News The most-delayed video game ever is finally out — Kien releases after 22 years for Game Boy Advance

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I don't understand why they didn't just release it on phones. Was it that difficult to port? Even then, it seems like there should've been some porting tools & libraries, not to mention full-blown emulators, as phone got fast enough. Heck, GBA was even ARM-based, so any assembly language they wrote for it wouldn't have had to be rewritten.

Reactions: TechyIT223
Nov 14, 2023
I don't understand why they didn't just release it on phones. Was it that difficult to port? Even then, it seems like there should've been some porting tools & libraries, not to mention full-blown emulators, as phone got fast enough. Heck, GBA was even ARM-based, so any assembly language they wrote for it wouldn't have had to be rewritten.
By releasing it for the GBA, you can still play it on just about every platform in the world (including the web browser) via emulation. In addition, many of us have functional GBAs, DSLs, or Game Boy Macros that we can play the original title on. This really was the way to get to the widest audience in my opinion.

Reactions: slightnitpick

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
By releasing it for the GBA, you can still play it on just about every platform in the world (including the web browser) via emulation. In addition, many of us have functional GBAs, DSLs, or Game Boy Macros that we can play the original title on. This really was the way to get to the widest audience in my opinion.
I get that. What I don't get is why they had to sit on it for 22 years! During that time, the whole "gaming on phones" phenomenon blew up. So, why didn't they just port it to one of the popular phone platforms of the day, instead of just continuing to sit on it?