The Most Innovative Mobile Products at MWC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Given the limitations of optics in any smart phone, anything above 5mp is a gimmick, heck asides from the flash, I can really tell the difference between the 5mp camera on my galaxy s and the 8mp camera on my s2.
My old (4+ years now) canon 7.2mp camera with with a quality 5x optical canon lens is still the best photo taker of the bunch, optics rule the world of picture taking, no mp ratings.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Wow, less than a second from standby to taking a pic. Looks like we have contenders for the SmokedByWindowsPhone campaign (although they still need to upload fb. Still, that's a lot of power there!

G

@tomshardware: Seriously, don't you think the new Nokia Pure View is not innovative enough ??

@vilenjan: 100 percent true. But the reason this phone has a 41 Mpx camera is not to take giant pictures. What it does is pixel oversampling. Its output isy 5 or 8 MPx at default. But it achieves this picture size by combining pixels instead of selecting specific pixels and then interweaving the rest of the data. This gives it exceptional clarity and low light performance. IMO, this is the future of all cameras, even SLRs. Its great to see such tech in a phone first and not in a dedicated camera. See this: http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Products/Phones/8000-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf

@mcd023: A Nokia 808 already smoked a Windows Phone: http://mynokiablog.com/2012/02/28/nokia-808-smokes-windows-phone/

(PS: I might sound like a Nokia employee in this post, I am NOT. I am just a technology fan and I love new innovative stuff, be it from any company, and I think Nokia have done a stellar job here with this phone and it deserves mention at the top of any such list.)

shreeharsha

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]jalsa777[/nom]@tomshardware: Seriously, don't you think the new Nokia Pure View is not innovative enough ??@vilenjan: 100 percent true. But the reason this phone has a 41 Mpx camera is not to take giant pictures. What it does is pixel oversampling. Its output isy 5 or 8 MPx at default. But it achieves this picture size by combining pixels instead of selecting specific pixels and then interweaving the rest of the data. This gives it exceptional clarity and low light performance. IMO, this is the future of all cameras, even SLRs. Its great to see such tech in a phone first and not in a dedicated camera. See this: http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_ME [...] epaper.pdf@mcd023: A Nokia 808 already smoked a Windows Phone: http://mynokiablog.com/2012/02/28/ [...] ows-phone/(PS: I might sound like a Nokia employee in this post, I am NOT. I am just a technology fan and I love new innovative stuff, be it from any company, and I think Nokia have done a stellar job here with this phone and it deserves mention at the top of any such list.)[/citation]

They must be innovative, else they will die...

shatbriks

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
How are any of these "innovative" in any way, except for maybe the projector phone, which is also an old idea. All thatäs going on for almost all of these are "MAKE THEM BIGGER AND FASTER!!"

Also no mention of PV808? why?

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
@vilenjan:
The whole point of the Nokia 808 Pureview is that optics is king. The reason there is a 41MP lens on the device is so that you dont ever need to use a zoom lens, be it optical or the horrifically bad digital.
With a 38MP picture taken by the lens, your able to essentially zoom into the picture and crop it to size and get the same/better quality picture a DSLR with an 8x optical zoom!

This device removes the optical limitations of a conventional camera phone lens by replacing it with a lens that is designed for so much more.

I appreciate personal views, but please back them up with facts.

G

The Panasonic is great, gonna use it to replace my Dell Streak if they sell it for a reasonable price

I think we've completely changed the real meaning behind the term "innovation". It really means

- a new way of doing something, not previously known.
- act/process of inventing something new.

None of these phones are that. They're just all regular new Android models that bring a different spec sheet combination. Projector? Been there. Waterproof? Been there in Japanese markets for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.