[SOLVED] The most persistent problem that has been plaguing my PC for a year

Feb 9, 2021
Hello!
Here are the current problems my computer is having:
  1. Rainbow Six Siege keeps crashing randomly when being in a match. Sometimes it works for hours, other times it crashes after one round.
  2. Forza Horizon 4 keeps crashing randomly. Similar to Siege.
  3. Battlefield 4, although works better than the two above, still crashes sometimes, just less often.
  4. Firefox keeps crashing too! Sometimes it works without an issue for a whole day. While other times it crashes every time I try to load any tab.
  5. Other games that crash every once in a while: Titanfall 2, Black ops 3, Dying Light.
  6. Doom Eternal refuses to work at all.
  7. Oculus Rift setup doesn't let me finish installing, no matter what I do.
These issues have been persistent for about a year now.

Here are my current PC specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16GB DDR4 3000MHrz RAM
Asus B450 Motherboard
GTX 1080Ti GPU
Windows is installed on a 232GB M.2 SSD
I also have two 2TB HDD's and a 500GB SATA SSD
The whole system is powered by a 550W power supply.

Here are the things I've tried:
  1. For each of those programs I've done every single troubleshooting step that I've found posted on the internet.
  2. I have redownloaded and reinstalled each of those games and apps. Problems stayed.
  3. I have reinstalled and also fresh installed windows several times through out the lifetime of this PC. (Today was the last time I did it)
  4. The first part I've changed was the GPU. The issues did not go away.
  5. Then I changed the motherboard. Problems stayed.
  6. I changed the power supply. Problems stayed.
  7. Changed the M.2 SSD. Problems stayed.
  8. Removed my oldest HDD (Replaced it with a new one that has 2TB). Problems stayed.
  9. Tried running just with the M.2 SSD (without HDD's and SATA SDD). Problems stayed.

I have not changed the CPU or the RAM. Both of those things are running fine under full load. the CPU temperature doesn't go above 65 degrees.
Could the issue come from CPU, RAM or the case of the computer? If so, how could I test it?

At this point I feel like if I were to build a new PC, the same issues would persist.
What should I do?

Solution
Memtest will handle your RAM diagnostics, so go ahead and give that a try for now. Let it run for more than one pass.

Just checking, you say you replaced the power supply, what was the old unit and whats the new unit, specifically?
Memtest will handle your RAM diagnostics, so go ahead and give that a try for now. Let it run for more than one pass.

Just checking, you say you replaced the power supply, what was the old unit and whats the new unit, specifically?

Solution
Feb 9, 2021
Memtest gives an error. Could this all be because of my memory? Damn. I do have some extra ddr4 modules in another system. Should I swap them out and see if the issue persists?
I have not overclocked my memory. Haven't really done anything to it.
If the issue is in the RAM, do I need to reinstall windows (after I fix or change the ram) to fix my issues, or will the issues just go away?

Feb 9, 2021
Memtest ran a few times and it did throw quite a few errors.
Funny thing. I'm trying to get into my BIOS and for some reason it goes straight into windows every time. without giving me the screen where it says what buttons to mash to enter bios. Even if I try to go through windows advanced start up.
I have not chosen the quick start up option. Or so I remember...

If it threw a number of errors its probably safe to assume your RAM has been the issue.
I would try to swap out the kits with the ones you have on hand, and if thats the issue either RMA the sticks (assuming they are under warranty) or buy a new kit.

My PC wont tell me what buttons to hit either, starts up to fast. You can google what key you should used based on the motherboard, or just smack the typical ones.

Feb 9, 2021
I mean yes of course, smack the typical ones. DEL is the one on this board but it always launched straight into windows. Didn't let me into bios even while hitting the button. Solved it by pulling out my windows drive for a moment and then launching the machine. Anyways, after resetting the bios settings, the memtest errors persist. Im gonna go swap the modules and then come back here.

Reactions: Gam3r01
Feb 9, 2021
Memtest is running at the moment with the new ram without any errors. It really does seem like the memory was the issue. I'm not yet 100% sure. I'll run a few more tests (try the games that didn't wanna function etc.) and I'll update this thread tomorrow.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What psu? A 1080ti on a 550w is stretching it a little thin. Hopefully the entire issue is just in the ram, but with the gpu demands in the more intense games, you might have more than one issue that have similar results but are not related.

Without gpu, you are pulling 120-150w on the pc, and a 1080ti FE can pull 250w with spikes to 300w, aftermarket OC cards being 50w ish higher. So I'd fully expect Rainbow 6 games to be pulling around 400-450w range.

With a good 550w, that's no worries, but there's more than a few 550w psus that are not good at all and quite a few that are bald-faced lies, only being 350-450w in reality. Big difference with 550w Continuous and 550w peak with 350w continuous.

Which can present issues with overheating or lack of power or overheating causing lowered power outputs.

Feb 9, 2021
It's a Corsair CV550. I know I'm stretching it quite a bit. I've been planning to upgrade for some time. That said, I do not think this is causing issues as I've had the same issues with less power hungry gpu's (1060 3GB and RX 5700).

Feb 9, 2021
Another discovery: The 16GB of ram that I had were a 2x8 kit. I tested them separately with memtest and found out that only one of them is faulty. Is it safe to use the working one? Also, If it is safe, is there any advantage from using a 2x8 kit and also this working 8GB compared to just a 2x8 kit? As in, having three 8GB modules.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's perfectly fine to just run a single stick, why wouldn't it be as safe? Lol.

Yes and no. You'll be running in flex mode. That's where the cpu memory controller will use up the 16Gb of dual channel memory first. Only when that's saturated will it start using the last 8Gb of single channel.

So for the most part, since gaming doesn't really take you over 16Gb anyways, you'll see no advantage there, you'll still be using the same 16Gb dual channel you always did. It's only in uber big memory needs over 16Gb you'll see that 24Gb advantage, but will suffer a slight squeeze on the bandwidth being single channel.

Disadvantage being you assume the kits are compatible.

Feb 9, 2021
Alright, so far, so good. Everything seems to be working. Too bad I didn't think RAM could be a problem. It is quite a new set. But ehh, at last I am free from the random crashes. Thank you everyone. (I am new here so is there something I need to do to close the question or?)

Alright, so far, so good. Everything seems to be working. Too bad I didn't think RAM could be a problem. It is quite a new set. But ehh, at last I am free from the random crashes. Thank you everyone. (I am new here so is there something I need to do to close the question or?)
There is a trophy on the left side of each posts, if you click that it marks a so called "best answer", so others can see what it was that fixed your problem at the top of the page.