The most futureproof motherboard?

orwell

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Futureproofing is going to make or break whether I go with AMD or Intel.

Keeping sockets and chipsets in mind, what motherboard will be the most futureproof in the coming year or so.

Is there an AMD mobo out now that will handle a Barcelona (my guess is no)? Is there an Intel core2duo mobo that will (definatly) support Intel's new Quads?

Basically, if this summer I decide I want to replace my CPU, I want to be able to just swap CPU's if at all possible.

If not, thats fine too I guess.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
It doesn't really matter how long LGA 775 has been around because numerous people who have LGA 775 mobo's can't run C2D because the chipset either doesn't support it or there needed to be a slight update to the chipset to get the correct voltage for the cpu. While the upcoming penryn may run on LGA 775 don't expect very many if any current chipsets to be able to run it.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
most of the nvidia chipsets will though, conroes have ran on asus' nforce 4 chipset anyway

it is wrong buddy. i have asus p5nd2 sli deluxe edition . it is featured with nforce 4 chipset but it does not support c2d. Sorry but it is the fact.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
most of the nvidia chipsets will though, conroes have ran on asus' nforce 4 chipset anyway

it is wrong buddy. i have asus p5nd2 sli deluxe edition . it is featured with nforce 4 chipset but it does not support c2d. Sorry but it is the fact.

if you can read , read it below buddy before you reply to me.

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=558&l1=3&l2=11&l3=227

You tell me if you can run conroe on this motherboard with nforce 4 chipset. The point is not all motherboard with nforce 4 chipset can support conroe.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Clarification

C2D can run on P5N32-SLI SE but you need to first upgrade the BIOS. Any other nforce 4 motherboard WONT run C2D.

So you both were somehow correct... in some way

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Clarification

C2D can run on P5N32-SLI SE but you need to first upgrade the BIOS. Any other nforce 4 motherboard WONT run C2D.

i know i am right. i know what i am talking about. That guy said "conroes have ran on asus' nforce 4 chipset anyway". That is just wrong and i try to correct it. That is all. Nothing personal.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I never said they run on all nforce4 boards though now did I? All I stated was with a bios update it was possible to run conroes on an nforce4 based mobo, I never said they all work. But the thing is, if the different brands simply created newer bioses for their nforce4 boards designed for conroe, you could run conroes on those too. It's all about the bios for the most part (amd's don't require new chipsets anyway, for the most part, as long as the pins match and the bios is fairly new, you can pop in any amd cpu into any amd cpu board, but I do recall one board having issues with the x2's)

well.. i am telling you buddy the board i mention you in my post will not support conroe even with the latest bios.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Clarification

i know i am right. i know what i am talking about. That guy said "conroes have ran on asus' nforce 4 chipset anyway". That is just wrong and i try to correct it. That is all. Nothing personal.

But he never said "all"

w/e now we all know what each meant and knows, closed topic.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
that's because they never wrote a bios for conroe. It's THAT SIMPLE. Asus wanted to keep an old board and revamp it, so they designed a specific bios for conroe, while other companies as I said, have not as they didn't need/want to. End of story, I had already stated from the start that not all would work, just ones that were designed to work with conroe.

Well.... there is a lot more than simply writing bios for conroe. Believe it or not. you will learn it one day on your own.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
that's because they never wrote a bios for conroe. It's THAT SIMPLE. Asus wanted to keep an old board and revamp it, so they designed a specific bios for conroe, while other companies as I said, have not as they didn't need/want to. End of story, I had already stated from the start that not all would work, just ones that were designed to work with conroe.

Well.... there is a lot more than simply writing bios for conroe. Believe it or not. you will learn it one day on your own.

HAHAHAHA, yea tacos, ol "buddy," he showed you! They totally have slightly different requirements for V-core buddy. Also, they have to be dipped in gold and blessed by a Rabbi. Then they're conroe ready, buddy.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I know, I know, just giving you a hard time because htoon's post was so funny.

Seriously, Penryn should be able to use ANY Conroe board, vcore required will be lower due to 45nm, but I'm guessing they're going to up the clock speeds on them, so the actual requirement won't change much. As far as a "future-proof" chipset, 965 and the 600 series N-forces should be relevant and capable for at least another year or two.

As far as AMD goes, I was under the impression that socket F was primarily going to be more of a server type socket, with AM2+ being the mainstream desktop type, am I wrong? Anywho, I'd rec. the AM2+ if you want to go AMD.

You know what socket I miss? Slot A. Those P-2's were tough-looking.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Im starting to get loose with all this pin numbers and sockets... well I will have to wait and see if someday I learn them all together.
I really like that codename Akuma, remembers me to the guy from street fighter 8)

At first, I thought that Penryn was a desktop processor :S but I just read wiki and it is gonna be the Laptop version of 45nm.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Now Im really confused. I really thought at first Penryn was the desktop version of 45nm (And Im almost still sure I am right). Is just that wikipedia looks like some idiot started to write all that crap that made me confuse.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
huh?
I never heard Penryn was gonna be the desktop version of 45nm =S

I really thought at first Penryn was the desktop version of 45nm
I'm confused

OMG! I was leaving to eat outside when I wrote that so I was in a hurry so I didnt even read what I wrote!

Sorry taco, what I meant was, I never heard that Penryn was gonna be a server processor. I always heard it was gonna be the desktop processor of 45nm.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well not really hehe, was just in pressure xD

I dont see nothing wrong with it hehe so ill just leave it there imtoolazytoevenpressthespacebar

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Futureproofing is going to make or break whether I go with AMD or Intel.

Keeping sockets and chipsets in mind, what motherboard will be the most futureproof in the coming year or so.

Is there an AMD mobo out now that will handle a Barcelona (my guess is no)? Is there an Intel core2duo mobo that will (definatly) support Intel's new Quads?

Basically, if this summer I decide I want to replace my CPU, I want to be able to just swap CPU's if at all possible.

If not, thats fine too I guess.

Well, yes, LGA775 has been around a long time, but there's no guarantee that just because a processor comes out in a certain socket then it will be supported by existing mobos.

AMD has somewhat undermined confidence by changing sockets more than they change underpants, but from what I understand, they actually offer a better upgrading path than Intel at the moment.

The reason for this is that thee's no guarantee that Intel will support future Penryn-era CPUs on current Intel mobos, whereas AMD has come out in saying that current AM2 mobos will support Barcelona-era (Agena on AM2; Barcelona is socket F) CPUs with disabled power features.

Mind you, all that is quad-core, and there's very little point going quad except for the whole e-penis bragging rights. I'm sure BaronMatrix will be here soon enough to point out that an X2 3800 wiill do all you need, and he's right...