The MOTHER of ALL X800 vs GF6800 reviews !!!

The QUINTESSENTIAL/DEFINITIVE/BE_ALL_END_ALL review to set the standard for all others.

<A HREF="http://bbspot.com/News/2004/05/radeon_x800_vs_geforce_6800.html" target="_new">http://bbspot.com/News/2004/05/radeon_x800_vs_geforce_6800.html</A>

I wonder if ATI will put that award on their Retail Boxes? :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

dhlucke

Polypheme
lol

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Funny, indeed :lol: and not that far from the truth!

More funny (yet interesting) stuff here:

<A HREF="http://www.firingsquad.com/features/nv40-r420faceoff/" target="_new">http://www.firingsquad.com/features/nv40-r420faceoff/</A>

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 05/07/04 02:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
heheh, nice one Slava, that point-counterpoint looks like it could have been pulled directly from these boards.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
:lol:

But seriously, if (for a minute) we ignore the minor performance advantages of X800 (because there is a good chance that once the 6800 is polished these advantages may be no more) and consider all the extra features of 6800 that X800 does not have it does seem to me that the "Ferrari" analogy is appropriate. I will, of course, wait another month or two till nVIDIA/ATI partners come up with their interpretations and THG posts a 30 card shootout, but I suspect that I will be going with nVIDIA. The 6800 series is just way too cool to go with X800.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 05/07/04 03:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
I don't think there's a good chance of the 6800 beating the X800 long-term. Even in PS 2.0 the X800 PRO is kicking the 6800 in shader ops... my guess is that the 6800 has nice features, yes, but is a little too ahead of it's time for those features to run with any decent speed. Like the first Geforce3's and pixel shaders.

But time will tell, either way the 6800 is a good card, like I said before, I don't think anyone is going to lament their purchase of either card in 6 months.

cleeve

Illustrious
I dunno if it's alwys been that way, wusy.

Ati had the features crown from the introduction of the 9700 until the 6800, IMHO.

But then what about the 32-bit vs. 24.bit presision they've alway argued about?
That's not a feature if the card itself can't support it sufficiently, and the software doesn't call for it.

Considering there was no IQ advanatages the strength of the features is a moot point. For the GF5800, perhaps it had some benifits over the R9700, but by the time the R9800 appear all of those features were proved to be of no use. Even UltraShadow was matched in the new architecture.

Also if you think of the R9700 and the GF4ti as being closer in timing then it could be said that the opposite was true.

Personally advanaced features are great, heck the Parhelia had them in spades, but if they don't equate to sales or immmediate benifit to the gamer, then does it really matter how advanced they are?

Personally I'm hoping the X880 has a few more little tweak in it (as it IS a different core) the way that the R9800 added some features that were lacking in the R9700. Or even a better performing NV45 might be nice.

We shall see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: