.

VR is very much in the teething stages. Developers are just trying things out do see what works.
We already know that added VR elements to already formed games doesn't work. Games for VR have to made from the ground up for VR of they tend to really cause motion sickness (VR sickness).

This type of sandbox where you spawn what you want can actually prove to be very compelling. Take a look at the success of Gary's Mod for example.
It lets the player create the game that they want to play. Like a kid with a room full of toys.

We'll see some very impressive things in the coming years, but we'll see a lot more experimentation before we see a fullscale game that incorporates all the interactive ideas that VR is breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.