The Most-Influential Tech Products of the 2010s

How does the Tesla Model S or Model 3 not make this list? They showed that not only are long range electric cars are viable for mass production. Also that they are safe, long lasting, fast and consumers are willing to pay for them. As they butchered luxury car sales. Now most of the major car manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon. This is also pushing the rush to electrify bikes, motorcycles and dirt bikes.

Speaking of which. Electric scooters have also had a major impact on the world far beyond many of the items in this list. Also fueling the rush for more electric products.

AI is making advancements in scientific research, productivity, transport and advertising. Although I can't name off hand a single most influential advancement for AI this decade.

CRISPR is revolutionizing medical research.

The Falcon 9 put the viability of commercial space travel front and center when it landed. By illustrating that costs can be greatly reduced.

Some solar/battery product should also be on the list. As there is big shift occurring in energy production and storage. I'd say Molten Salt Reactor or WAMSR. But those are mostly on the drawing board. They'll probably have a big influence over the 2020's or 2030's.

While many of the items in the list are cool. The list seems mostly geek/gamer centric. Not tech products that have had the greatest influence over the 2010s. The iPad, SSD, GPU, multi-core CPU and Macbook definitely belong there. Although I'd say something like the Samsung Galaxy outshines the iPhone 4 for influence. As it showed people wanted big phones not tiny screens. Undoubtedly the iPhone has been a big influence. iOS itself is the big influencer not the phone.

Reactions: g-unit1111
How does the Tesla Model S or Model 3 not make this list? They showed that not only are long range electric cars are viable for mass production. Also that they are safe, long lasting, fast and consumers are willing to pay for them. As they butchered luxury car sales. Now most of the major car manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon. This is also pushing the rush to electrify bikes, motorcycles and dirt bikes.

Speaking of which. Electric scooters have also had a major impact on the world far beyond many of the items in this list. Also fueling the rush for more electric products.

AI is making advancements in scientific research, productivity, transport and advertising. Although I can't name off hand a single most influential advancement for AI this decade.

The Falcon 9 put the viability of commercial space travel front and center when it landed. By illustrating that costs can be greatly reduced.

Some solar/battery product should also be on the list. As there is big shift occurring in energy production and storage. I'd say Molten Salt Reactor or WAMSR. But those are mostly on the drawing board. They'll probably have a big influence over the 2020's or 2030's.

While many of the items in the list are cool. The list seems mostly geek/gamer centric. Not tech products that have had the greatest influence over the 2010s. The iPad, SSD, GPU, multi-core CPU and Macbook definitely belong there. Although I'd say something like the Samsung Galaxy outshines the iPhone 4 for influence. As it showed people wanted big phones not tiny screens. Undoubtedly the iPhone has been a big influence. iOS itself is the big influencer not the phone.

The list should have been most influential computer tech TBH, not just tech. TH is a computer enthusiast site after all and not an overall tech site. Thats why the majority of reviews and stories focus on PC technology and news and not all tech. Thats more Toms Guide.

I want to like Tesla and I appreciate all of the new tech Elon Musk has brought to the world.

But naming your automatic driving system autopilot, but then saying you must be attentive at all times sends mixed messages.

The literal definition of autopilot is "a device that steers a ship, plane, or spacecraft by itself, without a person."

That's like;

Naming your Not A FlameThrower, Not Not A FlameThrower
Announcing the Invincible Ford Fiesta
A 24 karat gold butcher knife (to be fair if you had one you could probably afford another)

But I believe I have a solution for Autopilot!

Give current Level 2 Autopilot the voice of Charlie Sheen!

That way people are aware of the quirks of a Level 2 autonomous car. (Sorry Charlie)

When Autopilot improves to a Level 3 autonomous car they can switch the car voice to Jason Statham. Slight risk to safety

When Autopilot improves to a Level 4 autonomous car they can switch the car voice to Patrick Stewart. Mostly safe

When Autopilot is at a Level 5 autonomous car they can switch to the only voice that makes sense for achieving God Level Driving ... Morgan Freeman.

Last edited:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Err...... you sure you are in the right website???

Tomshardware is a computer related website. So, whats litsted here obviously is about computers and related stuff. Its not about cars, or medical or rockets.......

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
IMO Gsync and Freesync are theft. Cards manufacturer put them in monitor instead on the GPU just to take more money from us.

They can easily make it on card and the output to monitor just like a stream , full screen frame by frame.

did you ever watch a TV 4K movie that stutters ?

they can make it the same way.

Co BIY

Splendid
I don't think USB C rates the list. It has still not made it's impact.

I think something like the Roku 2 (2011) as a representative product for the rise of streaming and the fall of "broadcasting" might be worthy of the list or

Netfix Streaming (2011) for the same reason but without as good a product picture.

I know, not as computer focused as a Toms article needs to be - I found it hard to choose a product that best illustrates the rise of the foundries and fab consolidation.

Maybe a supercomputer GPU card that shows how how Super Computing is moving past the CPU.

g-unit1111

Titan

Well if you really want to go back to where it started, the Tesla Roadster was the first electric car that showed that it really could be done.

And yeah as annoying as Bird Scooters are, they definitely are changing the future of transportation as we know it, and they can be accessed via an app on your phone.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IMO Gsync and Freesync are theft. Cards manufacturer put them in monitor instead on the GPU just to take more money from us.

They can easily make it on card and the output to monitor just like a stream , full screen frame by frame.

Movies are recorded video with a soundtrack, games are drawn in real time.

Well if you really want to go back to where it started, the Tesla Roadster was the first electric car that showed that it really could be done.

And yeah as annoying as Bird Scooters are, they definitely are changing the future of transportation as we know it, and they can be accessed via an app on your phone.

I thought about the Roadster. But very few units were produced. As far as influence goes I'd say it goes with the Model S or Model 3 as that's what finally caught the attention of global automakers. If it just stopped with the Roadster. The upcoming electric car options would probably still be only those tiny cars with a 40 to 80 mile range.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Movies are recorded video with a soundtrack, games are drawn in real time.

Exactly ! and Their real time drawing is BROKEN by design! it is not the monitor problem it is their problem.

They can be drawn in real time on the card then streamed. not big deal. Why put it in monitors instead of the card itself and make us pay 100% more for Gsync monitors? the answer is : MONEY , let them pay for our mistakes too.

Besides this is a design flaw . they are not competent in this Area and to fix their design flaw they try to take the other route fix the broken by glueing it . in normal situation , their product should be rejected and never sold! a stuttering product? "Rejected" !!!, in construction , no one accepts a glued broken seat and will be stamped "Rejected".

this is not good , and I think that they know that and they know that this will cost them alot to change how it works from scratch . and that they chosen to fix the broken instead of giving us not broken product.

from day one of stutters I said "what is wrong with them ? cant they make the whole design better from scratch ?

They are using old tech and are stuck with it , and they never cared to research a new method. in the past games never stattered but when it came very 3D intensive in real time as you said they did not bother to research new card design they are stuck in old standard ways. and trying to fix it by glueing it , not by new concept.

And it has been long time more than 20 years already , and they are lazy just like intel was lazy not giving us more cores .. why lazy ? because people are buying. People should say to them: research new ways and stop selling us broken stuttering products !!!

Last edited:

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017

Ah yes, the environmentally friendly Tesla. Built on billions of dollars in Tax Payer subsidies, allows for less reliance on fossil fuels by using lithium that is mined in africa, and asia by slave labor, and ruining millions of acres of habitats and causing irreversible environmental damage. Not to mention the billions of tons of lithium cells that will sit in landfills in the next 20 years because lawsuits against 3rd parties that attempt to refurbish the batteries. Don't bother with a rebuttal that we have recycling programs in the US, because once the cost outweigh the benefits, the US and Canada are more than willing to ship their waste off to Southeast Asia for "recycling."

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
To think of it, ten years ago I had an AMD Turion 64 X2 laptop running Vista (boy I still remember first time I saw Vista, I was like "the future is now"). with a single core Intel netbook to accompany it, along with the venerable Nokia E71 (switched from the E90). 4G was still nothing but jargons and all. PS2 was my go-to entertainment machine, played on a CRT tube once in a while.

It's insane to think how much has changed.

But I still drive the same car though, granted it's not about tech, but still.

g-unit1111

Titan
I thought about the Roadster. But very few units were produced. As far as influence goes I'd say it goes with the Model S or Model 3 as that's what finally caught the attention of global automakers. If it just stopped with the Roadster. The upcoming electric car options would probably still be only those tiny cars with a 40 to 80 mile range.

Yeah the thing is though, we wouldn't have the Model S and the Model 3 without the Roadster, and we wouldn't have a lot of the current EV tech without it. I'm really interested to see what EVs are capable of. I'm about due for a new car next year and I really want to get an EV. The Ford Mustang Mach E is looking like a winner in that department. I wouldn't mind a Model 3 either if I could afford one.

g-unit1111

Titan
Err...... you sure you are in the right website???

Tomshardware is a computer related website. So, whats litsted here obviously is about computers and related stuff. Its not about cars, or medical or rockets.......

If they're counting the Nintendo Switch as tech, then they can certainly count car tech. There's some pretty impressive car tech out there right now and it's not just limited to EVs (check out Mercedes, Subaru, Hyundai, and Honda among others). I would think we could incorporate Apple Carplay and Android Auto into the mix as being some of the most innovative tech products of the decade.

Reactions: velocityg4

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
I want to like Tesla and I appreciate all of the new tech Elon Musk has brought to the world.

But naming your automatic driving system autopilot, but then saying you must be attentive at all times sends mixed messages.

The literal definition of autopilot is "a device that steers a ship, plane, or spacecraft by itself, without a person."

Autopilot is the correct term. By your quoted definition it is the correct term, it self steers.

Its the same as an airplane, with its autopilot. An airplanes autopilot requires an attentive pilot. The same with a ship, its autopilot requires an attentive helms person.

A plane can 'lane keep' with auto pilot, and 'park'(land/takeoff, sometimes) with auto pilot, but it is not self-flying, it cant handle many situations.

A ship can 'lane keep' with auto pilot, but cant handle many situations.

A tesla can 'lane keep' with auto pilot, and park with auto park(sometimes), but its not self-driving, it cant handle many situations.

The biggest difference between a plane/boat and a car is there is a lot less to hit. The lanes are virtual, they don't twist and turn all over the place, and there are multiple orders of magnitude less vehicles to hit in a boat/plane.

Tesla's auto pilot is far more advanced then a plane/boat. But its no where near self driving. If they called it self driving, i would have a big problem with it, because its not(in its current form, maybe someday).

I have no personal experience with tesla auto pilot. But me personally i either want full self driving, so i can go to sleep in a car and wake up somewhere else with no human intervention, or i don't want it at all. Auto pilot has no value to me, if i have to watch over it, id rather just drive.

Autopilot is the correct term. By your quoted definition it is the correct term, it self steers.

Its the same as an airplane, with its autopilot. An airplanes autopilot requires an attentive pilot. The same with a ship, its autopilot requires an attentive helms person.

A plane can 'lane keep' with auto pilot, and 'park'(land/takeoff, sometimes) with auto pilot, but it is not self-flying, it cant handle many situations.

A ship can 'lane keep' with auto pilot, but cant handle many situations.

A tesla can 'lane keep' with auto pilot, and park with auto park(sometimes), but its not self-driving, it cant handle many situations.

The biggest difference between a plane/boat and a car is there is a lot less to hit. The lanes are virtual, they don't twist and turn all over the place, and there are multiple orders of magnitude less vehicles to hit in a boat/plane.

Tesla's auto pilot is far more advanced then a plane/boat. But its no where near self driving. If they called it self driving, i would have a big problem with it, because its not(in its current form, maybe someday).

I have no personal experience with Tesla auto pilot. But me personally i either want full self driving, so i can go to sleep in a car and wake up somewhere else with no human intervention, or i don't want it at all. Auto pilot has no value to me, if i have to watch over it, id rather just drive.

I am highly curious to find out if Tesla's autopilot is more advanced than a 747's navigational computer.
By advanced I'm thinking of processing power, not when it was released/lithography process .
The Tesla's path may have more obstacles, but the 747 is much larger with more sensors to monitor and numerous backup systems as well as having six degrees of freedom to account for.

My googlefu was able to find that the Tesla navigational computer has about 8 teraflops of performance.
https://www.inverse.com/article/476...ed-a-i-chip-that-will-power-full-self-driving

As for a 747's navigational computer I can't seem to locate a teraflop figure.
I also looked for an Airbus A380 which I assume would be similar.

As for what is the definition of Autopilot, most say it is without a person/human involvement.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/what-does-on-autopilot-mean
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/autopilot
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/autopilot

1. by itself, without a person
  2. without human involvement
  3. without assistance from a human being
  4. without constant manual control by a human operator being required
  5. If the captain of a ship is using autopilot, she can take a break from manning the controls herself
None if this applies to Tesla's Autopilot.

It wasn't till the 19th google result that I find one that vaguely matched your definition.
http://dictionary.kids.net.au/word/autopilot
"a navigational device that automatically keeps ships or planes or spacecraft on a steady course"

PS: Boat lanes do actually exist. Like actual physical buoys marking off the lanes. lol

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019

Just wanted to say, you have no idea what Gsync and Freesync do if you compare it to a movie.

Movies are purposefully built to stay at a constant FPS, usually around the 25, 30 or 60 mark. There's no need for varying refresh rates, because the motion is never varying.

What GSync/Freesync (Which by the way, VESA Adaptive sync is free to use, and so is AMD freesync. GSync from NVidia required a separate processor in the monitor, hence the extra cost) do, is allow the monitor to vary it's refresh rate, because games are drawn in real-time, so the framerate varies constantly. You only get tearing in video games when the framerate is either too high for the display, or when the frame times vary too much. That's what those technologies do.

And might I add, your "easy suggestion" is basically what the card does. It's up to the monitor to inteprate the signal given to it. A GPU's job is to render the image, and give the image data to the monitor, the monitor's job is to actually draw the image. The monitor is fully capable of receiving more frames than it's refresh rate, it's just the refresh rate dictates when the image is actually shown. Tearing occurs when refresh happens, while the monitor was halfway drawing the next image. You gotta remember, all monitors draw the image pixel by pixel, it's just so incredibly fast, that you need a super high speed camera to detect that.

So do you now understand why your post makes no sense?

Aug 29, 2019
I don't think USB C rates the list. It has still not made it's impact.

I think USB C is great - it will be the standard for a long time. The biggest difference can be seen lately, I was search data on my usb drives for something. I gone though a lot of different drives and what a pain it is with all those confusing drives - some of which do not work. USB 1, 2, 3 and micro and mini connectors.

USB C works with TB3 which is even better. 2020's will have USB4 and it be good to get rid of old technology.

I think computer technology has stalled especially in later years of 2010's instead of improving on internals - computers have instead add more cores and memory. Software developers have gotten lazy with technology. Hopefully 2020's will see more technology in CPU as we did in GPU.

Last edited: