The most tricky freeze I have ever faced

klaus2

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
It's a Win10 machine on a GIGABYTE MB, Samsung EVO SSD, no graphic card, one small WIFI board only, and a be quiet! - silent PSU. Bios is updated to the last version.

With no reason, windows freezes. Gui gradually stops responding, like no access to disk, or like when waiting for some system driver to respond, them all freezes down. Never crashes, stays like this forever.

Nothing gets logged, event views is clean.(only log is 'system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first').

It seems the freezes get more frequent when I have my backup sata disk in place, and/or usb pens mounted, but it happens without them also. Also, after the hard reset, sometimes I have to wait a minute or two to be able to turn pc on again?! Seems that after this hard reset it behaves better?!

Now, on this machine of mine, I have a triple boot with Ubuntu and OSx El Capitan. I use both of them regularly. Never had any freeze what-so-ever like the ones I have on Win10.

I am absolutely clueless on what to look for.

Thanks for any advice on where to look for the fault.

Solution
You could try running free version of memtest86 on the ram. One stick at a time, it creates a bootable USB so no OS required. Any errors shows stick needs replacing.

Try running AS SSD on the Evo and see what scores you get

No events showing before the event 41 that might show a clue as to what its waiting on? Before start up obviously

what WiFi device is it? have you tried removing it to see if crashes still occur.

It sounds like some device stops responding but working out what is the fun part.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try running free version of memtest86 on the ram. One stick at a time, it creates a bootable USB so no OS required. Any errors shows stick needs replacing.

Try running AS SSD on the Evo and see what scores you get

No events showing before the event 41 that might show a clue as to what its waiting on? Before start up obviously

what WiFi device is it? have you tried removing it to see if crashes still occur.

It sounds like some device stops responding but working out what is the fun part.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS