The motherboard M.2 slot error

Mar 15, 2018
I got this compatibility check: The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled. I don't really know what it means and I want it explained here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NrsgLJ
Could someone please explain what this means?

Solution
It means when you plug in your M.2 drive, one of your SATA ports is disabled because the M.2 drive is SATA based so it shares the SATA port bandwidth. As long as you don't have the HDD using the SATA port that is disabled then you are fine.

There is actually not much point in getting a SATA based M.2 drive as they are essentially the same speed as regular SSD drives. I recommend either a PCIe based SSD like the Samsung 960 EVO. Or just get a regular cheaper SATA SSD such as the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB.

jr9

Estimable
It means when you plug in your M.2 drive, one of your SATA ports is disabled because the M.2 drive is SATA based so it shares the SATA port bandwidth. As long as you don't have the HDD using the SATA port that is disabled then you are fine.

There is actually not much point in getting a SATA based M.2 drive as they are essentially the same speed as regular SSD drives. I recommend either a PCIe based SSD like the Samsung 960 EVO. Or just get a regular cheaper SATA SSD such as the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB.

Solution
Mar 15, 2018

Ok, thanks!!