The Most CONFUSING FPS Issue EVER (PUBG So far)

dj123_44

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
So,this is gonna be TOUGH to put into words how confusing this is, and how MUCH I have tried searching for a solution and instead finding really repetitive cookie cutter answers that don't apply to me at all, I am REALLY hoping someone can be my savior here. I would even HAPPILY donate some kind of money for it.

SO, recently I reinstalled a full FRESH Windows 10 due to blue screens and other driver conflicts and general bloating of my OS. I got a new DDR4 MOBO, and new RAM etc.

For reference it's a MSI Z170a Gaming M7 and the RAM is G SKill Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz RGB CL14. My GFX Card is a MSI Twin Frozr GTX 1070 Gaming Z 8GB

SO, this did not happen before a fresh windows install. This is a really new bug and me and my friends have been scratching our heads trying to justify it's logicality.

It's simple really after all that prefix. I used to be able to run PUBG in Borderless Windowed mode, or even Windowed mode, no problem, at my safe settings above 100FPS. No problem. No issue. No nothing. Full screen never differed much. I have my reasons for wanting to use windowed, so please don't ask "Why not use full screen, the GPU focuses it on Full screen" etc.

So, when I click ONTO the PUBG window In WINDOWED mode, the FPS drops to a SOLID 40FPS, flat, stable, no budging. And it's really jittery. My GPU Usage drops from 96 to 30 or so. When I click onto another window, Firefox, File Explorer whatever and it's my focus, my GPU Usage shoots back up to 96 and my FPS in the PUBG Lobby is up at 144 FPS.

SO. Why? Like, why when I focus it, does it plummet and stay at 40 precisely, when running as a BACKGROUND window, in WINDOWED mode, it sits comfortable at 144 FPS? Which mirrors what it sits at in FULL SCREEN???????

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!??

Wow...........So, solved this, I had my 55" TV Duplicated, with my Primary monitor, which I ALWAYS have, no problems. Once I Unlinked them, it's back to normal logicality. But I wonder why it doesn't like them being duplicated now?

Solution
Just for grins, why don't you try doing a FULL clean install, as outlined in my tutorial. Sometimes, even after a clean install of the OS, there can be installation issues that result in poor driver installation. Worth trying since there are no other obvious reasons why anything should be different.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Also, are you sure your new installation of Windows is activated? Did you check to see that it IS?

Were you running three monitors before? Are you running all three monitors while gaming? If so, and if you are only gaming on a single screen, might just want to keep one of them or both of them off, and only run the primary screen, while gaming...
Actually, cloned displays shouldn't present much additional overhead to the graphics card or CPU at all. There will be some, but it shouldn't do what you are seeing.

I'd go through your Nvidia console and also your PUBG game settings and make sure there is nothing that might be affecting resource allocation with a duplicate/clone display configuration. In reality, when the displays are extended is when there ought to be more load on the resources.

dj123_44

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017

Hey Man. yeah I have never had a problem with cloned displays at this level at all. It just does NOT like me cloning with my TV. They are both running off HDMI. I recently installed HOME but i used to use Windows 10 PRO. Not sure if the issue arose with Home.

dj123_44

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017

Yeah it's definitely a confusing one. My primary monitor and my TV are HDMI, my secondary monitor is HDMI to DVI Cable due to my GTX 970 only being able ot harbor that setup. But before a fresh WIndows install I was duplicted no sweat on my GTX 1070. Must be missing something. Some kind of setting, it's a puzzler.

Just for grins, why don't you try doing a FULL clean install, as outlined in my tutorial. Sometimes, even after a clean install of the OS, there can be installation issues that result in poor driver installation. Worth trying since there are no other obvious reasons why anything should be different.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Also, are you sure your new installation of Windows is activated? Did you check to see that it IS?

Were you running three monitors before? Are you running all three monitors while gaming? If so, and if you are only gaming on a single screen, might just want to keep one of them or both of them off, and only run the primary screen, while gaming. Certainly additional monitors don't add a LOT of extra overhead to the GPU if they are not being used actively as part of the game, but there is still SOME additional resource usage, so every little bit you can reduce will certainly help even in the best of conditions if you were not having this issue.

You may have reasons for those other screens for multitasking purposes, which I totally understand, so that's up to you, of course. I'd really try doing the clean install as outlined, using the DDU, making sure to remove all previous driver versions. You aren't running any of your displays of the iGPU if your CPU has integrated graphics, right? If you DO have integrated graphics, make sure they are disabled as well. Might also want to run GPU-Z and make sure nothing jumps out as abnormal there.

Out of curiosity, what is the model number of your power supply?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS