THe mysteries of 3dmark2001 benchmarks

jlpicard1412

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
Curiosity really.. but I have a 64Mb nVidia Geforce 2 MX400 graphics card... probably boring by some peoples' standards!!!!.. but it's all I've got and other obligations prevent me from upgrading to GF3 or GF4 ( ahha.. in my dreams....!!)... to tell the truth I've only had GF2 for about 4 months!!... sorry I'll get to the point... I've benchmrked on 3dmark2001 - I am not telling any scores!... the pooint is when I look at scores on MADONION I see people clocking these cards at 260/whatever...... well you cheats!... how do you get it up to that speed?... is it in NVMAX?..... 'cos using display properties and changing the clock speed in there I can only get up to 210/ something, ... whatever.. those who have tried will know!

svol

Champion
Cards from different manufactures with the same video chipset can differ very much in overclocking, but you say that the max you can choose under that menu is 210. You might want to try to OC it with another app, like this one:
<A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/" target="_new">http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/</A>.
But if you can choose higher but your card won't run properly with it you might need better cooling for the GPU and the RAM on the videocard.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The third party utilities, like NVMax, Geforce Tweak, PowerStrip, Riva Tuner, etc will enable you select higher levels of overclock than than you can with the display adapter panel. This does not necessarily mean you will be able to overclock your card any higher, just that selection is available. However, if you are already at maximum then give one of the utilities a try. I like Geforce Tweak. Get it at <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">www.guru3d.com</A>.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

jlpicard1412

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
I'm quite impressed with your signature... you could write a book full of them I'm sure... anyway I could say my case has got more fans than Gareth (or Will.. or is it Wills).. but that wouldn't be true... at least it's a couple of million short ... there are 5 in my case... one of which is on the Graphics card .. an ST Labs Geforce 2 MX400 64MB.. so what do you reckon it would do? 230.. 240.. and what about the memory clock?

svol

Champion
I overclocked my GF2 MX GPU from 175 to 225 so I guess 240+ would be reasonable, I OC'ed my mem from 166 to 205 MHz, if I push it any higher I get display problems. So I recommend that you OC'ed it a little everytime and then see if it is stable (open some programs on your desktop, try a game) if it is stable continue OC'ing otherwise set it a couple of MHz back.

BTW I have 14 fans inside my case and 1 outside.

jlpicard1412

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
14?... are you seriously OCing your CPU?.. probably an understatment; I have an AMD 1.33GHz, running at 1.33... and it runs at about 44C when idling.. and up to about 54C when running games...that is according to mbprobe..... 14.. sorry 15!!!!!!!!... all from the same power supply?.. what I really ask myself is.. am I going to notice a lot of difference if I do OC the graphics card?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I had a GeForce2 MX400 clocked at 260/260 easily. But it was an Asus V7100Pro that was designed for overclocking with 4.5ns RAM.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

svol

Champion
No I have 2 350W powersupplys (I also have 4 HDs and 3 CDROMs) I'm not yet OC'ing the CPU because I'm working at a watercooler with peltier. But my CPu runs at 30C idle and 35C full load, my case temp is about 25C.

And yes you will see a lot of difference, after OC'ing my card the 3DMark2001 score raised 600 points.